Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Jukebox
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Keiki

Default Re: Night Clubs from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
ROUNDHOUSE - now BRAVO, under Anna Miller's;
ANNABELLE'S was the club on the Top of the Ilikai;
HONG KONG JUNK - Ilikai;
FERDINAND'S on Kuhio Ave.;
GREEN TURTLE on Kapiolani;
TIKI - International Marketplace;
CANTON PUKA - International Marketplace;
THE MOON - Outrigger Hotel PH

Oh, the memories ..............
Does anyone remember Music Magic with Jay Molina, Daryll Bluin, Al Pasqua?
They played upstairs,where that CPK is on Ala Moana Blvd.. It was Tops Cantebury or something.
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Haumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
There used to be a bar under a swimming pool, somewhere on the beach at Waikiki. A big glass window was built into the back of the bar, and customers would sit at the bar and watch the legs and torsos of the girls that happened to be in the water at the edge of the pool.

Like the Pearl City Tavern with its monkeys, but with swimmers, instead.
Was it Davey Jones Locker in the Outrigger Waikiki?

Last edited by bf334; July 29th, 2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old July 29th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf334 View Post
Was it Davey Jones Locker in the Outrigger Waikiki?
Yes,I believe so.There was also another underwater pool bar,between the Surfrider and Moana or something. Maybe that was Davy Jones Locker.
all pau now
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Ali`i

Boy, we could sure use another one of those mermaid bars!
DJL was a 'dive', but low key and a good place to cap one.
Old November 18th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Thumbs up Nagg's Head

Just got an email from someone who found this thread and asked me to post a message in the hopes it strikes a chord with others:
Quote:
I stumbled across this amazing thread that brought back some wonderful memories of the "old" days.

My late Father, Dennis Shelton, was the original manager for Nagg's Head, back in the day, and it was great to see that some members are still kickin' it and showin' their stuff. Nagg's infamous guitar player, Larry Ponce, who is the love of my life, I might add, may not be one that is still playing "live" anywhere, but he got his son, Nick, his first guitar and VOX amp, at age 13 and I don't think it's been out of da boyz hands, except for sleeping hours (and there are nights that I still hear him jammin' into the early morning hours...awwwww music to mama's ears!) Nick is now 17, has 2 electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 electric/acoustic (any ideas for Xmas this year LOL)... writes, sings, plays (along with keyboards) and is well on his own way, with recording tracks. The FEVER has set in.....

Larry's first lesson for Nick was, of course, Crazy Train! Hearing the young one play it, brings back countless memories...... the 80's clothing (spandex required), EYELINER, and the cases upon cases of hair spray....can't let the BIG hair fall when jammin' in the dark, smokey nights at the Cellar! You just can't top those days!!!!! Mahalo, for all the fun, crazy, endless memories of pure Hawaiian talent, at it's BEST!

To Mister Brian Sanford: My beautiful, buff, bass player.......how great it is to hear you came out of hiatus, to show this generation the amazing talent and passion you have! Good for you brah!

If anyone wants to talk story about Nagg's, feel free to contact me at: Hawaiiowa [at] aol.com
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Ali`i

I used to go to Territorial Tavern downtown on Bishop Street. Had a mad crush on the bartender who looked sorta like Sonny Bono. I've heard he's still bartending around down - does anyone know where? sorry, I'm old - can't remember his name. but he was really cute
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Nagg's Head

Boy, do I feel sorry for anyone that thinks the 80s can't be topped!
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Ali`i

Anybody remember Kojack's? I think it was on Young and Kalakaua. My friend used to play bass for Toma/Natto at that place way back in the 80's. Not really a nightclub, more like a lounge.
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:58 PM
Ali`i

La Hula Rhumba on Lunalilo St. You gotta be old...
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/msteeln/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/msteeln/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Ali`i

La Hula Rhumba on Lunalilo St. You gotta be old...
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
Ali`i

Dyke's Market and Tavern in Kalihi. D'Lani knows that one, and I'll bet can recall even Lucky Luck's Tavern in Hawaii Kai.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

