R.I.P. Pekelo Cosma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Pekelo Cosma

I've not yet found additional confirmation or other details yet, but a source on TaroPatch.net is reporting that Hawaiian musician Pekelo Cosma has died.

Re: R.I.P. Pekelo Cosma

Yes, he died of heart failure this morning at his home on Maui. Way too young.
    I had the extremely good fortune to have played with him at a few shows and slack key festivals. It was fascinating how very much his voice sounded exactly like Gabby Pahinui. Get Pekelo to play "Hi`ilawe" and close your eyes, and BOOM it was Gabby.
    Those of you not familiar with him, check out his stuff on YouTube.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Today's Maui News had this blurb -

Pekelo Cosma, a master of slack-key guitar and a Hawaiian music composer, has died.

Family members confirmed Cosma, 51, died of heart failure at around 6 a.m. Wednesday at his home in Makawao.

Cosma, a past Na Hoku Hanohano award winner, had received a Ki Ho'alu Foundation Legacy Award in May. He was born in Hana, and known as a strong supporter of the Hana community.

I was honored to have worked with him on this CD from the 1993 Northwest Folklife Festival; I produced the radio broadcasts from which the album was made.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        I had the extremely good fortune to have played with him at a few shows and slack key festivals. It was fascinating how very much his voice sounded exactly like Gabby Pahinui. Get Pekelo to play "Hi`ilawe" and close your eyes, and BOOM it was Gabby.
        Those of you not familiar with him, check out his stuff on YouTube.
        Okay, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6ZJQPYUeVM . He's playing in his hometown of Hana with the Brown family, doing "Hi`ilawe". Every now and then the person taking the video sings along; sorry about that. But for the most part, it's Pekelo being Gabby-ish.

Comment

And just like Pops, he's gone too soon.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Oh, this is too sad. So young. So talented. Aloha, Mahalo for your gift and RIP.

Comment

Almost two and a half days after he passed, the Star-Advertiser finally posted this "Breaking News" a little after 3pm today.

Two and a half days?!? And they call it "Breaking News"?!?
              Last edited by LikaNui; August 26, 2011, 06:21 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.

Comment

Working...
              X