Digital TV Over The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital TV Over The Air

I just got through watching the Digital TV Conversion special on KGMB tonight hosted by Linda Coble and featuring the FCC commissioner, Chris Leonard from HAB and a KITV 4 engineer.

It's a good basic informational special. The emphasis is placed on getting the coupon for the converter box now, getting ready for the changeover and what to expect.

They do acknowledge that there will be areas that may lose channels or not get anything at all. This is related to the move of the Haleakala transmitters from nearly 10,000 ft. high to Pukalani Ranch at 4,000 ft. So yes, I think signal loss will occur in some areas.

At the end of the program they did not know exactly what to expect for the islands of Molokai and Lanai.

And yes, Random, I would not be surprised the cable and satellite companies lobbied to get those transmitters moved to a less desirable location, though I would kind of doubt if that is the reality.

Still to lose that prime spot at the top of the mountain is probably tragic.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I've got one of those battery-powered weather channel televisions, and it occurred to me that it won't work for digital unless I can get a battery-powered converter box. After watching (and calling in) to the PBS Island Insights show a month ago I got pointed to the one (and only, so far) outfit that sells those and corresponded with them; I was able to send them a link to the kind of tv I own, and they looked at it and said there was no way to hook up the box, since it has no RCA plug (or equivalent) inputs. So I guess we're going to be stuck using it for AM/FM radio and weather radio only.

Meanwhile, I sent away for two converter box coupons. Since the other three televisions are all cabled, I have no need of them. If you know anyone scrambling to find them at this late date, tell them to post here.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I have a portable AM/FM/Weather Band/TV VHF-Low/TV VHF-Hi radio that will cease to broadcast the analog audio from the TV VHF on January 15. Will be interesting to see if any audio content will replace the vacant TV channels on VHF. I don't think that will happen soon and when it does, it will probably be allocated to broadband use for internet and mobile devices.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          I just got through watching the Digital TV Conversion special on KGMB tonight hosted by Linda Coble and featuring the FCC commissioner, Chris Leonard from HAB and a KITV 4 engineer.

It's a good basic informational special. The emphasis is placed on getting the coupon for the converter box now, getting ready for the changeover and what to expect.
          It was okay. Was kinda hoping for a format similar to PBS Hawaii's Island Insight where viewers can call or email their queries.

They do acknowledge that there will be areas that may lose channels or not get anything at all. This is related to the move of the Haleakala transmitters from nearly 10,000 ft. high to Pukalani Ranch at 4,000 ft. So yes, I think signal loss will occur in some areas.

At the end of the program they did not know exactly what to expect for the islands of Molokai and Lanai.
          Oh, gee. I wonder why. Could it be because they never like someone fo' test them out here?

And yes, Random, I would not be surprised the cable and satellite companies lobbied to get those transmitters moved to a less desirable location, though I would kind of doubt if that is the reality.
          Meh. So long they're not exposed to their Machiavellian conspiracy.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I watched the DTV special last night on KGMB, and thought the program was nearly worthless.

Linda Coble came across as a bit condesending her question were about as insightful as from a marshmellow.

The best quote of the night came from the KITV CE who said about Molokai and Lanai, if can't get TV OTA now, you won't on Jan. 15th...that pretty much applies to everywhere in Hawaii.

It would have been better to do a show that did the following:

Actually show a real life demo of hooking up a DTV converter box.
            You can do a fairly basic install demo in under 2 minutes as well as showing the "search" function and basic troubleshooting.

Actually show what they received and didn't.
            Do a couple, one in a apartment in town and one in a house a leeward area(Aiea-Ewa). If they had reception issues could they fix them.

Cover more that the antenna if also an important component in reception.
            IMO, This has been the missing piece to the switch. Because of the way DTV works as well as the move of many stations transmitters, that the $10 rabbitt ear antenna you bought at Wal-Mart may not be up to the job, and that the UHF Loop of the antenna is an important part of it.

What can people do when Jan. 15th comes and they do lose some or all of the stations.
            Telling people that come Jan. 15th, they may do everything right and still lose some if not all TV reception isn't the answer people want to here. How about telling people about low cost cable and satellite solutions out there.
            For instance, Oceanic offers a "Value Basic" service that offers locals channels, some govt madated channels and TBS for less than $15 a month. There is also a special with Road Runner; You get Road Runner 1.5mb service for $25 a month plus the "Value Basic" service for free for one year.
            Dish also offers a "Locals Only" package for $10 a month and "Welcome" pack that includes a dozen of so news, general interest channels for $15 a month.

Just my two cents, but too many people who are worrying about Jan. 15th need not be and remember...It's only television.

BTW, only missing point about Kauai. Eventually the repeaters on that island will convert to digital as well, but the "$40 coupon" expires on Feb. 17, 2009 and there are no guarantees that once the changeover happens that converter boxes will still be produced. So not only will the boxes be more expensive but may be hard to find anyway.
            Last edited by Ninja; December 12, 2008, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
              BTW, only missing point about Kauai. Eventually the repeaters on that island will convert to digital as well, but the "$40 coupon" expires on Feb. 17, 2009 and there are no guarantees that once the changeover happens that converter boxes will still be produced. So not only will the boxes be more expensive but may be hard to find anyway.
              I also predict that analog will disappear from cable within 5 years. No government mandate - just economics.

