Drunkest Cities Gets Ranked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunkest Cities Gets Ranked

Awrighty... Glad that Hawaii is not on the Top 10 but does rank on the list.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ston-is-last/1

Re: Drunkest Cities Gets Ranked

Hawaii's not a city. And according to the list, being the 88th drunkest city makes Honolulu the 12th least-drunk city.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Every city in the US will be the "drunkest" come tomorrow on Super Bowl Sunday.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Obviously the author of the list has never lived in San Francisco or it wouldn't be ranked as low as it is! There are sooooo many bars there!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Whea da beea?

Comment

I used to live near Fresno. "Used to" are the operative words.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              And according to the list, being the 88th drunkest city makes Honolulu the 12th least-drunk city.
              ...out of 100. But since there are some estimates of approximately 43,000 cites/towns in the U.S., it's certainly in the top percentile of the class.

Since they used "such data as death rates from alcoholic liver disease, booze-fueled car crashes, frequency of binge-drinking in the past month, number of DUI arrests, and severity of DUI penalties," maybe the online publishing of DUI photos was a push to improve Honolulu's ranking.

Comment

Mmmm. I hear what you're saying ("out of a hundred") but if you compare the list to the 43,000 cities, then being 88th drunkest isn't even in the top percentile. Is Boston the hundredth drunkest (and an A+) or the first least-drunk? It's a stupid article 'cause it doesn't say what's obvious to you and me: only a hundred cities' data were examined. Hardly a fair sample size for a nation this big.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  Mmmm. I hear what you're saying ("out of a hundred") but if you compare the list to the 43,000 cities, then being 88th drunkest isn't even in the top percentile. Is Boston the hundredth drunkest (and an A+) or the first least-drunk? It's a stupid article 'cause it doesn't say what's obvious to you and me: only a hundred cities' data were examined. Hardly a fair sample size for a nation this big.
                  "First least-drunk" - I like the twisted sound of that. Although maybe the "first" least-drunk should be whatever city would have ranked 101st?

I don't know that only 100 cities' data was examined, though; I suspect the sample would have been larger, and anything that ranked below Boston wasn't bothered with, in the final release.

Or maybe they did just pick 100 major cities, and compared their data.

Comment

The most important part of this....look at the theme - car-oriented semi-cities.

The kinds where you are nearly REQUIRED to drive to the bar...with few if any transportation options to get back from the bar.

So, the chances of dying or getting pulled over for alchohol-related reasons increases immensily.

No doubt a city like Boston or New York would drink a lot more, but when you can easily get home without getting behind the wheel, it makes a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X