Chicken long rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken long rice

I was going to ask whatever is this stuff (which I've never seen before coming to the islands) but found a http://www.hisurf.com/Luau/chicken_long_rice.htm recipe.

Gotta admit I don't like it at all. Not even the birds will eat it.

Re: Chicken long rice

Hmm. Birds refusing to eat chicken. I think there might be a few rational explanations for that!

Pity it wasn't to your liking. I like the stuff. Simple, tasty (in that basic brothy, salty way) but not too heavy, and easy to make. My wife made a perfect batch her first try! Not enough to make a meal, but as a side? I'll take it.

Here's a recipe from Sam Choy and Emeril Lagasse.

Comment

Doves not eating chicken is like rabbits not eating beef. Doesn't mean much.

My big problem with chicken long rice is that it's almost impossible to eat because the noodles keep sliding away from me, regardless of whether I use chopsticks or a fork. Does any other local dish use those rice noodles, anyway?

Comment

Actually, I love the stuff. I remember eating that all the time while I lived in Hawaii and even miss it now that I've been away. My grandmother who was half hawaiian and half filipino used to make it all the time. She also made chicken with papaya, another favorite of mine.
        Oh, try using one of those spoons they give you when you eat saimin. I used to eat the long rice with a big spoon when I was young till I discovered those soup spoons that they used for saimin.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          My big problem with chicken long rice is that it's almost impossible to eat because the noodles keep sliding away from me, regardless of whether I use chopsticks or a fork. Does any other local dish use those rice noodles, anyway?
          We also use the bean thread (noodles) when making Chicken Hekka. The noodles are cut into shorter pieces so they're easier to spoon up. Oh and for my chicken hekka, I add shiitake mushrooms and omit the watercress. Just add and omit ingredients to make it your own recipe.
          Send POI

Comment

When I was younger I would not like to eat the long rice due to it's looks. Now I can eat it. Forgive for asking this but I take it long rice is rice that's processed in a way to look like a noodle?

Comment

Oh, the birds do eat chicken! The little zebra doves and the bulbuls are quite fond of chicken, turkey and even beef. The big spotted neck doves are equally fond of catfood.

But chicken long rice they didn't touch when I threw some away on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                I was going to ask whatever is this stuff (which I've never seen before coming to the islands) but found a http://www.hisurf.com/Luau/chicken_long_rice.htm recipe.

Gotta admit I don't like it at all. Not even the birds will eat it.
                Here's more recipes for it ovah heah: try look

an heah too

I love chicken long rice... make it a lot. Da birds no get chance.
                Aloha,
                Mokihana

Comment

Had long rice with tofu and mushrooms as a course for a buffet dinner on Monday night.

Comment

Working...
                  X