Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Chicago to Maui

Aloha!

I have been lurking here for a while and am now ready to ask my question. I am a Black, 29 year old female, born and raised in Chicago. I recently acquired a teaching position (I teach deaf/hard of hearing students) in Wailuku, and am wondering about where the best place to live would be. I have no kids or pets, enjoy the rain and the sun, and am not particularly athletic. I am counting on finding an evening/weekend job somewhere as well to supplement my income. I have read many previous threads and appreciate more specific info regarding places I can live (upcountry vs. west vs. central vs. east) and so forth.

Mahalo!

Re: From Chicago to Maui

Originally posted by phealphrea
    Aloha!

I have been lurking here for a while and am now ready to ask my question. I am a Black, 29 year old female, born and raised in Chicago. I recently acquired a teaching position (I teach deaf/hard of hearing students) in Wailuku, and am wondering about where the best place to live would be. I have no kids or pets, enjoy the rain and the sun, and am not particularly athletic. I am counting on finding an evening/weekend job somewhere as well to supplement my income. I have read many previous threads and appreciate more specific info regarding places I can live (upcountry vs. west vs. central vs. east) and so forth.

Mahalo!
    Hi. I can't help you with your Maui question (I live on Oahu) but I thank you for bringing your teaching skills to Hawaii.

Good luck with your move.

Comment

Originally posted by phealphrea
      Aloha!

Mahalo!
      Are you teaching at Wailuku Elementary or Iao School? Part time jobs are hard to come by in Wailuku per se; most of the jobs are in the Kahului area. Will you have access to a car? Public transportation on Maui is a little problemmatical. Since the beach is not one of your main requirements, finding a place in Wailuku or Kahului would probably be best. The commutes from South Maui (Kihei) or West Maui (Lahaina) or Upcountry (if you lived in Makawao or Kula, count on a commute of at least 45 minutes by car) can be a bear. The commute from Lahaina is totally ridiculous, particularly if an accident or range fire closes down Honoapiilani Hwy---the only highway between West Maui and Central Maui. East Maui (Paia and Kuau) isn't too bad a commute except at the traffic light that is at the intersection of Hana Hwy and Baldwin Ave right in the middle of town. Major congestion point there. Check for housing in the Maui News. The Maui News wouldn't be too helpful in finding a part time job, but there are lots of opportunities on Maui. When you get there, just check around (like at WalMart, KMart, Home Depot) and I'm sure you can land a part time job in no time flat. Also, just driving around the other week, I saw lots of "Help Wanted" signs in store windows. You just have to decide what you want to do.

Good luck!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang

I will be half time at both Wailuku and Iao serving some underserviced students. I doubt that my car is worth the $1k it would cost to ship it, so I will be immediately looking for a car once I arrive on Maui. Your advice is very helpful and thanks for helping me out with the various cities. I am anticipating this new chapter of my life beginning.

Mahalo to you too WindwardOahuRN!

Comment

Wailuku Elementary and Iao School are only about 1/2 mile apart (I attended both). The closest supermarket in Wailuku is Sack 'n Save in Wailuku Millyard (where the Wailuku Post Office is). All the other supermarkets are in Kahului. Most single teachers end up renting places with other single teachers because housing is pretty pricey on Maui. There are a couple of furnished studios in today's Maui News rental section for less than $800/mo (Central Maui---stay away from Harbor Lights...that used to be a drug den).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Aloha and Welcome to HT phealphrea!

Good luck with your move to Maui.

Great to see another single black sister making the move.... I am moving to Oahu....

Don't be a stranger... stay well.
            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
            Mark Twain

Comment

I just wanted to add a little more to Miulang's description of the areas, mostly for climate/weather differences. Coming from Chicago, you're used to extreme differences, but it's still good to know... When I first moved to Maui, I lived in the Kahului/Wailuku area (then Makawao, and eventually North and South Kihei). Kahului and Wailuku are very central, and there's almost always a windward breeze. Upcountry is cooler and a bit wetter during the rainy season; I always thought of it to be comparable to the Northwest in climate. Then there's the south (Kihei)...drier and warmer, but not as warm as Lahaina. The commutes, as Miulang mentioned, can be a bear, but it also depends on the time of day, and what time of year it is (spring and summer bring more people, especially to the south and west sides).
              When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become.
              ~ Louis Pasteur

Comment

Working...
              X