Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State removes sewage warning signs

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...tml?from_rss=1

Two months after a river of raw sewage forced the closure of Waikiki beaches and fouled popular surf spots, the state on Friday removed warning signs from the area.

Re: State removes sewage warning signs

I was just about to post this in my warnings thread...

I noticed they took down the signs on the Mauka side of the Ala Wai this morning...

However, I still don't see fish in the Ala Wai!

If fish don't think it's safe... Why does the city/state think it is?

Comment

yea fish know bad water from good. swim at your own risk

Jewlipino

Comment

I saw fish and ducks swimming in the Ala Wai this week, though I would never consider touching that water myself, either before or after the sewage spill!

Comment

Even at it's best, the Ala Wai is 'iffy' health-wise. For the 28 years I've lived and worked here, when filming boat to boat in the canal, we always have a boatload of antibiotic cream handy. And, at least one person on every Ala Wai location I've been on has ended up with an infection.

Comment

So does this mean it's safe to swim in Waikiki area, or it just meats EPA guidelines and they think that they can't get sued? :P

Comment

Last week, I parked alongside Ala Wai Canal near Kanekapolei and saw uku billions of big and small tilapia near the edge of the walkway.

When I worked at a flower shop on Nahua back in the '70s, I remember the Ala Wai Canal as looking much, much worse than it looks now. We never read about bacteria counts back then, but that had to be worse, too.

So, bottom line on article - lemme see: "warning" signs coming down (no fish or swim) and "caution" signs going up (still no fish or swim). Huh? I miss sumpin?
              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

It's still the sand around the beaches that I'm scared of, moreso than the water.

Comment

Hawaii's Decadal Douching is just about due. Hurricane season is coming, and it's been a while since we had our beaches scoured by the greatest rejuvinator on the planet, Mother Nature and Her Wonderful Power Sprayer.

A good rinsing would really help the beach at Waikiki, among others.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                  X