Top HAWAII news stories in 2009?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top HAWAII news stories in 2009?

What do you think are the top HAWAII news stories in 2009? Please give your suggestions, but be sure to limit the story to HAWAII BASED. (Meaning, not national news - someone can start another thread on national or world news if they want.) HAWAII news would include local political news, crime, "feel good" stories, business, etc, just as long as the news is about this state.

To start, I will say that the school furlough is definitely a top news item. Pulling 10% off of the school days calendar is an irresponsible way for the state to handle its budget woes. Pathetic. This illustrates just how much the state really cares for its keiki.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Top HAWAII news stories in 2009?

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    What do you think are the top HAWAII news stories in 2009? Please give your suggestions, but be sure to limit the story to HAWAII BASED. (Meaning, not national news - someone can start another thread on national or world news if they want.) HAWAII news would include local political news, crime, "feel good" stories, business, etc, just as long as the news is about this state.

To start, I will say that the school furlough is definitely a top news item. Pulling 10% off of the school days calendar is an irresponsible way for the state to handle its budget woes. Pathetic. This illustrates just how much the state really cares for its keiki.
    Remember though it's the unions that fought using non-instructional days for furloughs so blame them. The DOE wanted to use non-instructional days but the unions fought against it leaving Lingle with little choice but to use instructional days. In the end the unions prevailed and the keiki lost.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Regardless of who's to blame, I agree with Amati that the school furlough situation is one of the top Hawaii news stories during 2009.

As is the final loss of the superferry.

Comment

Linda Lingle.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Superferry, definately.
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Deleted due to wrong year. Sorry.
            Last edited by Amati; December 24, 2009, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Cyrus Belt died in January 2008. Though I can see how the story still seems like a fresh wound.

I guess the inauguration of Pres. Barack Obama is a pretty big story from 2009. Tangentially a Hawaii story!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Cyrus Belt died in January 2008. Though I can see how the story still seems like a fresh wound.
                2 years ago already? Sorry, "my bad" on adding it to this year. I'll see if I can edit it out.

Comment

On our local "Hawai`i Radio Connection" show, Producer Braddah Gomes selected these as the top stories:

50 years of statehood
                  Maui Land & Pineapple shuts pineapple production
                  Superferry collapse
                  Saint Damien
                  Kaloko Dam out-of-court settlement
                  Economy affecting tourism
                  School furloughs

Comment

How about Benjamin Davis- the guy who stabbed the two hikers for no apparent reason at Koko Crater Feb. 3? That was scary- and freaky, since I drove by there and almost went hiking that same day and decided against it only because I didn't like the shoes I was wearing. Thank God both of them survived and are okay now.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...dominated+year

The Advertiser ran an article today on top stories. As many know first hand, unemployment is high:
                      The unemployment rate stood at 4.9 percent in November 2008 but by May had climbed to a 31-year high of 7.4 percent. Neighbor Islands were hit the hardest. Last month, Hawai'i County recorded 10 percent unemployment, with Maui County (9.3 percent) and Kaua'i County (9.2 percent) close behind. The statewide unemployment rate leveled off somewhat late in the year, but still lingers around 7 percent.
                      Unemployment statistics are generated by data about those who are currently collecting unemployment insurance benefits. Those who are self employed but out of work, and independent contractors, cannot collect unemployment insurance and thus are not reflected the statistics. Also, those who have exhausted unemployment benefits are no longer reflected in the stats. If the stats say 7%, it is actually even higher than that due to those who are unemployed but not on unemployment insurance.

Comment

Breaking news from the Hono Advertiser:
                        Hawaii schools superintendent Hamamoto resigns effective today.

Uh-huh-yahoo-let's party, let's party! This is indeed wonderful news and hopefully we will get a leader in place who will put the CHILDREN FIRST!

Comment

Working...
                        X