This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Mayor's Race 2004 - Chapter 2

With the filing deadline passed, it's time to roll over our old thread and start the conversation anew, this time with a poll that lists all ten candidates who have formally filed to run for Honolulu Mayor, and with an open invitation to voters andcandidates to share their thoughts on the race, and on the priorities and positions of those running.
    Duke E. BAINUM
    12.00%
    Daniel H. CUNNINGHAM
    0.00%
    Frank F. FASI
    24.00%
    Theodore W. GIBSON
    0.00%
    Muliufi F. HANNEMANN
    36.00%
    Lillian L. HONG
    24.00%
    Paul A. MANNER
    0.00%
    Glenn L. PINHO
    0.00%
    Michael E. POWERS
    0.00%
    Terrence K. TERUYA
    4.00%

Re: Honolulu Mayor's Race 2004 - Chapter 2

Bainum will get my vote... despite the painfully ridiculous "broom" TV ad he's running now. Second choice would be Frank Fasi.

Of course, that's only my mood today... As we get to know the candidates over the next few weeks (notably Lillian Hong and Terrence Teruya, who've been kind enough to chat with us here), they may climb the charts.

The two things I'm pretty sure won't change in my mind, though, are that Frank Fasi would be too much fun to not consider, and that pretty much anyone else will get my vote before Mufi Hanneman.

Comment

What makes Bainum supporters want to vote for him? What are the issues that set Duke Bainum apart from the other candidates? Without referring to a Bainum website or newspaper link, I would like to know in your own words why Mr. Bainum is your choice for mayor? What are the major issue points that you and the candidate agree on?
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A big chunk of my rationale for voting for Duke Bainum is not issue related -- it's a more subjective, personal evaluation of his character, intelligence, and relevant knowledge and experience. I think less about his position on BRT than I do his overall understanding of it, for example. That's not to say I'd wish he'd change his mind on something if he felt differently than I did, but more that I trust he'd give all sides a fair listen. If and when he comes to a decision, I'd expect him to be confident in it and stick to it.

Another big chunk is that he's not the other candidates. (Specifically, theother leading candidate.) Indeed, I'm not anywhere near a fan of Duke Bainum - I still can't get over those brooms - but have come to the same spot most do in deciding how to vote: he's the most palatable out of a buffet of at best mediocre options.

Both Bainum and Hanneman are saying the exact same things about returning to the basics, shoring up fundamental city services and priorities instead of vanity projects like Harris' ridiculous visions and fantasies, and about integrity, yada yada yada. All things being equal, then, I'm just more confident that Bainum will actually try to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Bainum will get my vote... despite the painfully ridiculous "broom" TV ad he's running now. Second choice would be Frank Fasi.

Of course, that's only my mood today... As we get to know the candidates over the next few weeks (notably Lillian Hong and Terrence Teruya, who've been kind enough to chat with us here), they may climb the charts.

The two things I'm pretty sure won't change in my mind, though, are that Frank Fasi would be too much fun to not consider, and that pretty much anyone else will get my vote before Mufi Hanneman.
          To pzarquon and Mel,
          I am so happy you two are so fast on the speed to make the poll and starting the discussion.
          I am very happy to find out some one, our member, voted for me. I can vote for myself, just like I can vote for myself in the real election, right?
          As to the broom, I did a TV program on it. I specified it is not the city employees are doing all these wrong things. It is the boss. If Dr. Bainum
          wins, Mayor Jeremy Harris will be gone when he becomes the Honolulu Mayor on January 2, 12:01 p.m. Dr. Bainum does not need a broom to sweep clean his own followers. What do you think?
          I admire pzarquon's upfront straight talk. My TV program is called
          Tili'i-Tell it like it is.
          I am a veteran in making TV programs on Olelo channel 54, since 1996. That is the only way I know how with not accepting any campaign contributions. to spread my city issues and that I am a mayoral candidate on air.
          I am in my pre-school stage for this e-mail thing. It took me so long to get to the poll to vote for myself. Ha!
          If any one goes to Collectible Show-this Friday, Sat. and Sunday, at Blaisdell Center, will you please drop by and say Hello? I am a jeweler/crafter by trade.
          Thanks.
          Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Strange that the people who complain the most about all politicians being crooks don't vote. Todays paper said only about 53% here vote, thats why nothing changes. Taxpayers hear the same promises and get same..MORE TAXES. Where is the incentive to vote ? This year is a great year for choice maybe we can vote for the lesser of 10 evils rather than the lesser of 2. I was at Kaimuki NAPA yesterday picking up a timing chain cover gasket for my plymouth duster 340 when John asked the question. What do you hope to accomplish by running for mayor when your chances are none to none.(of course he said he would vote for me). I said even if I don't win I bring to the debate how I feel, how the public feels. Yes I have a hard time smiling and waving to people knowing that all is in chaos in city hall. I am not happy when permits expire to take care of our sewage. Politicians are set in their visions of oahu. I don't see how they can see when falling into pot holes on our streets. Even if you look into the magical waters of our ocean it is clouded with sewage. If this is the type of vision they have for our city, they better change eye doctors and THATS what I bring to the debate. Who do you call when your computer breaks, a technician who fixes the problem or a politician who talks about computer problems... the choice is always yours.
            Last edited by terrence k. teruya; July 29, 2004, 06:30 PM.
            Mahalo Terrence K. Teruya

