Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend a Hawaiian name for a boy

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    It's more and more common for non-Hawaiian children to have Hawaiian middle names - kind of out of respect for the culture and land they were born into.

This is somewhat similar to Europeans, Africans and Asians taking Western names when moving to America.
    Is there any notable reaction from Hawaiians regarding this practice?
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

All of my kids have Hawaiian middle names because they are part Hawaiian and all were given their names by family or close friends.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
        Sometimes yes, from both Hawaiian and non-Hawaiians, but this is a topic filled with landmines and hard to discuss while maintaining "being P.C.".
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

From what I've picked up, Hawaiian naming is similar to Native American namings. It's given out by family to family and there's a meaning or wish to go with the name chosen and often there's a subtext meaning....unless it's something like Kimo where it's an adaptation of an English name to the Hawaiian language.

Keeping in mind the translations and sub-textual meanings and outright "yank your chain 'cause you dunno no different" names ala Mike's suggestion, you may want to do some deeper research...you don't want to inadvertently name the kid 'coughing trousers' or some such.

Comment

I have to laugh when I think back to some of the names Tongans gave to their sons...to make them "unique." Names like the Tongan word for Cigarette, Bad Trip, Dog, or Fight with Waves. Sometimes I thought names like George (Siousi), Charlotte (Salote), or Judy (Siotiti) worked better. Uaifi was honored to name a first born Tongan girl (that she delivered!). She chose Viki. The family loved it!

A good traditional Tongan male name beginning with K is Kavenga.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
              Mostly I have noticed a positive reaction. This may be because it is viewed as 'attaching the child to... (the mana of the a`ina)-(the culture) -(etc.) rather than yet another usurpation of things Hawaiian.

If you get a Hawaiian name, it brands you with a part Hawaiian identity, to the degree that you use it, and it is an honor if conferred by a qualified Hawaiian - it's a kind of acceptance.

When I introduce myself as "Dr. L_____," the anthropologist, it elicits no smiles, but when I add, "Please call me Ka`onohi..." the mood changes.

It is a voluntary affirmation of identity.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

"Koa" is my favorite Hawaiian name for a boy.

I have a son now, and next one I have, I want to name him 'Koa'

Comment

Working...
                X