Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 17th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

I still swear by W&M......good if you can find parking!
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Ali`i

I'd seen Carl's Jr. all over Southern California when I worked in LA, but never went to one. Finally got to the one at the Pearlridge Uptown Food Court a month or so ago, and it's pretty good. The best offering it has might be the deep fried zucchini slices, though; I've never seen a fast food franchise offer those.
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp
Okay, I'm digging up this old thread looking for fresh input. The usual suspects of Kua Aina and Teddy's have been named but what are other places (no national chains please since that thread is already going) that serve excellent, inexpensive ($6 or less) burgers? Maybe it's not their speciality but they do a good job. My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.
Took a overnight trip to Kauai recently and had lunch at Bubba's in Hanalei. Long lines and slow service, but a really good burger.
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Ali`i

First of all, I must say thanks for everyone for their posts. Even though I didn't start the thread, it has been very helpful with a project we worked on throughout the summer. The results of our search are in and here is a link for anyone who is interested. Burger Wars Summer 2005
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Kia`aina

I like the Koko Burger at Koko cafe in the Hale Koa. Delicious! Especially delivered by room service after a long, wonderful day in Paradise.
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Ali`i

Here's my picks...
Pepperjack Cheese Burger - Matters of Taste, Gentry Center on Nimitz
(Fantastic hand-made char-grilled delight, served with a pickle and carrot stick)
Beachside Burger with Pepperjack Cheese - Duke's Barefoot Bar, Waikiki
(Another char-grilled delight. Tasty onion roll bun. And their Beachside waffle-cut fries are da' best... Plus a beachfront view to boot!)
Swiss N' Shroom Burger - Shack Hawaii Kai (I don't consider them a "national chain)
(Excellent char-grilled flavor, and sitting on the marina with this and a side of their curly fries is next to heaven on earth)
Magic Mushroom Burger - Big City Diner
(Can you tell I like mushroom burgers? Nice ambiance, and skin-on fries are ono!)
Char-Grill Burger - Jameson's Haleiwa
(Hand-pattied delight, nicely char-grilled with an onion bun, and excellent waffle cut fries)

Most of these picks are in the $6-9 range including the fries. Sorry, pretty tough finding a local spot in a prime location under that price.

Does anyone remember BURGERLAND on Monsarrat? It's now Diamond Head Grill and Market. They had the best tasting local style burgers!

Last edited by Pomai; October 4th, 2005 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Removed national chains out of my list
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp
The results of our search are in and here is a link for anyone who is interested. Burger Wars Summer 2005
Very cool. Who would've thought eating hamburgers would be so much work? Some unexpected findings, too.

I have to admit, I was someone who propagated the mythology of the Kua 'Aina burger, and I probably still like 'em better than I should. But I totally agree on the Kulia Grill award. Even pre-prepared, wrapped and waiting, they're absolutely delicious - great from the bread to the moistness of the meat to the complimentary choice in cheese (I always get the cheeseburger). And those "experimental" chips blow Kua `Aina's soggy nest of potato strings away.

I've been hearing a lot about Nico's lately. Guess that means I'll have to make a special effort to check 'em out, for both the seafood and the burger!
Old October 5th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

Kulia Grill.. hmmm, what a find!

Can't beat the price, location and quality of ingredients, according to the HawaiiDiner.com write-up.

I'm determined to have lunch there some time this week! Will post about it after.

How ironic also, as I just started a thread about the new JABSOM center.

More and more I'll have to "eat" my words.

Last edited by Pomai; October 5th, 2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Ali`i

i'm not a big cheeseburger fan but i can vouch for the chips: excellent!

thanks for the link to the story; talked to carol (the manager) today and she hasn't seen the story yet. she's one super nice lady: she works really long hours, always has a smile on her face, and goes out of her way to be helpful.
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaveice
thanks for the link to the story; talked to carol (the manager) today and she hasn't seen the story yet. she's one super nice lady: she works really long hours, always has a smile on her face, and goes out of her way to be helpful.
The news of Hawaii's best burger is getting around! On the KHON morning news today, Manolo Morales chose Kulia Grill as his spot for his food segment, and he specifically highlighted its winning of HawaiiDiner.com's "Burger Wars" project. He even ordered the chips because glossyp specifically recommended it.

Congrats on the TV mention, and definitely kudos to the Kulia Grill folks. The praise is well-deserved for such great, thoughtfully prepared food.
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Ali`i

this morning when i dropped by k.g. i felt like slapping my forehead cuz carol mentioned that morales would be there doing the show. sorry; forgot to post that info last night
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Haumana

I have to vote for Cheeseburger in Paradise on Maui
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_jay
I have to vote for Cheeseburger in Paradise on Maui
DIG DEEP in your wallet if you plan on visiting Cheeseburger in Paradise Waikiki (the one across the beach, near Pacific Beach Hotel).

