Recipe for slow cooker laulau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe for slow cooker laulau

Howzit gangies! I wonder if you guys can help me out. Does anyone know the recipe to make laulau with the slow cooker? I got one for a gift and I like try make laulau. I seen awhile back on TV had Sam Choy making it in the slow cooker. I tried searching for the recipe on the net, but couldn't find it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Recipe for slow cooker laulau

Try the recipe section at Aloha World Ohana Lanai. If you go to join, you'll see that there was quite the lively discussion about laulaus a few months back.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Or you could just sit tight on Hawaii Threads and wait for a few suggestions.

Why send people to another message board when there's enough knowledgeable folks here?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
        Or you could just sit tight on Hawaii Threads and wait for a few suggestions.

Why send people to another message board when there's enough knowledgeable folks here?
        Oh...scuse me. I didn't know it was an exclusive thing. They do have the best Hawaiian recipes on the web. And they like to share.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's a recipe for crockpot laulau.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

John Fischer who edits the Hawaii/South Pacific site for About.com has compiled several laulau recipes.

Ma'ona posted a four-hour laulau recipe in his blog, followed by an entry focused on the wrapping. The intial recipe included links to two Star-Bulletin articles on laulau:And Reid of 'Ono Kine Grindz adapted his laulau recipe to serve two, using a steamer, ready to eat in under an hour.

Comment

Aloha,
              The recipe is quite simple. I use it all the time. 5 to 6 quart crockpot is good.
              Take one pork butt, about 5 to 6 lbs. and cut into smaller managable chunks. Get about 1 1/2 lb. luau leaf rinsed clean-can be more or less if you like. Line bottom of crockpot with about half of leaves. Shove pork butt on top of that. Use the bone in, the bone adds more flavor. Sprinkle little bit Hawaiian salt on top and put rest of leaves on top. Cook on low overnight or for at least 10 hours. When done, just pull out the bone, get one big serving ladle and mix everything up. Add more salt if not enough. Comes out perfect every time! Enjoy!

Comment

Roddee, your recipe sounds interesting, although it sounds almost like a "DRY LAULAU STEW" since you eventually mix it all up. I guess no mattah.. buss out da' poi and it's all good!

IMO, I find slow cookers -as advertised - too slow! This rather classic electrical appliance was originally designed for busy working folks who could turn it on before leaving to work and come home to a fully cooked meal. But how many people actually do that? I never have in my life and we've owned one for years.

I can do a killer beef pot roast in about 2 hours on the stove top vs. 6-10 hours in a slow cooker. That's just me. I'm impatient. Plus, I like to tend to my cooking vs. the fire-and-fuggetabouddit method.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  But how many people actually do that?
                  My mom did it all the time growing up (like, 8 years ago) - ribs, whole chickens, big ol' pork shoulders, stew, chili, split pea soup - ahhh and every single thing was good, except the split pea soup, which I think I had to dislike cuz the kids in the cartoons did . The ribs were by far my favorite. I actually preferred when she used the crockpot cuz when we all got home at 6 pm, only thing left to make was a salad or veggie and I didn't have to wait an hour to eat.

I cook in mine about once a week, sometimes more depending on our schedules. My favorite recipe is one that I've had coworkers who cooked only with their crockpots during the week.

Comment

Wow, look at all the replies! Mahalo for all the info and links, I'll probably try different recipes and see what I like! Thanks again, you guys are the best!

Comment

Working...
                    X