Price structure for my business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Price structure for my business

back in the early 80's I used to work for a computer leasing company. I drove all the way out to Leeward Community College to troubleshoot a terminal that wouldn't respond.

It was in the admin bldg and I sat my briefcase down and went to work. After few minutes I couldn't find anything wrong so I asked for the person who made the call. She came over and was amazed that I fixed it so fast.

I told her I couldn't find any problems, I just turned it on and it booted up as it should.

"Turned it on...you mean it was turned off?"

"Uh...yeah it has to be on to work"

Apparently she normally leaves the terminal on when she leaves work but that night I guess a cleaning crew must have turned it off. I didn't have the heart to charge her the $50 for the service call.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      Oh, there certainly are CLUELESS computer users out there. [...]
      <raising hand and blushing> Uh huh!
      Dang, Adrian, I wish you were a Maccie!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Oh, there certainly are CLUELESS computer users out there. My cousin was a principal of an elementary school in Kona, where she told me one older teacher first thought the mouse was supposed to be used as a foot pedal (like a sewing machine)!!!
        It truly is sad that DOE still has MANY teachers that refuse to have computers at home... and still need help doing things like basic internet searches.

I would personally estimate that the majority of seniors in High schools in Hawaii, can operate a computer better than a teacher that has taught in Hawaii for 20 plus years.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          Ai-ya, you really DO want to get ripped off, don't you? Someone gonna call you and hassle you over every little thing, for months and months, and you can't charge 'em any additional service fees, 'cause you said "unlimited time"?
          Unlimited time for a day. So, if I go to a client's house today, but then he calls me tomorrow, then that'll be another service charge, both along with the additional fees.

ATM, I'll get rid of the "service fee", and raise the services' prices to no more than $50. Does that sound right? (again, I don't want to discourage business because of how the other people are charging).
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
            Unlimited time for a day. So, if I go to a client's house today, but then he calls me tomorrow, then that'll be another service charge, both along with the additional fees.

ATM, I'll get rid of the "service fee", and raise the services' prices to no more than $50. Does that sound right? (again, I don't want to discourage business because of how the other people are charging).
            Adrian, those rates that the Geek Squad is charging are standard industry rates...they are what they know people will pay. You don't have to charge as much (because for the time being you are only a one man operation and you won't be on call 24x7), but you should charge more than what you were originally thinking. And you really really should look into the free business advice from SCORE or the Small Business Administration. That way, you won't end up making the same mistakes others have made in the past when setting up their businesses. For one, you do need a good business plan so you'll know what targets you want to hit and by when. Running your business ad hoc without a business plan is going to cause you problems down the road, if not with the Feds, then with the State.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I updated pricing list:
              Service Fee: $50/unlimited time /each day
              *this is added on for every service needed after 12 hours*

Hardware
              Hardware installation:$25 per hardware component
              Hardware cleaning: $15 per computer
              Network installation (wired or wireless): $30

Software
              Basic virus/spyware scan and removal: $30/session
              Software (re)install: $20/software (must have software)
              Tutorials: $25/software
              I looked at a few computer-enthusiast sites, and they charge $75/hour for onsite service (flat fee), and I'm sure I'll have to get to that level, but for now I'm going under that until the business gets better (or when I expand the services). And I'll give 10% discount for anyone who shows my business card (meaning that they got the referral from an existing client).
              Last edited by adrian; July 21, 2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, and I think you also need to look into purchasing some kind of liability insurance policy in case somebody decides they want to sue you for faulty work. You should be bonded so you can say your work is guaranteed. (If you worked for a company, they would provide that insurance for you).

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; July 21, 2006, 06:48 PM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

What if a client refuses to make a payment?

Comment

Das why you give dem one estimate/contract and you make dem sign da estimate which says they agree dey going pay you. If dey don't, take 'em to small claims court, but dat going cost kala. I really really think you need to go get some business advice! You also going need one accountant because you going have to pay business taxes (state and federal).

Miulang

P.S. If you going start one business, you better act like one business from day one. Neva agree to do any work without getting something in writing. Old times you could get by with the other guy's promise, but nowadays cannot trust other people because it's too easy to sue somebody.
                    Last edited by Miulang; July 22, 2006, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I charge $45 just to go to someones house/business. If it is a big business then it is $75 an hour.

Simple spyware clean up and virus check runs $25. If it gets to be a regedit nightmare then it is $45. Worse case scenario when saving data is a must $90 (you gotta cover your butt when saving data is critical, may take forever!)

I do hardware but I estimate that by the job because you never really know how long it may take. especailly when you have driver conflicts! I just upgraded a computer to a 16mb AGP card from a PCI video card. It was Win98 1st edition. I had to remove all the old drivers manually after the computer crashed on the new drivers. took me 2 hours. then I had to fight with Direct X and then the sound driver decided to crash. arrrrgggghhhh!

at your prices you can work for me!

another thing: I no longer feel sorry for people. They say they have no money. How come they have a brand new laptop computer from Dell that cost $1200 ?? Then they don't have a job and are on the 'net all day picking up spyware from myspace and limewire?? and playing chatty katty....If you can play you can PAY!
                      Last edited by speedtek; July 22, 2006, 07:04 AM.

Comment

then you leave the computer in the same state as when you came.....on the anti-virus and spyware scannner they have the buttons or registry entries that you can click on to return the entries that were removed. I also uninstall the programs I put in. let them figure it out themselves. They always call back and I charge them double.

....Eh junior boy (or honey girl) watch what he doin' so you can fix em yourself next time! (hear that all the time, the kids is too lazy fo figure that out!) NEXT!

Comment

I just checked craigslist.org, and I think I have some small time compeition if I advertise there. Some people are charging flat rates, but if I go that route, then like you guys said: I'll get lowballers and other low-lifes.

Comment

I'm kinda thinking, Adrian, that since you don't yet have any of the normal, business overhead...office rent, utilities, inventory...word of mouth might be the best type of advertising along with a few strategically placed 'blurbs' around the Waipahu area. Maybe start close to home and let those happy customers spread the word. You're also spreading the word online which has already netted you a happy customer or 3. Slow and steady! Yah, I'd stay away from craigslist and mass advertising for the time being.

Comment

Working...
                            X