Everything is served ALA CARTE: Hamburgers start about $9.00 (each). Add fries - $3.50, plus Drink - $2.50.

You're talkin' avg. $15.00 (plus tip) per person for BURGERS & FRIES.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
Ali`i

I finally made it over to Kulia Grill at JABSOM the other day, and it was worth the trip. The cheeseburger was tender and juicy and really great. And the chips. I wish they'd make up extra bags of those chips for takeout orders. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:49 PM
Ali`i

glenn, i totally agree with you about the chips being very good but i don't understand the thing about taking it out cuz you can buy as many as you want and take it home with you. i often do that cuz my wife loves it, too. maybe you mean they run out of 'em too quickly?
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Ali`i

Well, it's kinda nitpicky but the chips are served in those little trays, which aren't great for transporting. If they also had 'em for sale in paper bags, maybe, that would be good. Or maybe I should just bring my own bags and dump 'em in.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:26 AM
Ali`i

oh, i see what you mean. it's not quite the same (or as good) as a paper bag but they'll give you a plastic bag if you ask for em. carol, the manager, told me to leave the plastic bag open so that the chips won't get soggy.

btw, their menu has expanded within the past two weeks or so. they're serving some good stuff in addition to their burgers ;-P
Old November 5th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Ali`i

My wife and I had lunch at Kulia Grill yesterday to try the cheeseburgers. Teddy's is good but Kulia's tops it in our opinion. Now if there was a good combo it would be Kulia's burger and Teddy's fries or onion rings.

OT: re the taro lo'i sculpture outside. My wife thinks its unfinished (still gotta put the leafs(leaves?) on top of the stems), I think its finished (that the stems represent new plantings)... what yall think? Maybe the state couldn't afford to put leaves?
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Ali`i

Default Special Sauce.. Local Style

In the D section of today's Star Bulletin, there's an article about the late Andy's Drive-Inn in Kailua. Primarily how they were famous for their RED and YELLOW SAUCES found today at the current Byron's Drive-Inn

It's pretty easy to figure out the basic recipe is Mayo and Mustard for the yellow sauce.

For the red sauce, they suggest using Ketchup and Relish. But we beg to differ. We've found a tastier option to Ketchup is TOMATO PASTE and relish. Try it and you'll agree!

We think Zippy's uses off-the-shelf Thousand Islands Dressing on their burgers.

I remember the late Kenny's Burgerhouse used a similar sauce to Andy's.

This past weekend I tried a Teddy's Burger with Sauteed Mushrooms on it (a first for me.. adding mushrooms that is). Gotta say, it was an exceptional Mushroom Burger, except next time I would have them omit their sauce. It really took away from the otherwise fantastic and plentiful Mushroom toppings. Next time I would request plain Mayo' instead. Teddy's sauce taste like a combination of mayo', mustard and ketchup mixed together. Good on their plain burgers, but not with the mushrooms.

Last edited by Pomai; November 9th, 2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Kia`aina

Hamburger Deluxe at Forty Niners in Aiea is great. These are homemade and not 100% hamburger (bread and other ingredients mixed in). It gives it character. It won't bust your budget. I eat the Hamburger Deluxe and Saimin (which is great there too) and the cost is under $7. Not a large place and they're only open for breakfast and lunch.

Last edited by Moto; November 9th, 2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old November 17th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Kia`aina

Tonight KITV did a very entertaining piece on Jorge Garcia from "Lost" at HIS favorite burger place....W&M. Apparently Hurley also enjoys Fried Poke and is trying to make sure he finds the right place to Sample a Loco Moco.
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto
Hamburger Deluxe at Forty Niners in Aiea is great. These are homemade and not 100% hamburger (bread and other ingredients mixed in). It gives it character. It won't bust your budget. I eat the Hamburger Deluxe and Saimin (which is great there too) and the cost is under $7. Not a large place and they're only open for breakfast and lunch.
And closed Tuesdays. (That's the road I use to get to H-1, rather than Kamehameha Highway.)
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Ali`i

Where are you supposed to park at Forty Niners, anyway? I have passed by there many times but have never stopped in.
Old November 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
Where are you supposed to park at Forty Niners, anyway? I have passed by there many times but have never stopped in.
Gee, Glen, it's got easily five parking spaces!

I dunno. I expect you could park on the street or maybe across the way (as long as there's no sticker price on your car, or the tenant might try to sell it.)
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Keiki

Thumbs up Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

KUA AINA burgers in Haleiwa rocks!!!! This is definitely (IMHO) *THE* best burger on Oahu!! No ka oi! Best of da bestest! Must try the Mahi Mahi burger w/ ortega...broke da mout!