Popcorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Popcorn

Heh, we went to Restaurant Row last month and my mom nearly died of happiness when she saw the butter dispenser they had. She wants to go there all the time now just because she can put her own butter.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      Nope, actually it's a local reference to a time back in the early 1970's.

Checker's & Pogo TV Show on KGMB and Pogo Poge's fave was a huge bag of popcorn and icecubes!!

Reggie aka pinakboy
      Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
      Raw Eats Veggie Videos
      Recipe Tube TV!
      Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy
        Checker's & Pogo TV Show on KGMB and Pogo Poge's fave was a huge bag of popcorn and icecubes!!
        Speaking of that, I'm surprised movie theatres in Hawaii haven't offered SHAVE ICE yet (or have they?). Sounds like the perfect combination with Mochi Crunch-Popcorn.
        Last edited by Pomai; July 27, 2006, 07:09 PM. Reason: Rock You Like a Hurricane
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I like the Kettle Korn popcorn. I also like those 100-calorie packets for the microwave. Helps me maintain my ahem girlish figure ahem.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            Speaking of that, I'm surprised movie theatres in Hawaii haven't offered SHAVE ICE yet (or have they?).
            Does Icee count? In any event making shave ice with a lot of flavor options does take time to manage, add to the fact that shave ice tends to be served with part of it outside it's container, making the possibilty of things spilling in the theater itself.

It might be nice to have but it's impartical.

Comment

I love Icee at the movies. And at the movies you can get a sprite one. My favorite Icee spot is the crack seed store on Koko Head Avenue in Kaimuki. That guy in there is such a sweetie pie.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Popped in a nice combo of coconut oil and bacon grease
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

I used to love it drenched in butter and salt.

Then I worked a few years in movie theatres, where one of the perks was "all the popcorn and soda you want, for free." That was when I was in high-school, and you can imagine how much I ingested.

So...until about three years ago, even the smell made me ill. Now, I can handle a few handfuls again, but not much.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                    In any event making shave ice with a lot of flavor options [---] might be nice to have but it's impartical. <impractical>
                    True. ICEE works. As far as making a mess, an overloaded box or bag of popcorn is just as bad, if not worse.

We grew up with JIFFY POP. Far superior in flavor and crunch to the microwave stuff. Used to scare the heck out of me as a kid when the foil would expand to maximum pop. Glad to see they still sell this nostalgic brand.

Speaking of brands, Food Network recently did a biography on Orville Redenbacher. The man sure was into the science of the perfect pop. That wasn't just marketing fluff.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

i know im not the only one who sneaks in a bottle of furikake at the movie theatres, ive seen people pouring it on at the condiments area. im too shame, i wait til the movie starts then pour it on =p
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                        i know im not the only one who sneaks in a bottle of furikake at the movie theatres, ive seen people pouring it on at the condiments area. im too shame, i wait til the movie starts then pour it on
                        Heh. Might I ask you, and everyone else, what brand of furikake you prefer for "hurricane" popcorn? I always seem to buy the wrong one. It's tasty, but not exactly what you get from carts and snack shops.

I definitely sneak in arare, stopping at Longs on my way to the box office. (Hey, I'd buy the arare they sell inside if it wasn't one-third as much arare for four times the price!) Why do they have to put arare in such noisy packages, though?

Comment

the green label =p
                          it says here aji nori furikake.

the prices at the concession stands are high yup, thats supposedly how movie theaters make their money, the money at the door goes to pay for the film. i was thinking the other day that the nachos they sell at dole are an extra rip off. i think it says 'nachos supreme' but its only chips and cheese. and its like $4-5? last night i went to the dollar theater and at least there you can get chili and it comes in container with the cheese and chili on the side. chili smelled funky tho, like cinamon. probably just my nose.
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                            i think it says 'nachos supreme' but its only chips and cheese. and its like $4-5?
                            For that price, it ought to be served to you by Diana Ross...

Comment

The latest in "Popcorn News": Popcorn Maker to Remove Butter Flavoring Chemical Linked to Lung Ailment

The decision comes a day after a doctor at a leading lung research hospital said in a warning letter to federal regulators that consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn.

ConAgra spokeswoman Stephanie Childs said the company decided to remove the butter flavoring diacetyl from its popcorn because of the risk the chemical presents to workers who handle large quantities.

The chemical diacetyl has been linked to cases of bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare life-threatening disease often called popcorn lung.
                              All I know is a badly-burned bag of microwavable popcorn truly smells CAUSTIC enough to cause respiratory problems. Horrors!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Powdered Ranch Dressing packets, salt, curry, celery salt, butter, madras curry, ghee, cumin, chili powder, sugar(or splenda), and plenty more things we have tried, some good, some not too good.
                                flickr

An email from God:
                                To: People of Earth
                                Date: 9/04/2007
                                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                                God

Comment

Working...
                                X