There were a bunch of "Grills"...Kuhio Grill, Denver Grill, Beaver Grill, Aloha Grill, and don't forget all the bars in all the Bowling Alleys. Anyone remember Boulevard Bowl across Oahu Prison now OCCC. Who can forget the Oasis where they had them old time strippers. My father took our family, the whole ohana, to the Oasis when my oldest sister graduated and I saw my first stripper. If I recall correctly Bill "da knee" Pacheco a friend of my father's was the manager and that's how us young ones were allowed in.
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Luna

Talking Re: Night Clubs from the Past

I'm sure I won't be the first, but Kuhio Grill on S. King, the Gingerman, upstairs and down, was always interesting. Especially the genius who decided free spaghetti night and $00.25 tequila night was a good combo.! Charley's tavern, just down from there. And it wasn't a night club, but nickle Primo beer night at
the Old Stadium was always an occasion!
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
Just got an email from someone who found this thread and asked me to post a message in the hopes it strikes a chord with others:
I do know 3 of the members of Naggs Head. Brian Sanford was playing with me recently in Velvet Mantis and now he's with Black Prizm. Teddy Among is currently playing with 3 bands with Slug, Big Dawg and Black Prizm. Larry Ponce went to AHS with me but he's a few years older. I last seen Larry last year and he no longer plays. He owns a solar company selling solar water units as well as photovoltaic systems. No one knows the whereabouts of frontman Vernon Beebe.
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Boy, do I feel sorry for anyone that thinks the 80s can't be topped!
I was talking with a former 80s musicians recently who by the way still performs but not 80s rock. He told me he wouldn't be caught dead wearing spandex even though he wore them back in the day.
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
There were a bunch of "Grills"...Kuhio Grill, Denver Grill, Beaver Grill, Aloha Grill, and don't forget all the bars in all the Bowling Alleys. Anyone remember Boulevard Bowl across Oahu Prison now OCCC. Who can forget the Oasis where they had them old time strippers. My father took our family, the whole ohana, to the Oasis when my oldest sister graduated and I saw my first stripper. If I recall correctly Bill "da knee" Pacheco a friend of my father's was the manager and that's how us young ones were allowed in.
I never went to Oasis but my husband & I once went to Forbidden City. That was my first time seeing actual strippers. Needless to say - I never went back. HE might have, but he didn't tell me if he did.
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
I never went to Oasis but my husband & I once went to Forbidden City. That was my first time seeing actual strippers. Needless to say - I never went back. HE might have, but he didn't tell me if he did.
I went to the Stoplite. Once.
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Re: Night Clubs from the Past

A web wanderer named Gerry found this thread and asked to have a brief message posted as he looks for photos relating to the World Café:
Quote:
My name is Gerry Mattia, I reside in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I had the great opportunity to befriend two musicians that were 'headliners' at "World Café", that have now gone past twelve years. I am trying to compile old pics of 'World Café' to thank them for having gone back in studio and recording the tune, "World Café", I wrote the lyrics for and they musician'd. The project requires a collection of photographs - "IN" and "AROUND" that famous place - "World Café". If you have a pic (or more) please email: gerry@mattia.ca. All pictures submitted will be treated only for the picture itself -- acknowledgement for contribution will be given if you ask for said acknowledgement -- please understand I had to word it that way for legal reasons. . . anyone contributing deserves that kind of thanks. I will send each and everyone who contributes a link to the "video reaction" when they first see the final product - it will be set to the tune "World Café" that they recorded. THERE IS NO COMPENSATION FOR CONTRIBUTION TO THIS LOVING PROJECT.
Please get in touch if you think you can help!
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Ali`i

Outrigger Waikiki Showroom goes dark

HonoluluPulse:

Quote:
The Outrigger Waikiki Showroom, a showcase for local and visiting talent since 1969, closed its doors Wednesday, Nov. 20. Management said a reopening is planned after renovations in 2014, likely with a new production or show format.
During the mid 70's, I worked downstairs in the Blue Dolphin Room during the popularity boom of the Society of Seven, upstairs in the showroom. The crowd was always packed and energized. "The current act, the Society of Seven LV (Latest Version), was told about the shuttering moments after it gave its final performance before a crowd of 60." Another showroom closed now. But it does sound like the time had come.

