Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will win the Best Hawaiian Album Grammy this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will win the Best Hawaiian Album Grammy this year?

'Masters' of the Grammy
    It was, as baseball legend Yogi Berra would have put it, "deja vu all over again" at the Grammy Awards yesterday as "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Volume 1" won in the best Hawaiian album category. It is only the second year that a Grammy has been awarded in this category, and both times, a compilation of ki ho'alu has won...
    Slack-key masters win Grammy award
    And the Grammy goes to ... ki ho'alu. Again. The live, multiartist instrumental and vocal compilation "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Vol. 1" won the Grammy for best Hawaiian music album yesterday... Two of the disc's three co-producers, Daniel Ho and Wayne Wong, accepted trophies for the compilation.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      Well, one reason is because I just noticed that your "post count" here is at 666 and since that's the sign of the devil...
      Can't explain that one --- or can I? BWAH-Hah-haaah!!!
      But seriously. I wonder about the fact that both year's winners were compilation albums. Makes me wonder if the Grammy voters were just lazy and took the safe way out, or... ?
      When there are about 17,000 Academy members, and only about 100 are from Hawai`i, guess how the voting will play out? In the case of most Mainlanders, if they know any Hawaiian music at all, it'll be old Hapa-Haole ("Hawai`i Calls" type), or Ki Ho`alu (because so many of those artists have been doing Mainland tours.)
      I don't have the one that won today, so to anyone who does have it -- can you please tell me/us how many of the songs on it are strictly instrumental and how many have vocals? And of those with vocals, how many are sung in Hawaiian?
      Here's the track lineup ---
      1 Hi'ilawe (vocal) Pahinui, Cyril (4:54)
      2 Maunaloa Slack Key (instrumental) Kaapana, Ledward (1:50)
      3 I'll Remember You (vocal) Kahumoku, Keoki (5:00)
      4 Slack Tides (instrumental) Ho, Daniel (2:57)
      5 Ku'u Pua I Paoakalani (instrumental) Kotani, Ozzie (4:44)
      6 Moani Ke'ala (vocal) Kahumoku, George Jr. (2:06)
      7 Hula O Makee (vocal) Pahinui, Cyril (4:02)
      8 Maika'i Ka Makani O Kohala (instrumental) Kotani, Ozzie (3:01)
      9 Sweet Lelehua (vocal) Kahumoku, Keoki (4:19)
      10 Mauna Kea Mosquito (instrumental) Kahumoku, George Jr. (2:11)
      11 Lia (instrumental) Ho, Daniel (5:10)
      12 Little Rock Getaway (instrumental) "Da 'Ukulele Boys" (1:22)

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        There's an error in the caption for the SB feature - they credit Keoki Kahumoku as a Producer; he was not - he was a performer, but Daniel Ho, Wayne Wong & Paul Konwiser are the Producers.

Comment

"I was talking to (online radio deejay) Aloha Joe when they announced the winner, and I forgot I was on the album until they called me to take pictures," Kaapana said, adding that it was exciting to be finalist -- let alone to be a part of a Grammy-winning album.
          That's typical Ledward.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            Auntie... I know I mentioned this before....Heheheheh...

Ledward and Nedward are my wifes uncles...(and they are cousins with the late Dennis Pavao)

Damn... my wife has one big family...Most sprung from the Puna district on the Big Island...Dating back to the 1800's!!!

So needless to say you know where my vote went
            manoasurfer123, Uncle Herman and the gang upstairs is having a party! Da Ohana all ova hea is proud too! Yippeee!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
            X