Macaroni & Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macaroni & Cheese

Been craving some Macaroni & Cheese, not the microwave kind but rather the Kraft brand in a blue box, so I actually broke down and purchased a few boxes yesterday as well as the stuff need to make (milk and butter, plus a new colander today) it.

Also noticed on the box that Kraft started to sell a Whole Grain version. Didn't see it at Foodland yesterday so has anyone encountered it on Oahu yet?

Re: Macaroni & Cheese

Haven't seen the Whole Grain version yet, but then I just buy elbow macaroni and some sharp cheddar cheese rather than using the Kraft version.

Comment

I WANT to like whole-grain pasta, but my tastebuds have balked thus far. However, I've not tried dousing it in cheese yet! Those who know me are aware that my love of cheese is very rarely rivaled by my love for anything else.

So now I have a question of my own. Where's the best Mac n' cheese you've had and why?

Comment

I absolutely love Kraft Dinner Mac & Cheese. This has been my go to comfort food since I was a youngster. You just can't beat the taste of it - powdered cheese rules!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

If I'm doing the box stuff, it's definitely the Velveeta shells for me. And I like adding salsa to it.

They have mac n' cheees over at Kaiser Hospital a couple of times a week. If it's mac n' cheese day, I can't resist ordering it.

Comment

From time to time, we make a baked mac 'n' cheese based on Alton Brown's "Good Eats" recipe. Yet, I still enjoy the powdered-orange-cheese-like-stuff that comes from a box (but we doctor it up a touch, with some roasted-garlic powder and a pinch of fresh-ground "grains of paradise"*).

When I was working in Charlotte, NC, for a few months back in 2000, I was thrilled to see that many restaurants offered mac 'n' cheese as a "vegetable side dish" option; them's my kind of a people!

(* = If you've never tried "grains of paradise," go - seek it out! You use it like peppercorns, but it's several notches above. Foodie shops will probably carry it, but if not, it's easy to get online. Your foodie cred is on the line if you've not had it.)

Comment

Macaroni is not pasta, it's not even allowed in the house!
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                Matapule's body is the "house that macaroni built!"
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule
                  Matapule's body is the "house that macaroni built!"
                  Did you avoid noodle neck?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield
                    Did you avoid noodle neck?!
                    Have you ever seen a noodle with an 18" circumference?
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule
                      Have you ever seen a noodle with an 18" circumference?
                      Having never even seen a noodle's circumference... I'll play it safe and say no.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        Excuse me Ron but you are wrong - macaroni IS a type of pasta. Pasta is defined by the indgredients, not the shapes it appears in. The shapes are usually what defines the names we are all used to - like spahetti, rigatoni, penne, linguini etc.

and its ALL totally YUM!
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          Pasta is defined by the indgredients
                          Exactly, and there are more/better ingredients to pasta than mac noodles.

Comment

I am pretty much brand if not product loyal to the Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner, but I am kind of open to try new stuff.

I did try a genric macaroni & cheese product a long time ago (in the 1990's), it didn't taste that good, in fact the secert is that powered cheese that is included, it wasn't orange, more a pale yellow powder.

Did pick up a couple of boxes of the BestYet brand Mac & Cheese Dinner, tried one box today, it wasn't that bad and the cheese powder was on the orange side.

Comment

Ron - did you even READ my post? maybe you might have a comprehension problem?

Macaroni is a type of pasta - the same as the others I mentioned. It is made using the same ingredients. The only thing that makes it "macaroni" is its shape.

I apologize for wavering this thread off topic - it was just such a stupid remark that I had to reply I'll quit now and let the rest of you get back to enjoying your mac & cheese!
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X