Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Air France 447

The lack of clothing on the recovered bodies had them surmising this was an in air breakup at least a week ago.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Ali`i

Fractured bones also occur when planes crash into the ocean intact. During my search-and-rescue days I was involved in multiple incidents of private planes crashing into the ocean. I was surprised at the incredible bone fracturing and an FAA investigator explained that just before the plane crashes the victims realize what's coming and subconciously put out their arms to brace against the impact, much like you would in an automobile. But at airplane speeds, when your arms are fully extended and elbows locked, the bones just fracture like an accordion.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
The lack of clothing on the recovered bodies had them surmising this was an in air breakup at least a week ago.
True, but now there is also forensic evidence to support that theory.
However, the reason for the in-air breakup remains to be determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
How disturbing. Passenger jets are supposed to be able to withstand even hurricane force winds (at least that's what the fear of flying website told me once ). That means that the AirBus composite materials may be insufficient compared to more traditionally built planes. I'll stick to flying on Boeing for now.
I had similar thoughts, especially after hearing about how the Pitot tubes (airspeed sensors) could have iced up and given false airspeed readings.
On the other hand, it seems that the investigators have not yet ruled out the possibility of an explosion. From the article:

"Lack of burn evidence would not necessarily rule out an explosion, said John Goglia, a former member of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board.

If something caused the lower fuselage to burn or explode, "passengers would not be exposed to any blast damage" and the plane would still disintegrate in flight," Goglia said. "These are scenarios that cannot be ruled out."

The cause of this tragedy remains a mystery.
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
I don't want to even think what the terrifying moments leading up to death must've been like.
Terrible to say at least according to this speculative narrative posted at another message board:

"A peak experience"

Quote:

Truly severe turbulence, enough to damage the aircraft, would be insane in the cabin.

Overhead bins would be opening, spilling stuff everywhere. Which would then be bouncing from floor to ceiling, over and over, along with anyone not belted in. There would be a lot of creaking and groaning noises as the cabin interior flexed along with the airframe. There are lots of joints in the interior to let it shift as the airframe flexes in normal flight, and they'd all be getting a max-case workout.
An entire message thread on what it may be like:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=520166

Read at your own risk.
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Ali`i

Matapule's two ta'ahines (daughters) were on a flight from Europe to California last year and somewhere over Greenland they hit severe turbulance. It was as you described. They thought they were going down at that moment. Fortunately, the flight eventually smoothed out and continued without incident. It did make on impression on them though.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Terrible to say at least according to this speculative narrative posted at another message board:

"A peak experience"

[...]
OMG...
Even with a healthy heart I think I'd be one of those who quickly dies of a heart attack. At least I hope I would.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

that did not leave much to the imagination! WOW!

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Ali`i

The search for the black box was called off a few day's ago.