Google+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google+

I have a long history of falling head-over-heels in love with new online services and social networks, so this probably won't register as anything more than flat-out obsessive geekery, but... I love Google+.

Is anyone else using it? If so, what do you like, and don't like? If not, what's keeping you away? ("Google is scary" is a reasonable answer, though I find Facebook much scarier.) There is no shortage of entries in the "social web," but that it's Google getting into the game -- after several false starts -- that makes this one seem more worthy of attention.

You can watch a series of introductory videos about Google+ from Google on YouTube.

My Google+ profile is here. The Honolulu Star-Advertiser page is here. You can search Google+ for mentions of 'Hawaii' here.

Re: Google+

I signed up for it at the beginning like you. Unlike you however - I don't find the charm of it for now. I don't have many friends who are using it so don't get alot of info in my feed. In fact, nothing from you for a while! Doncha like me anymore?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

So how long has Google+ been available?

Comment

My issue is that very few of my FB friends have G+ accounts. It's like being invited to a party, but you don't know anyone there.

Comment

Five months on, Google+ has grown, added many features, and just unveiled yet another major redesign. It's doing well. It's got 170 million users. Well, sort of.

As much as I love Google+, it's probably a distant second to Facebook. That really should be good enough, but as Danny Sullivan writes, Google is doing itself and its fans a disservice by coming up with ridiculous ways to define a Google+ user, and thus making skeptics doubt just how well it's doing.

If Google’s Really Proud Of Google+, It Should Share Some Real User Figures
          Where Google goes wrong... is the self-denial of the standalone Google+ social network itself, which exists outside the layer. It’s a unique, independent place that million of people happily call home. They turn to it each day, deliberately, not just because they’re checking their Gmail or watching a YouTube video or doing a Google search. They’re using the Google+ the social network itself.Those people deserve to be counted, to know their population, not to be “layerized” simply because Google seems ashamed the numbers aren’t as big as Facebook’s. Google should be proud of those people and what it has accomplished, and giving real figures would show that pride.
          Am I the only one here that spends any time at Google+?

Comment

I don't know about others but I haven't been on there for a very long time. I just didn't find it interesting at all. i'm not a geek and can barely keep up with FB. I guess I'm just not a "social media" type of person
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Facebook and HT are way more than enough social media socializing for me! I can't imagine adding Google+ or Twitter to the mix!

Comment

I should also add that I have limited time for the internet (mostly evenings) so pretty much have to "pick & choose" where I spend my time. I would rather spend it where I have inter-action with more of my friends and where I don't have to put up with anonymous attacks. I have a very small FB "friends" list on purpose - so I personally know who is reading my postings. It keeps things a lot more civil and friendly.
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

At least here you know who's attacking you!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    ... but sometimes, you don't really know who you are attacking.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      Am I the only one here that spends any time at Google+?
                      At this point in time i label myself as a somewhat passive user of Google +.

It's kind of like where Facebook was in 2008.

Maybe in time Google + will grow and dominate. So far not.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think I posted about 4 or 5 items on Google+ since I joined some months ago, with the last posting was about around a month ago.

I think once every couple of weeks or so I would go to Google+ and see what's what.

I should also mention that I haven't signed up for Facebook even through it has been suggested that I do.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          I should also mention that I haven't signed up for Facebook even through it has been suggested that I do.
                          I have avoided it simply because I think (knowing my personality) that I would spend far too much time there --- but I suspect I will not be able to avoid it much longer, as I think it would be a useful tool in my job-search (as all social media can be these days), as well as an aspect of my next jobs.

There are times I wish I could hire someone like pzarquon for a week, to just get me configured on many social media; at the moment, I only use Twitter & LinkedIn. I can be such an old fut, you know.

Comment

I like what Google+ is trying to do, but, with those that are in my "circles", it is just so slow and boring,. There is nothing going on there, that I can't already know of via friends/family on FB.
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield;276340;

No, I don't know because most folks (including me) hide behind a false name. but at least, when confronted - i will take ownership for what I say.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X