• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob's Big Boy

Haven't been by there lately.
    Are they rebuilding it?????

Re: Bob's Big Boy

Apparently so. I called them a couple of weeks ago to see if they had re-opened or had a scheduled date. The person who answered the phone said they were still renovating and didn't know a date, but she said they're taking a list of names and numbers to call once they know.
    I left mine.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Bob's Big Boy's

Not the best food, or even the best prices, but it's kind of like an old friend.
      Thanks for the update.

Comment

Re: Bob's Big Boy's

From this item in today's Star-Bulletin:

Bob's Big Boy has been closed since the fire in April, but it will be bigger and better when it reopens in several months, said Joseph Hu, an attorney representing the franchise holder.
        "We plan to expand and modernize the kitchen and make it a better restaurant. ... It will be entirely new and modernized," Hu said.
        More seating will be added to accommodate loyal customers, along with a drive-through window and takeout espresso bar, he said. It will take a number of months for an architect to finish drafting the building plan and get it approved by the city permit offices, he added. Hu could not give an estimated completion date.
        A majority of the 60 employees, some of them longtime workers, have maintained contact with the company for rehire. And with the expansion, additional staff will be needed, he said.
        Some $1.5 million in damage was caused to the 34-year-old eatery at 2828 Paa St. by the pre-dawn fire April 13 when a stove burner was left on overnight. It took 36 firefighters to get the fire under control, leaving the kitchen charred and the dining area damaged by water and smoke.
        (...)

If the architect is still working on drawing the plans and getting the permits, it's obviously gonna be quite some time before it re-opens.

Comment

Bob's Big Boy

I passed by Bob's Big Boys yesterday and notice that all the junk in front of the restaurant is gone and a new sign is up. I could not make out the sign but are they reopening soon? My family loves having an occasional weekend breakfast there.

Comment

Having been raised on Bob's Big Boy, I've been anxiously waiting for them to re-open too. I called a few months ago and someone put me on their list of people to call and let us know when they were re-opening.
            After seeing your post, I just called their number (833-3440) to ask. The call went into voicemail, and the recording said "Thank you for calling Bob's Diner, Drive-In and Dinner House." And the message ended with "Thank you for calling Bob's Triple D."
            I guess someone will have to call them during normal business hours to find out what's up.

Comment

I think there was something in the paper the other day about a section of the restaurant opening for limited service to area employees as a convenience - and probably as a trial run for the full re-open. Can't be too far away.

Comment

in the May 13th issue of the Honolulu Star Bulletin:

Bob's Big Boy reopens

An iconic Mapunapuna restaurant has reopened, sort of, following a $1.5 million, accidental fire on April 13 last year.

"Bob's is still under renovation, but we have opened a small portion of the restaurant for area workers," said co-owner Joseph Hu. "We're currently serving coffee, pastries and limited breakfast items, as well as burgers and sandwiches."

About 40 of the restaurant's 200 seats are available from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays.

Renamed Bob's Diner, Drive-In and Dinner House, "we will be fully open in October of this year," Hu said.

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                I think there was something in the paper the other day about a section of the restaurant opening for limited service to area employees as a convenience - and probably as a trial run for the full re-open. Can't be too far away.

Comment

Hawaiiguy's info from the paper was exactly right. I had to get some supplies at Grainger today, so took the opportunity to check out Bob's which is right across the street.
                  Construction is still happening in the front section by the main door, the counter, and the kitchen, so you go in a new side door and there are a dozen or so tables in the section that used to be the very back seating area.
                  The hostess/waitress confirmed my guess that the owners gave up the Bob's Big Boy franchise, but she said that when they re-open in October the menu and food will be exactly the same as before. I sure hope so.
                  They still have the 5' statues of Big Boy, but they've added oversized sunglasses and an aloha shirt.
                  She gave me a paper copy of the menu, if anyone has questions. Breakfast is basic -- muffins, biscuits and gravy, various egg and meat combinations, and a loco moco.
                  Lunch is a burger and chips or sandwiches (ham, tuna, turkey or egg salad) and chips.
                  That's the total of the menu.
                  I was in a rush so didn't try anything.

Comment

I saw they were nearly ready to reopen the other day too as I passed on the Fwy. Maybe the new direction they are taking while retaining the heavily original menu will give us the best of two worlds, a truly local Bob's Big Boy!

While never a huge fan of BBB, I give them major props for the great rebuild of their latest establishment in my old stomping grounds. From the illegal destruction of a large portion of the So. Cal legend Harvey's Broiler in Downey comes new life for a grand tradition. Never have I heard of a company/town taking such sad matters and completely rebuilding ANYTHING as it should be, by using the original architectural plans to put it right back as it belongs. And the new joint look's fab, much like it did during my wonder years, including babes on wheels!http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1
                    If you are unfortunate to be in LA these days, do yourself a time warp favor and see how it used to be done, with style. The lush in/outdoor vegetation that once contributed to the too cool for school atmosphere may return in time, and it would have been perfect should they have kept the landmark fat boy neon signage.
                    It's said this is now the only true drive-in left in all of LA, once the cruising and burger munching capital of the world. And Harvey's Broiler was always a stop. Johnie's Broiler? I never even heard of it... I guess those car hops had my eye.
                    http://www.bobsbigboybroiler.com/bigboybroiler/
                    http://losangeles.grubstreet.com/201...e-in_wins.html
                    http://www.contracostatimes.com/cali...nclick_check=1
                    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 21, 2010, 09:21 AM.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

When I visit Oahu, my first stop for breakfast was Bob's Big Boy...always! Not the best but like Abunaitoo said, it's like an old friend. I hope the eggs are still as greasy as they always were!!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        ...but she said that when they re-open in October the menu and food will be exactly the same as before.
                        I finally had a moment to check it out on Wednesday. It looks exactly as Lika described it nine months ago, 'though the menu is a bit more realized now. The seating is still in that very back section; there are plastic sheets hanging from ceiling to floor to separate the in-reconstruction rest of the joint from the dining area.

I had a loco moco, and it was freaking delicious. The patty was a bit on the tough side but it had nice flavor, and something about the light-brown gravy had me slurping it up with a straw and then licking the plate after. My sunny-side-up eggs were done almost exactly as I like them, with the whites nearly cooked through completely and the yolks warm and runny.

October, huh? I might be surprised if they're fully operational by October of 2011.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Sidetrack: Should the gravy for loco moco be light brown or dark brown? I always thought the latter, but have recently seen the former some places.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            I finally had a moment to check it out on Wednesday. It looks exactly as Lika described it nine months ago, 'though the menu is a bit more realized now. (...) October, huh? I might be surprised if they're fully operational by October of 2011.
                            Thanks for the update, Scriv! I was thinking about them just a couple of days ago.
                            Last time I went in was maybe 6 weeks ago and they were still predicting to be fully open "really soon," but like you, I won't hold my breath.

Comment

I would normally say dark, but I've had some lame dark gravies in my day, and I've had some great lighter gravies. Whatever works, I say.

Koa House has a very dark gravy and you'll often find bay leaves in it, giving one the impression that it's not JUST powdered gravy and water.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X