Nigerian tries to blow up plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigerian tries to blow up plane

So this guy who indicates was acting upon al Qaida's orders tries to blow up a plane on US soil is foiled by passengers.

Now could he have actually blown up this airliner using what was a powdery mix of chemicals attached to his legs?

"....so we decided to test out this myth on Mythbusters by actually using this terrorist and planting him inside this gutted out Boeing 737 in this California boneyard to see just if he could carry out this dasterdly plot..."

KABOOM!!! CONFIRMED!! Yes he could in fact have caused horrific carnage IF he were allowed to ignite this crude bomb. Moral of this myth: Don't try this stunt in a real airliner because chances are you'll be used as a test dummy in a future episode of Mythbusters!

And that's how we take care of terrorists bent on blowing things up here in the United States of America. Mythbusters needs more test dummies. Ballistics Gel is getting too expensive to destroy, use Al Qaida terrorists, they want to blow up anyway and Mythbusters is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Nigerian tries to blow up plane

If he'd really wanted to blow up the plane, he would have detonated his bomb in the toilet and avoided heroic other passengers managing to stop him.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

After Richard Reid, the "shoe bomber," we had to all start taking our shoes off before boarding a plane. Now that someone has tried explosive materials attached to their legs, will we start having to drop trou during screening?

Comment

So where and when did this happen?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          So where and when did this happen?
          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122601150.html

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            After Richard Reid, the "shoe bomber," we had to all start taking our shoes off before boarding a plane. Now that someone has tried explosive materials attached to their legs, will we start having to drop trou during screening?
            I'll do it if it prevents me from blowing up!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Now that someone has tried explosive materials attached to their legs, will we start having to drop trou during screening?
              We sat around work [during a break, of course] discussing this. We decided that our future might be an "airline travel check-in" of passing through a room where you discard all of your clothing, and then are issued a sort of hospital gown. NO carry on luggage or articles (including purse, laptop, cel phone). And, all regular luggage would be sent on a separate plane (on the plane where the mail and commercial cargo will be sent), so that the cargo area of commercial flights is bomb free also. Hopefully the airline-issued clothing will not have a gap in the back like a hospital gown. And your luggage will not be arriving at the same time as you, since it is on a different plane. You'll have to wear that gown until your luggage either catches up to you, or you get to a store. Perhaps the airports could have a clothing store at the "exit". A government entity could be created to run the store. And government contracts could be given out to furnish the gowns. That would insure that it cost a lot of tax payer money to implement.

By the time we got this far in planning, our break was over.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

This could be the best thing ever to happen to Amtrak.

TSA: Protecting You From Yesterday, Tomorrow.

Comment

Police Arrest 'Disruptive' Passenger Aboard Plane at Detroit Airport

This is not a repeat from Christmas Day.

Comment

Doesn't airport security already have machines that are supposed to detect bombs on a person? They puff out little jets of air. I've seen these at airports before, and I've been through them before, although I notice it seems to be a random screening thing (I swear they only chose to send me through because I was wearing a skirt).

I've done a lot of traveling the past few years, mostly by airplane but occasionally by Greyhound or Amtrak; it's amazing how lax the security is at the latter two as compared to by air. Bus/train passengers aren't screened; their bags aren't x-rays; they aren't checked for tickets before being allowed in the waiting area. I remember when a man on a Canadian Greyhound decapitated another passenger -- it happened the same night I had been stranded at a Greyhound station for eight hours. And yet no security measures have since been implemented to prevent passengers from bringing weapons onto a bus. I wonder why this is? Is it because less lives would be lost on a bus as compared to an airplane? Or because the threat was from an individual rather than a terrorist organization?
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Once I was going thru the detectors with a handcarry that just happened to be used to carry my fireworks stash a few years earlier when going to my bro-in-law's home in Kapolei. After a long moment of searching and questioning, they let me board the plane minus my handcarry which was put in as luggage after they practically tore the bag apart. Worse yet the bag was an Army Surplus ammo bag...you know the kind that guys use for tools nowdays?
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I just hope I'm behind one beautiful wahine when they ask her to lift up her skirts.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

This was a Nigerian on an international flight - I just don't see how it's properly placed in 'The American Asylum" section, since the antagonist was a foreigner.
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

This news item has also been a topic of discussion in matapule's fale the last couple of days. Ta'ahine numero uno is in upper level management in the freight division for a major airline that services the US, Europe, and the Middle East. I relate the following, not to scare people, but to inform them.

Air freight is carried in the belly of many passenger planes. That freight is being sent and arriving from places all over the world. That freight may consist of something as mundane as newspapers to something more exotic like snakes or tarantula spiders.....and everything in between. Most airlines use sub contractor "freight forwarders" to assemble the pallets on which the air freight is loaded and then deliver the pallet to the tarmac for loading. It is the responsibility of the freight forwarder (and originating country security - in the case of the USA, TSA) to screen that freight before loading on a plane. Right now, the requirement is that only 50% of that freight is screened at random. New standards are in the works to screen 100% of the freight with x-ray, but who knows when those standards will go into affect because of high cost of equipment and additional personnel. The security of the aircraft is only as good as the security at the freight forwarders.

Right now, a terrorist organization has a 50/50 chance of blowing up an aircraft with a bomb attached to an altimeter fuse attached to a package of "air freight." It won't take them long to figure this out. My fear is that these inept "suicide bombers" on planes are nothing but a diversionary tactic, to make security take their eye off the ball. Terrorists are anything but dumb and inept. This particular episode in the news is very fishy. Why didn't he blow up the plane while he was in the head?

Bottom line, is that you cannot expect cheap tickets from airlines and still expect air tight security. There are lots of potential hidden costs in those cheap tickets, some of them lethal.
                            Last edited by matapule; December 28, 2009, 06:47 AM.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                              This was a Nigerian on an international flight - I just don't see how it's properly placed in 'The American Asylum" section, since the antagonist was a foreigner.
                              ...who tried to blow up a flight over American soil. Put your toy cop-badge away.

Comment

Working...
                              X