X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Longs to become CVS?

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    I'm somewhat mystified by this, too. Especially since the Moiliili Star is always pretty busy. That location has to be one of Star's best performers, if not the best. Maybe they're going to keep it primarily as a grocery store? I have no idea.
    Every time I've been in that nursery it's busy. Maybe Long's/CVS will diversify?!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Every time I've been in that nursery it's busy. Maybe Long's/CVS will diversify?!
      Always a possibility. Starbucks is trying a one off shop with a different name that serves alcohol along side coffee and tea.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        Always a possibility. Starbucks is trying a one off shop with a different name that serves alcohol along side coffee and tea.
        The two of you may not be far off the mark. A CVS in Florida may be the first to market a “new stimulant” to those seeking to satisfy their sugar rush.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Maybe they plan to make another large store, kind of like Pali or Kahala Longs? and it's a pretty prime location, with lots of parking space. But it would be sad to see Star Market (now Times) leave there as they are convenient for the University neighborhood.

This is another example of what happens to our local businesses when "foreign" companies open up here. Of course, Times is not helping by saying they're going to close a very high performing store.

I agree - it is puzzling.
          Last edited by anapuni808; July 27, 2009, 10:54 PM.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Don't forget, if Star Moiliili becomes a Longs, there's another Longs just a few blocks away, a very busy Longs. My guess is they would close the Longs near Stadium Park and just migrate to the newer, larger location.

Comment

Don't forget, if Star Moiliili becomes a Longs, there's another Longs just a few blocks away, a very busy Longs. My guess is they would close the Longs near Stadium Park and just migrate to the newer, larger location.
              Pay n Save was there before Longs at that location. What was there before Pay n Save?

Comment

back in 1966, when I got married - that was an appliance & furniture store. We bought a living room set and a TV there. don't remember the name but the furniture & tv lasted longer than the marriage
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  Pay n Save was there before Longs at that location. What was there before Pay n Save?
                  At one point, it was a Wigwam, and then a PayLess (or Pay & Save.)

Garry

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned here previously . . . when i dropped in for a quick purchase @ Longs Ala Moana yesterday, the bag I got for my stuff was a CVS bag, not the familiar green-logo Longs . . . and the receipts from the new computer system check outs say "thanks for shopping at CVS.." at the bottom. nevertheless, CVS maintains they will keep the Longs store name.

Again, may have been covered here previously, but has anyone done a Walgreens/Longs comparison shop. From the Walgreens ads in the Sunday paper, looks like same-old.

I have noticed one change in Longs operations - at least at the Kailua Longs:

Used to be all/most of the Sunday ad sale stuff was set aside in a single aisle toward the middle of the store - and ONLY sale stuff was in that aisle - so it was easy just to cruise down that row with the shopping list. Now, however, there is a mix of sale and non-sale items - and I suspect it may be deliberate. I.e., in the "old days," all the stuff there was on sale, so customers may assume anything they grab there is a sale item - until they get to the register. Subtle . . .

Also, there is a new aisle designation for "promotions..." but it's hard to tell whether the marked prices are really sale prices, and the items in that aisle are also available on their "regular" shelves elsewhere in the store.

Gotta pay attention too much . . .

Do I have too much time on my hands? Over-analyzing?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                      Not sure if it's been mentioned here previously . . . when i dropped in for a quick purchase @ Longs Ala Moana yesterday, the bag I got for my stuff was a CVS bag, not the familiar green-logo Longs . . . and the receipts from the new computer system check outs say "thanks for shopping at CVS.." at the bottom. nevertheless, CVS maintains they will keep the Longs store name.

Again, may have been covered here previously, but has anyone done a Walgreens/Longs comparison shop. From the Walgreens ads in the Sunday paper, looks like same-old.

I have noticed one change in Longs operations - at least at the Kailua Longs:

Used to be all/most of the Sunday ad sale stuff was set aside in a single aisle toward the middle of the store - and ONLY sale stuff was in that aisle - so it was easy just to cruise down that row with the shopping list. Now, however, there is a mix of sale and non-sale items - and I suspect it may be deliberate. I.e., in the "old days," all the stuff there was on sale, so customers may assume anything they grab there is a sale item - until they get to the register. Subtle . . .

Also, there is a new aisle designation for "promotions..." but it's hard to tell whether the marked prices are really sale prices, and the items in that aisle are also available on their "regular" shelves elsewhere in the store.

Gotta pay attention too much . . .

Do I have too much time on my hands? Over-analyzing?
                      No over-analyzing on your behalf, these are tried and true marketing techniques. Often, sale items are loss leaders to draw people into the store and hopefully, they will pick up other items along the way. Mixing sale and non-sale items will definitely increase the chance a shopper will pick up other items.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        [...]Mixing sale and non-sale items will definitely increase the chance a shopper will pick up other items.
                        Exactly. A retail business such as Longs/CVS wants the customer to walk the entire store in the hopes of impulse purchases. I don't think I've ever noticed the Longs' that I frequent have all the advertised sale items in one aisle. Sure would be nice, tho'!

Comment

The cash registers at Longs now have the items purchaed displayed in small print and hard to see. I guess they want you to buy reading glasses.

Comment

In terms of square footage, the “new” location would not be larger unless CVS decides to convert most of Star’s parking lot to retail floor space. As I said before, the current Mō‘ili‘ili Longs has one of the largest parking lots of any store in the area, because they have three levels (ground, second level, and rooftop).

My best guess at this point, is the Star location has better visibility, thus making it a more attractive stopover for consumers. CVS could build their flagship store without closing the old Stadium Park location, and sell that site when the economy turns around. I would imagine they would refuse to entertain an offer by Walgreen’s. But I must say, that this seems unlikely. It would involve a capital investment in the million$, and would the return really be worth it?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

hi my truest apologie's for posting this here,only i couldnt find where to post this on long's.

i wish to share that if you would need to take your watch into kam long's to their watchmaker,if they need to look at it and put in a new battery,they'd charge $8 and then you'd be able to pick it up the next day and if this may not help,then you'd be able to visit sear's watchmaker and he'd look at it for no charge and since my deceased father's once casio watch wasnt working,i took my watch to another long's to have the watchmaker look at it and he may put in a new battery and charge me about $6 or maybe $7 since it add's tax.

well thank's for your time

Comment

hi i wish to share since kam and pali long's that if someone open's the back of their watch,the watchmaker at both store's wont touch it is he's been liable when the watchmaker for both store's was liable when something wasnt right so i took my watch to sear's and they fixed it for $15 and the battery i purchased it at kam long's that i didnt know wasnt working and so the watchmaker at sear's put a new battery in and it's now working so i thought to share if anyone may need their battery put in or watch fixed,i'd take it to sear's watchmaker is they charge to fix at the inexpensive price.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Working...
                                X