Comment

Just FYI, it was announced on KHVH radio this week that both Duke Bainum and Mufi Hannemann will participate in a question and answer session live on the radio on August 10. This will be on the Rick Hamada show, tenatively set for between 7 and 10 a.m. in the morning. It will not be a full-on debate but instead a Q & A session where the candidates will answer questions taken from emails sent in to Rick.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Bainum and Hanneman were scheduled to face off this very moment at the Japanese Cultural Center. I wonder what media folks will bother to show up?

Meanwhile, there was a fun profile of perennial candidate and former mayor Frank F. Fasi in today's Star-Bulletin.
                "I'm going to win this mayor's race by a landslide -- that's how confident I am," Fasi proclaimed. "When people get all the issues out and start comparing all of the candidates, they're going to ask questions of those that want to be mayor, 'What have you done?'"

Comment

First of all, any real mayoral candidate who reads this, take it as a joke, OK?

Good.

Now. I am tempted to vote for Frank, not because I particularly like him, but because if Ann Kobayashi and Charles Dzhou think they have trouble with Mayor Harris, I'd absolutely love to see them try to get along with Da Mayor.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

It's funny, and a little sad. I'm voting for Bainum but mostly because he's not Hanneman. But after suffering through more than a few godawful Bainum TV ads, and then seeing Fasi being feisty as ever on the TV news last night, I turned to my wife and said, "Ah, hell, voting for him would at least be better than 'none of the above.' I might vote for Fasi just for the hell of it."

She replied, "Me too."

Aha. A campaign strategy.

Frank F. Fasi for Mayor: What The Hellâ„¢

Comment

Leasehold conversion is the determining factor in the election for me. I favor forced leasehold conversion. What are the positions of Hanneman, Bainum, and Fasi on forced leasehold conversions

Comment

Originally posted by Bobted
                        Leasehold conversion is the determining factor in the election for me. I favor forced leasehold conversion. What are the positions of Hanneman, Bainum, and Fasi on forced leasehold conversions
                        Unless any of them post here, I doubt you're gonna find out. If I wanted to know specifics, I'd Google for their respective websites, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                          Unless any of them post here, I doubt you're gonna find out. If I wanted to know specifics, I'd Google for their respective websites, if any.
                          And, just since I'm feeling at loose ends at the moment, ( ) here are the sites:

Bainum: http://www.dukebainum.com

Hanneman: http://www.votemufi.com

Fasi: Apparently none

Comment

Originally posted by Bobted
                            What are the positions of Hanneman, Bainum, and Fasi on forced leasehold conversions.
                            Though my Google-fu isn't what it used to be, as far as I can tell, both Hanneman and Bainum have come up on the side of leaseholders over landowners in the forced leasehold conversion battle. Hanneman introduced one of the more contentious forced conversion bills at Kuapa Isle (though he punted on the same question a few years earlier). Bainum also voted in favor of a forced conversion bill in 2002 (and protested when an activist implied that she'd put a curse on councilmembers).

Neither of their websites put this question front and center, that's for sure. And I'm bummed to say Hanneman definitely hired the better web developer.

Fasi, I don't know. Though by his history and the past battles he's chosen (opposing developers), I would guessthat he'd also align himself with those advocating leasehold conversions.

Comment

8-13-04 11:56 p.m.
                              Re: leasehold conversion

I am having so much problems on opening the reply column to write. It's been almost about more than 2 weeks. I did open this website every night. I did read some of the articles from your members. Somehow, to-night is the night I can start typing.
                              Re: leasehold conversion
                              Please remember one thing: Nobody forced anybody to sign on any purchasing contracts!
                              We mortgaged 2 leasehold properties a long time ago. Our agents explained to us very clearly. The info. about the leasehold conditions were very clearly stated on the contracts.
                              When you signed it. You know you are paying less the land. You know that.
                              You know they are going to take back the land at the end of the specific date! You know that.
                              A law is a law. You signed it. You pick up the consequences!
                              You need to honor what you signed.
                              I am, as one of the mayoral candidate, I don't believe it is a mayor's role to get involved with this. I am not saying it is not a huge problem now in this city & county of Honolulu. I felt very sorry for those really are being hurt tremendously when theeir final date of expiration dates are already there or are coming closer and closer to be actually scarry!
                              You're welcome to educate me.
                              Love, Lillian Hong
                              P.S. We no long have the 2 leasehold properties. They were foreclosed when we filed for bankruptcy in 1999. We paid out along the years, and we got 0 back.

Comment

Working...
                              X