Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Engle

Please stop talking about Y. Hata/MidCity Restaurant Supply's retail store on Sand Island Access Rd., the Web site of which can be found at yhata.com for store hours, driving directions, etc.
... and where great deals on all-kine stuff, esp. for your cooking/party/entertaining needs can be found.
I want it to remain "my little secret."
This is good stuff to know. I had somehow always been under the impression that Y. Hata, whose office and warehouse used to be located at Fort Armstrong back behind the old Gold Bond Building, was a wholesale-only grocery distribution outfit. This was also a company whose management seemed to be quite frugal in the way of buying any new equipment for moving their frieight, such as flatbed trucks and forklifts which dated back to the 40's and 50's, as they kept on repairing (they had a small repair shop run by two local Japanese WWII-era mechanics) the antiquated machinery instead of buying anything new. I remember all this because I used to tow and haul their equipment for them whenever they broke down. Dang, I wish I knew they sold retail back then.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkah
I remember all this because I used to tow and haul their equipment for them whenever they broke down. Dang, I wish I knew they sold retail back then.
I don't know how long ago you worked there ... I also don't know exactly how long they've had the retail operation, but it has been at least a few years.

I've got a few frying pans and other cookware/utensils from there; some have all-metal handles, but they also sell these "sleeves" that are like oven-mitts for the panhandle ... I purchased a super-large, super-inexpensive "woven wood" salad bowl from there that my friend coveted for a long time. Last time I went, they had 'em back in stock, so I bought her one. She was thrilled. It's a great store, but it's only open til noon on Sat. and closed on Sun.

Okay -- Popeye's Chicken. Red beans and rice. Yummy biscuits. Back on topic.
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkah
This is good stuff to know. I had somehow always been under the impression that Y. Hata, whose office and warehouse used to be located at Fort Armstrong back behind the old Gold Bond Building, was a wholesale-only grocery distribution outfit. This was also a company whose management seemed to be quite frugal in the way of buying any new equipment for moving their frieight, such as flatbed trucks and forklifts which dated back to the 40's and 50's, as they kept on repairing (they had a small repair shop run by two local Japanese WWII-era mechanics) the antiquated machinery instead of buying anything new. I remember all this because I used to tow and haul their equipment for them whenever they broke down. Dang, I wish I knew they sold retail back then.

Be careful when you buy actual food at this place. Buggy! I've found so much infestation there, that I no longer buy edibles!
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal

Be careful when you buy actual food at this place. Buggy! I've found so much infestation there, that I no longer buy edibles!
Wow, that's also good to know. Mahalo, LG!
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Kumu

Wow - I've not had that experience.

FYI, I posted links to the story about the other restaurant supply stores and another one about kitchen gadgets (and alternatives) from the hardware store -- in a more appropriate thread.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Ali`i

They have a Popeye's Express at the Naval Exchange which I found out the other day non-military can buy food at any food court store, they even have a I Love Country Express place as well. Its all new, neat and clean so I will go back there again. However, you cannot shop there if you are non-military.

There is as noted a Popeye's in Wahiawa and in Kalihi on Dillingham. They also opened a Popeye's Express in Waipahu near the Sizzler and there is also one inside the Waikiki Trade Center that is an Express as well. I have heard Popeye's will be expanding here as well.

Also the Popeye's near Ala Moana was open even in the early 90's as I saw a commercial circa 1990-91 on an old videotape of mine.

As for Wendy's they are building a new one near Aloha Stadium (what is it with building all of these Wendy's near freeways??). Wendy's is also expanding here as well, I saw an ad they are opening one in Millilani and Wapio Gentry I think. I dont know what happened to the supposed Wendy's near Kahala Mall. The empty lot seems perfect for a Wendy's and again its near yet another freeway. They used to have one downtown about 10-15 years ago.

I, too would like a Wendy's in town somewhere. I wish Ala Moana foodcourt would have more mainland fast food restaurants like a Wendy's or Popeye's Express, I know the tourists would love it. But I have no problem with the local food they serve there either, just would like more variety and/or choices I guess.

KalihiBoy
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalihiboy

There is as noted a Popeye's in Kalihi on Dillingham.
which looks all bus. sign is broken. dun look appetizing.
Old August 27th, 2019, 02:01 AM
Ali`i

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americas-...200600990.html

I'm not voting for Popeye's Chicken Sandwich if it tastes like their chicken tenders.
Old November 14th, 2019, 02:42 AM
Ali`i

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...1ca391f08de560

Will their chicken sandwich be hyped like the ramen burger?