Quote:
Over the decades, Waikiki showrooms have become an endangered specials. With the Outrigger’s temporary closure, the remaining showrooms now include the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani’s Ainahau Ballroom, home to “Creation,” a Tihati Polynesian revue; the Magic of Polynesia showroom at the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel, which houses John Hirokawa’s magic show; and the Royal Hawaiian Center’s fourth floor showroom, where a “Legends in Concert” production prevails.
The Royal Hawaiian’s Monarch Room still operates, but only as a special events venue, and show sites once housed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, Hilton Hawaiian Village and Moana Surfrider Hotel have been repurposed for retail space or other use. Free-standing showrooms such as the Duke Kahanamoku’s, Queen’s Surf, Hula Hut and Oceania Floating Restaurant were demolished over time.
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Ali`i

We could use The Blue Dolphin again, and the greats that played there. never be another time and place like that, you're to be envied, amati, if you were able to appreciate the moments.
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Keiki

Was anyone else there at Little Orphan Annie's when the B-52s played there or when The Talking Heads were there?
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by na alii View Post
Wasn't Jilly's at the Outrigger Reef Hotel where Shorebird is? It's next to the Halekulani Hotel. It's now called Outrigger Reef on the Beach.
Apparently it was at the Outrigger Reef Hotel. 2169 Kalia Rd does that sound right? Everyone is telling me it is a club called Shorebird, what is Shorebird like?
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlCityMike View Post
I couldn't find a thread on this, but I am trying to piece together all the Night clubs I went to in the past and where they were located. Feel free to add your favorites or other memories.

The Point After - Hawaii Regent: We went there every weekend. I made friends with a few of the bouncers and waitresses. It began to cater to tourists in the early 90's and wasn't the same. I heard it closed in 2004 or so.

Bobby McGees - near Sansusi (sp?) Beach: We went about once a month. I used to order the bartenders iced tea pitcher and carry it around.

Rumours - Ala Moana SC: Stopped in this place once in a while.

Cilly's - Hyatt Regency: Only went about 10 times total.

La Mancha's - Keeaumoku: I only went here a couple times in 1981.

The Power Station - Ilikai: This place was happening in 1985. Met and dated a waitress there. It was called Hell before '85.

Rock and Roll Clinic - at the edge of Waikiki. In 1984 a table full of servicemen next to us lit up a pakalolo pipe and passed it to us. I got a good hit, then the bouncers saw us and took the pipe away from them. Anyone remember what this club's name changed to in 1987? Also - I heard it was dangerous at one time and fights broke out.

Jazz Cellar - Waikiki: In 1984 there was a band that played there where the lead singer looked like a Jim Morrison clone!

Rock-Za: Where was this again?

Jilly's - across Rock and Roll Clinic: I think this was one of the names of this place. I only went there a couple times.

There was a little night club on Kuhio a block from the ABC store that I can't recall the name(s) of. Some high class strip bar (Silver Fox?) opened up across from it in the late 80's.
How about Valentino's anyone remember that? Also "Infinity", i think it was on Kalakaua Ave you had to walk down these steps of a building to get there i believe it was a hotel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Jilly's was in the basement of that hotel, on Lewers street.
the Halekulani Hotel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cezanne View Post
Yup . Never went to Jilly's... Shorebird yes.
Whats Shorebird like?
Old March 8th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

As quiet as this forum is, it does bring in nostalgic people from all over thanks to the great conversations over the years turning up in search engines. Below is an inquiry regarding recordings of "The Moving Company" (precursor to the "Hawaiian Moving Company"), in case someone with such recordings happens across this thread. Donnalynn gave me permission to post for her, please contact her directly with any leads!

Quote:
Aloha,

My name is Donnalynn Kaimi. I was browsing your website and I must thank you for your list of Disco Nightclubs from back in the 1980s.

I was specifically searching for the broadcast shows filmed at the Hyatt Regency's Spats Nightclub in Waikiki called, "The Moving Company". (Before it became the "Hawaiian Moving Company".) Back then, this show featured the latest dance craze and disco moves, somewhat like "The Soul Train".

Please help me find those lost segments. I was part of this show and had fun filming this. I would be so happy to watch this and remember the happy times of Waikiki.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. I can't wait till you get back with me on this!

Sincerely yours,
Donna Lynn Kaimi
donnalynnkaimi@gmail.com