Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's your cellular phone provider?

Originally posted by helen
    The only weird thing for me is that my phone is in the 360 area code but I get the impression that Miulang's TracFone service is in the 808 area code?
    It dawned on me when I first got the phone, I used TracFone's web site to activate the phone. During that process it ask's for your zip code and by mistake I switched the 2nd and 3rd digits, so instead of 968xx, I entered 986xx which puts me in the Washington area and hence the 360 area code. Even through I was able to correct the zip code and kept me in range (or non-roaming) in the 808 area code, my phone still had the 360 area code.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
      Anyone has Cingular? How is the reception and cost? I might switch subscribers.
      . . . . . . . . . . . .

i switched from t-mobile (which was pretty bad) to cingular, which is better but still not very impressive imho. i'd suggest you look around till you find something that's rock solid and impresses the subscriber you're talking to (cuz you'll probably be locked into a 2 -3 yr. agreement).

also, be sure to check their websites; they'll show you a map of areas in hawaii that has good coverage.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

It should be noted that AT&T and Cingular are the same, and while Cingular is the "official" name right now, apparetnly there are plans to switch the name back to AT&T from what I've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
          Anyone has Cingular? How is the reception and cost? I might switch subscribers.
          I do. I live in Wai'anae, and the reception is decent. (My dad, on the other hand, has Verizon through his employer, and he hates how there is virtually no reception where we live.) The cheapest plan you can sign up for is the $39.99 one, I believe. That's the one I have. My mom also has Cingular, but she has a prepaid account. She uses my old Nokia, and had it converted to a prepaid from the standard monthly billing. I actually wished I got a prepaid account. I've learned that I'm not much of a yakker on the phone, and I could have saved a lot of money. But I'm on a two-year plan - the minimum for Cingular, I believe - so I have to wait another year for it to end.

Comment

There have been two or three times that my phone says "Roaming" even when I am on Oahu, but it is temporary thing.

At this point in time I spent $90 for my TracFone service which breaks down as follows
            • $20 for the phone
            • $20 for a 60 unit card (the same time I brought the phone)
            • $20 for a 60 unit card (picked up a week later)
            • $30 for a 120 unit card (picked up a week after the 2nd 60 unit card)

So far I got 120 units left on my phone between now and the end of July.

I really don't know what TracFone service was like 4 to 5 months ago. The only weird thing for me is that my phone is in the 360 area code but I get the impression that Miulang's TracFone service is in the 808 area code?
            Any recommended phone shops to pick one up in?

Comment

I got my TracFone from Wal-Mart. They sell both the phone and the cards.

Comment

I got my TracFone from Wal-Mart. They sell both the phone and the cards.
                Thank you.

That plan looks great - I prefer the month-to-month and/or prepaid.

Just curious.. how much is a 'unit' of time?

Also, if someone calls you.. does that also eat up the time allotted to you? Or is that free?

Comment

You can either click here or go to response #15 of this thread that has the rates. If you want more information about TracFone itself the website is at:

http://www.tracfone.com

As an update to my experiences with the service. When you first sign up your service last 60 days, if you add a card that has the 60, 120, 250 or 400 units you get an additional 60 days. The catch is the most you can extend is 120 days but you can add as many units as you want.

They also offer 1 year plans which I haven't tried yet.

When using TracFone your cell phone will display the number of units you have left and when it will expire. If you past the expiration date, I think you lose the units you have left and also the phone number you have been assigned when you first sign up for it. At this point if you reactivate your phone service a new phone number will be assigned.

On the other hand if your units go down to zero and the expiration date isn't reached yet your service with them is sort of active. Your phone will ring but you can't pick up calls until you add units to the service.

I picked another phone last week, I went with the Motorola V170 which is more expensive (around $50) but since the phone folds in itself, it can't accidentally make calls if it's jingling in one's pocket like the Nokia 1100 (which happen to me twice already).

As far as the price per unit, from the web site. A 60 unit card is $19.99, a 120 unit card is $29.99, 250 unit card is $49.99 and a 400 unit card is $79.99. While they don't say it on the web site Wal-Mart been selling 90 unit cards for about $23-26.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
                    Any recommended phone shops to pick one up in?
                    Safeway Waimalu just started stocking a Nokia for Tracfone (can't remember the model number, sorry) for $19.95. I'm sorely tempted.

Hmm. If making calls on its own is a problem, maybe that flip phone that Helen mentions above is a better idea.
                    Last edited by Linkmeister; May 28, 2006, 12:47 PM. Reason: Flip phone
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

That would be the Nokia 1100. Not a bad phone if you can find a belt clip for it.

Comment

That would be the Nokia 1100. Not a bad phone if you can find a belt clip for it.
                        Are you saying it's hard to find one? I wonder if Nokia sells clips from its website.

It's reassuring to know that it's a good phone, though.

Comment

Huh. The case/clip is available through Nokia's website , but it costs as much as the phone does.

Comment

The hints for the Nokia 1100 would be:

1) Make sure that it's the only thing in your pocket.
                            2) If you are sitting in a chair with armrest take the phone out of the pocket.
                            3) You may want to hold it in your hand if it is free.
                            4) If you are not expecting calls turn it off (TracFone has a Voice Mail system with the service).

Comment

Speaking of cell phones, I recently started snooping around some phone hacking sites and quickly got very confused. What's this business about locked and unlocked phones, anyway? How do you tell whether your phone is locked or not?

Comment

That refers to the SIM card... which is in CDMA (I think) phones, like T-Mobile and Cingular.

Verizon, Sprint and Mobi all use different kinds of phones, but the thing in common with them is they don't use SIM cards.

If a phone is "unlocked," you can buy one and simply place your SIM card (which stores your account info and contacts) inside and it'll work.

A "locked" phone has to be activated by the carrier, and usually involves signing a new contract and/or paying a connection fee.

I bought a couple of cheap phones off eBay when my old one died. Made it so I could wait until the end of my contract to upgrade without penalty.

Comment

Working...
                                X