Comment

If we're supposedly 'ready' for switching to digital broadcast early, why do I lose some digital stations every time it rains (not just heavy rain as yesterday)? I lost KFVE, KGMB and KHET yesterday (KFVE & KHET are still blank today). At least with analog back-up, I was able to record my programs despite the digital broadcast 'blackout' (I rightly anticipated digital wouldn't be back on the air and recorded in analog). I enjoy the improved picture of digital broadcast, but it's still just too unreliable. Without reliable service, the 'public benefit' aspect of broadcast transmission is jeopardized (let stations PAY for their bandwidth, as other commercial enterprises do).

I have received no response from the FCC filed complaint mentioned earlier.
                Last edited by salmoned; December 12, 2008, 09:44 AM.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Salmoned,

You should get in touch with those stations, but I believe all have plans for more robust digital signals after January 15th. BTW,yesterday's rains were so strong that we were losing KU satellite feeds.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    why do I lose some digital stations every time it rains (not just heavy rain as yesterday)?
                    Good question. Are you right on the fringe and a normal change in propagation is enough to do you in? Maybe your antenna has a problem. Or are the stations themselves going off the air?

Comment

• Re: Digital TV Over The Air

Latest update on my DTV reception (Ewa Beach)- KFVE is now received as DT-KFVE 5.1 (not RF-23.1) and has the extended program guide information. KGMB was out for the weekend, now reception is poor, but 'there'. No reception of KHET, digital or analog throughout the weekend and continuing to today.

Comment

I am angry at the environmentalists and some of the scientists with observatories at the top of Haleakala for forcing the TV broadcasters off the mountain ... The thing is that the broadcasters were there FIRST! For more than 50 years nobody made a big stink about the birds. Sheesh... birds win out over the viewing public? Give me a break.

Of course the same kind of groups who oppose towers are the ones that oppose the Superferry and astronomy on the Big Island.
                        Macpro - I meant to email you the day of the n/c w/the LG, FCC but time got away from me.

Due to my delay, I wish to now thank you PUBLICLY for asking the question about some communities' loss of signal. Had you not asked, it would not have appeared (exclusively, I think) in the Star-Bulletin's coverage.

Thank you for bringing the issue to the fore!
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Latest update of DTV channels I receive (Ewa Beach):
                          2.1 KHON-HD
                          2.2 KHON-CW
                          4.1 KITV-HD
                          4.2 Weather
                          4.3 KITV-SD (No programming)
                          5.1 KFVE-DT
                          9.1 KGMB-DT (Poor reception, have to watch the analog signal to avoid the dropouts)
                          13.1 KHNL-DT
                          13.2 NBC WX+
                          14.1 KWHE-DT
                          20.1 KIKU-DT
                          66.1 ION
                          66.2 qubo
                          66.3 IONlife
                          66.4 Worship

In addition, 11 KHET (analog) has returned with much distortion.

Comment

I am in Los Angeles this week. The hotel where I am staying has installed Olevia televisions mounted on the wall with double combination locks to avoid theft--thought that this is a sign of the times here-- and is using a hybrid system that brings in the analog and HD signals over the air and satellite signals through a dish onsite. During the two days that the rain/snow was impacting Southern California during periods of mid to heavy rain the HD signals would disappear leaving a "no signal" message on the screen. I mention this because it is going to be a pain to miss portions of programs due to rain out..I guess that it is the same issue that effects Dish and Direct TV reception during weather events. Makes one wonder how/why this was not considered and why an IBOC (in band oin channel) system could not have been developed allowing the digital signal to always default to an analog signal...just as in FM IBOC.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                              If we're supposedly 'ready' for switching to digital broadcast early, why do I lose some digital stations every time it rains (not just heavy rain as yesterday)? I lost KFVE, KGMB and KHET yesterday (KFVE & KHET are still blank today).
                              Are you still using the "Rusty old rabbit ears, elevated to second floor ceiling level, parallel to window frame."? If so, my guess is that's not good enough any longer.

Originally posted by maximumradio
                              During the two days that the rain/snow was impacting Southern California during periods of mid to heavy rain the HD signals would disappear leaving a "no signal" message on the screen. I mention this because it is going to be a pain to miss portions of programs due to rain out..I guess that it is the same issue that effects Dish and Direct TV reception during weather events.
                              "Rain fade" affects microwave signals, especially those above 5 GHz., not VHF/UHF signals to any degree. The signals used by Dish/DTV reception are 12.2-12.7 -Gigahertz-, whereas VHF/UHF signals are at least a factor of 10 lower, ~50-800 Megahertz.

Did the "no signal" screen give any other indications of what box was generating the message?

--Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
                                Michael,
                                if the bar is in Kahului you should have absolutely no problems in seeing the digital signals.
                                Mike
                                Cool...last year when I was on the roof, I could 'see' PRG's 199ft. tower visually.

I'm curious about the actual date/time of the cutover.

The website, http://www.dtv.gov/Hawaii/index.html says, "Hawai'i will transition at 12 noon on January 15, 2009.", but a mailing I received today from Oceanic says the switch will happen at "midnight on January 15, 2009".

That 4WD road up to the new site is kinda' fun in the daytime, but I don't think I'd enjoy it as much at night.<g>

--Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X