X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 2

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    15-days! That's about as long as the trial period for most shareware applications!

Boy you really go for the bargain basement deals. There you go, can't beat WalMart...not the best but boy what a bargain.

So do you still have it or did you do the smart thing by returning it after receiving the mail-order from Dell?

Hey so what about the petstores? No one has come up with a decent one in Hilo yet!
    I would not get a Dell either...personal preference. I still
    have the computer I bought at Wal-Mart.It works fine
    so I have no reason to. Unlike most people I cannot afford
    a top of the mega thousand dollar computer.

Try looking in the phone book. There used to be a pet store
    in Prince Kuhio Plaza, but they relocated elsewhere. I believe
    the name of it was Stacy's Pets.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Mr.

Hi,

Knda off topic, does anyone know if there was an incentive about getting a membership at sam's club keeaumoku before they open up? I know they will have a membership desk open before the store opens to alleviate some traffic for new members sign up on the opening day, but I thought there was a discout or something. TIA.

ey

Comment

We only have one Sam's Club here in Seattle (it's mostly Costcomania for us up here) but every now and then, we do get 30-day free membership offers in the mail from Sam's Club. No doubt they will start doing campaigns like that in Hawaii too eventually.

Having shopped at both, I personally like the merchandise selection at Costco better than that at Sam's Club. Prices are comparable, though.

Miulang

P.S. They're going to have a Sam's Club and a regular retail store at Keeaumoku??
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          P.S. They're going to have a Sam's Club and a regular retail store at Keeaumoku??
          As far as I understand it will be a Wal-Mart Super Center [First for Hawaii]
          and a Sams Club. I went into a Wal-Mart Super Center up at Quilceda
          Creek north of Everett and it blew me away.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

They're going to have a Sam's Club and a regular retail store at Keeaumoku??
            Yes they will. If I am not mistaken the 1st floor is Sam's Club, the 2nd floor is Wal-Mart. Also on the 1st floor on the Makaloa/Keeaumoku side of the block will be some smaller shops like Starbucks, Jamba Juice and a few others.

Comment

Well you guys are spared a very long-winded essay I wrote on why I hate Walmart because my pc froze up and I lost everything.

I hope the rumors of Walmart expansion on Oahu ends in Kapolei. The fact we no longer have JC Penney's and Woolworths; Kmart and Tower Records are in bankruptcy protection right now, Daiei is in a shaky financial situation as well scares me that there will be no place else to shop but Longs and Walmart.

Where are you Target when we need you? Quite frankly I think they are scared to come here and build one store because they cant compete with the existing Walmart stores and the stores yet to be built.

Walmart I believe wants to build 7 or 8 stores on Oahu. Dont be surprised if
              Daiei in Waipahu and Kailua turns into Walmart after they buy the company and they might also expand at Pearlridge and Hawaii Kai as well.

I also predict Walmart will buy a major grocery chain in the future, possibly Safeway so they can take over all those stores as well.

I hope Tower Records sticks around and doesnt go out of business, if they do where will I go buy my Maxim Magazines and explicit-lyrics CD's. >;-0

Makiki Boy

Comment

Originally posted by makikiboy
                I also predict Walmart will buy a major grocery chain in the future, possibly Safeway so they can take over all those stores as well.
                I think a Daiei buyout is very possible because the yen is still pretty shaky but I doubt you'll see Safeway knuckling under to Walmart. See the link below for the locations of all the Safeway markets throughout N. America:
                http://www.safeway.com/Investor_Relations/

Maybe Kroger (a Cincinnati, OH based company) will want to put its toe into your Hawaii market too. They also own a slew of differently branded megamarkets throughout the country.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; September 15, 2004, 09:08 AM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

In answering eyoung45...we just received an invite to a one-day preview pass to Sam's Club. The pass is issued by Discover Card and expires on Sept. 19th. Guess Discover card is what they use at Sam's club. We are not members of Sam's Club and it offers membership at $35. I've heard from Sam's Club members that unlike Costco (which we are members of) Sam's offers smaller amounts...rather than "bulk" purchases.
                  Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by makikiboy
                    Well you guys are spared a very long-winded essay I wrote on why I hate Walmart because my pc froze up and I lost everything.

See...! God doesn't like those who mock WalMart! Nah you probably bought your computer from WalMart, you see they have this little chip inside that determines if you stay talk stink about it and it shuts you down as soon as it picks up on the words "hate" and WalMart" in the same sentence.

Aaron better take note if you don't want that same fate happening to your WalMart computer. Now that's conspiracy!
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                      Yes they will. If I am not mistaken the 1st floor is Sam's Club, the 2nd floor is Wal-Mart. Also on the 1st floor on the Makaloa/Keeaumoku side of the block will be some smaller shops like Starbucks, Jamba Juice and a few others.
                      Geez. What idiot at Walmart thought of this scheme? You put the "elitist" (membership only") Sam's Club on the first floor with all the other yup establishments and you make the peons who can't or won't pay the membership fee go upstairs to do their discount shopping at Walmart? In real estate, they say location is everything. Do they really think people don't know that Sam's Club is also Walmart?

Miulang

Comment

Ummmm... I thought being an elitist was being on the top! But then again most upper management types are idiots anyway.

I think the reason why they put WalMart on top is simply because they need the floor space for more goods than what Sams Club can provide for. Remember Sam's Club must share the same ground floor space as Starbucks and the rest. I really don't think this is an "Elitist" issue here.

Comment

See...! God doesn't like those who mock WalMart! Nah you probably bought your computer from WalMart, you see they have this little chip inside that determines if you stay talk stink about it and it shuts you down as soon as it picks up on the words "hate" and WalMart" in the same sentence.

see; thats a true PC in action;
                          he actually said;
                          "I dont hate walmart, I love it"
                          THEN it crashed and burned. NOW he hates walmart.

Comment

Ummmm... I thought being an elitist was being on the top! But then again most upper management types are idiots anyway. .
                            It's just curious that they didn't plan to put the Walmart on the ground level where more people would notice it. That, and making the retail mix on that 1st floor be one that has mostly "yuppie" type outlets just had me musing about the logistical decision that was made. (Either that, or SBUX and Jamba don't want to be associated--by virtue of location--with price cutter Walmart!)

Miulang

Comment

or SBUX and Jamba don't want to be associated--by virtue of location--with price cutter Walmart!)

Miulang
                              yea that struck me as odd:
                              didnt think the crowd who would swarm to walmart would be attracted to 20 cents worth of coffee vended to you at 2 dollars.
                              or a buncha fruit blended for 4 bux.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                                yea that struck me as odd:
                                didnt think the crowd who would swarm to walmart would be attracted to 20 cents worth of coffee vended to you at 2 dollars.
                                or a buncha fruit blended for 4 bux.
                                And don't forget most young people who admire SBUX don't even know what a good cup of Java is supposed to taste like because they've never had a good cup of perked coffee (really the only way to make a good cup) or they drown it in cream making it coffee-flavored cream. Starbucks burns their coffee.

Comment

Working...
                                X