Tornado warning for Maui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornado warning for Maui

Just saw a weather alert crawl across the tv screen on KITV. Don't think I've seen a tornado warning here before. Batten down the hatches, Maui folks!

Re: Tornado warning for Maui

From NOAA Website :

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
    942 PM HST THU MAR 23 2006

HIC009-240800-
    /O.CON.PHFO.TO.W.0001.000000T0000Z-060324T0800Z/
    LANAI IN MAUI-
    942 PM HST THU MAR 23 2006

...A TORNADO WARNING CONTINUES UNTIL 1000 PM HST FOR THE ISLAND OF
    LANAI IN MAUI COUNTY...

AT 942 PM HST...RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM
    CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 3 MILES NORTHWEST OF THE LANAI CITY
    AIRPORT...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
    LANAI CITY AROUND 955 PM HST
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Batten down the hatches, Lanai folks!

Comment

Yup. No warnings, but this isn't the first time we've been hit by tornados. Years ago, Whitmore Village north of Wahiawa, was hit by a couple of small ones. Damaged dozens of homes by lifting roofs. More recently, one touched down near Mililani. Luckily it came down in a fallow pineapple field.

Comment

Re: Tornado hits Lanai trailer

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4321

None hurt as tornado hits trailer on Lanai
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Yipe. Glad no one was hurt.

You gotta wonder, though... considering the impression some folks have that trailer homes somehow attract tornadoes.

Way out here in Hawaii, not only do we not get many tornadoes, we don't have many trailers. How is it these two elements still found each other?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              [...]Way out here in Hawaii, not only do we not get many tornadoes, we don't have many trailers. How is it these two elements still found each other?
              Good question! Pretty amazing, huh? What are the (Las Vegas?!) odds of that happening.

I just heard on the news that the tornado hit Lanai at 9:35 last night. That has to be pretty close to the time I saw the weather alert crawl on the TV because it took me a few minutes to make the original post to this thread...at 9:40p.

Comment

I was driving home last night around 9:40pm when I heard the bulletin on the radio. I got home just in time to watch the KHON-2 News with Hawaii's #1 News anchor Joe Moore, and nothing, not even a blurb about a tornado warning. Makes me wonder if that newscast was live at all.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  I was driving home last night around 9:40pm when I heard the bulletin on the radio. I got home just in time to watch the KHON-2 News with Hawaii's #1 News anchor Joe Moore, and nothing, not even a blurb about a tornado warning. Makes me wonder if that newscast was live at all.
                  Or maybe anything that happens on Lana'i isn't considered "newsworthy" enough for Joe Moore?
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm pretty sure if the tornado hit Thursday night, it'd be way too late to make the last newscast. After all, while the whole state knew about the tornado warning (via the CD system), I suspect news of an actual property strike would've taken a while to propogate... especially out of Lanai.

Both KITV and KHON had the tornado hit (and the Big Island hail) early on in their newscasts the following day, some with video from the aftermath and others with photos submitted by viewers.

Comment

Working...
                    X