Hawaii State Legislature - 2004 Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii State Legislature - 2004 Session

The State Legislature's 2004 session is over... more than 500 bills and resolutions were passed by the legislature this session. The Governor still has about 240 bills or so to consider before the July 13 deadline. A bill can either be signed into law, pass into law without the Governor's signature or vetoed by the Governor effectively killing the bill unless both houses of the Legislature meets in special session and overrides the veto by a 2/3 margin.

The major legislation passed out early this year.

Depending on your point of view, the major issues that got tackled by the legislature this year included some kind of education reform (which some think it was while other think it was not true reform), some tightening of several drug laws (treatment was favored over incarceration for most drug offenders), delaying of the gas cap law, and the doling out of pay raises to several government sector union workers.

Depending on your point of view, you could label a lot of the legislation as either "bad" or "good". It all depends on your point of view. Several high profile bills never passed even though they may have had broad support by certain segments of the community.

More than 80 bills from the 2004 session have become law, with Governor Lingle signing most of them. Six bills so far were vetoed by her, but became law after the legislature overrode those vetoes with more than the required 2/3 majority. Three became law without her signature.

Do you think this year's legislature accomplished anything good? Or were the bills signed into law marked a further erosion of our freedom or at least monies from our pocketbooks? Do you keep up with what is going on at the legislature? Do you even care?

If you could, what letter grade (using the familiar A, B, C, D & F) would you give the legislature?

This thread is for the discussion of the 2004 Legislature.....
    [b]A[/b] - Excellent
    0.00%
    [b]B[/b] - Good
    0.00%
    [b]C[/b] - Average
    71.43%
    [b]D[/b] - Poor
    14.29%
    [b]F[/b] - Total Failure
    0.00%
    I don't keep up with the Legislature
    14.29%
    I don't care what they do
    0.00%
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Hawaii State Legislature - 2004 Session

Lingle’s job rating tops Legislature’s
    Nelson Daranciang, Star-Bulletin, August 10, 2004
    Forty-two percent of the voters said Lingle is doing a better job, 19 percent said the Legislature is doing better and 13 percent said neither. More than one-fourth of the respondents, 26 percent, said they did not know... Senate President Robert Bunda said the results are not a bad reflection on the Legislature considering the effort Lingle puts into public relations.

Comment

I'm not sure what grade I'd give them, but I notice that a notice at the bottom of the poll says it's closed. After three votes? I've heard of small sample sizes, but this is ridiculous!
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

A dormant topic comes back to life... at the time I created the topic (shortly after the legislature was over) I thought for sure people would have something to say... but noooo.... nothin... the poll was set to last 2 weeks I believe... no one was interested in the Legislature at the time until PZ put in the new item yesterday... oh well, I'll see if I can get the poll reset or somthin'.... PZ?
        Last edited by mel; August 10, 2004, 09:36 AM. Reason: added more
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The default poll setting closes them down after two weeks. But long dormant threads come to life fairly often, to be sure. Just in case the Star-Bulletin/KITV poll spurs some response, begging Mel's pardon, I've reopened it again.

Comment

Geesh... we on at the same time. Great. I don't have to go and figure out how to reset the poll, plus I probably can't anyway. Thanks Ryan.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ok, I have now voted. I gave them a C for average, in the sense of "typical." Some of them come up with creative ideas to avoid ethics rules, and public outcry (or at least editorial writers) scream bloody murder, and they back down for a session and then try again. The Republicans try to make symbolic points, get outvoted, and then say they'll use those votes to run against the Dems in the fall.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
              X