Personal copiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal copiers

We have a fax machine which, in theory, can make copies. In practice, partly because it's the sheet-feeder variety, it doesn't do that very well. If you want a copy of a newspaper clipping, for example, either you paste it onto an 8 1/2 x 11 page or you take it to someplace that has a copier.

This has bugged us forever, but not enough to do anything about it other than take the desired item along on a trip to Safeway or wherever.

So I'm curious. Who's got a personal copier at home?
    Yep
    57.14%
    Nope
    42.86%
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Personal copiers

Sort of. I have a scanner, and I have a laser printer. When I put a document into my scanner and press the big green Copy button, it scans my document and a copy spits out of my laser printer. Does that count?

Comment

I have a printer and a scanner.

reason: I am a BLOGGER!

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; January 24, 2006, 03:54 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I have a home copier...in the office! I just don't need a big, beefy copier. That, and Kinko's is across the street! At home I use either the fax or the scanner. The scanner works just like Glen says.

Comment

An actually home copier, no. But I do have a scanner connected to one computer and a laser printer connected to another computer. The only drawback that I notice is that if I scan a page it doesn't save it at 100%, it's like around 98% size, which is an issue for me if I am dealing with model rocket fin patterns (last thing I need is for the fins to get smaller each time I scan the sheet or plans).

Comment

I personally think that soon enough... copiers will be a thing of the past.

As we move into this digital era... I think people will become more conscience about the amount of paper they are wasting.

Just the other day at our office... I noticed someone printing out a 250 page .PDF file that was sent to everyone in the office. So I asked them why they printed it out... there answer..."I don't like reading things on the computer screen" So in essence this person used up a half ream of paper for a document that I later saw in the recycle bin of our office. (at least he attempted to recycle it... however what a waste of new paper) This was from a State worker who has worked for the State for over 15 years now.

I wonder just how many trees this worker has killed alone?
            And not only that...just think of all the wasted ink too?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              I personally think that soon enough... copiers will be a thing of the past.

As we move into this digital era... I think people will become more conscience about the amount of paper they are wasting.

Just the other day at our office... I noticed someone printing out a 250 page .PDF file that was sent to everyone in the office. So I asked them why they printed it out... there answer..."I don't like reading things on the computer screen" So in essence this person used up a half ream of paper for a document that I later saw in the recycle bin of our office. (at least he attempted to recycle it... however what a waste of new paper) This was from a State worker who has worked for the State for over 15 years now.

I wonder just how many trees this worker has killed alone?
              And not only that...just think of all the wasted ink too?
              That person should be reported to his superiors and be taught not waste tax payers money! Auwe!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Does a multifunction printer/scanner/copier count? What about a fax/copier machine?

"if it doesn't multitask, then it doesn't belong in this house"
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I have an HP 4-in-one machine that prints, copies, scans and faxes. It has a flatbed top for the scanning as well as copying.

I think this is the way to go because you can use it as a stand alone color copier that's easy to use. Just put the document face down on the glass, close the lid and press either the color copy button or the B/W copy button, just like a photo copier. You don't even need to have it hooked up to the computer to do copy work or to receive incoming faxes.

My old school Mom bought a Canon personal copier for around $200 while my 4-in-one cost me about $150. Mine can do anything hers can do plus three other functions for less. I'm trying to convince my mom to get rid of that clunker for something more efficient, but she's old school and doesn't like change.

Her 13-inch VCR/TV combo broke down so many times that when she needed to pick it up at the Sears repair shop here in Hilo for the fourth time, they gave her a new machine because the old one just was too much bother to fix anymore. The service technician begged me to tell her to change her ways. I just laughed and thanked them for at least giving her a new combo TV set. But now my mom had to learn the functions of another machine! She may have well gone DVD recorder and use the same brain cells to learn that machine instead
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I use a scanner and a printer. Works fine.

As a side note, I use Winfax instead of my fax machine for incoming faxes. That way, I can review the fax before printing, and often decide to not print it at all. That saves a few sheets of paper (nothing to compensate for the 250 page documents mentioned above, but it does save me paper and I never have to buy fax machine ink).

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                      I use a scanner and a printer. Works fine.

As a side note, I use Winfax instead of my fax machine for incoming faxes. That way, I can review the fax before printing, and often decide to not print it at all. That saves a few sheets of paper (nothing to compensate for the 250 page documents mentioned above, but it does save me paper and I never have to buy fax machine ink).
                      I like the online fax service I use for the same reason. The faxes come in as PDFs and can be stored on my hard drive and can also be emailed if necessary. It saves a lot a paper. Instead of copying documents, I usually fax them to myself so I can keep them on the computer then print if needed.

Comment

I need to find a copier for a client. What models and/or brands do you guys like to work with?
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                          I need to find a copier for a client. What models and/or brands do you guys like to work with?
                          The first question to be asked is "what's the expected volume?" That will determine how "big" a copier is required.

If the client is a single-person firm, then maybe a personal copier would do. Otherwise it gets trickier.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            If the client is a single-person firm, then maybe a personal copier would do.
                            or a scanner.
                            or a fax machine with copier capabilities.
                            or a printer that copies.
                            or an all in one.
                            or a handheld scanner.

Comment

i have a hp 4in1. it was about $400 but also includes a network option, which is handy if you dont have a pc that is always on. its pretty good, i used to use brother 4in1's, but had to replace them every 2 years.
                              an important thing to look at besides the price of the unit is the cost of the toner and/or drum cartidges. for the brother it was $60 for the toner cartidge that printed out about 5000 pages, and the drum unit which had to be replaced every once in a while was about $100. the hp uses a combo cartridge that outputs 2000 pages and costs about $80.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                              X