Glucosamine allergy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glucosamine allergy?

Quick question: I've developed soreness in my wrists while typing or playing my guitar (not good for my lines of work). I've had glucosamine suggested by several friends with similar issues. I got some, but noticed that it contains "shrimp, crab, lobster, crayfish". I have a mild allergy to shellfish, although I still eat it. Should I be concerned about taking glucosamine?
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Re: Glucosamine allergy?

Jamie...please take the time to ask a medical professional; maybe a pharmacist, nutritionist or a doc who specializes in allergies. We'd all like to help you by offering advice but, in this case, you'll truly get what you pay for!!!

BTW...glad to see you back on HT.

Comment

you might also want to get checked for carpal tunnel syndrome.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Glucosamine is a placebo, so why not just take an aspirin or ibuprofen? It's cheaper and a bit more effective. Better yet, opium derivatives will not only help those symptoms, you'll prolly not even want to type or strum with sufficient dosage. Bee sting therapy can be quite helpful, too (much better than those cortisone shots).
        Last edited by salmoned; October 2, 2010, 11:43 PM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Thanks, yall. I guess I should just ask Ye Olde Interniste.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
            Quick question: I've developed soreness in my wrists while typing or playing my guitar (not good for my lines of work).
            You might want to look into some massage therapy and stretching. You can do a lot of it yourself so its not an expensive option. I recommend that stuff for people who do a lot of repetitious tasks with their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
              Quick question: I've developed soreness in my wrists while typing or playing my guitar (not good for my lines of work). I've had glucosamine suggested by several friends with similar issues. I got some, but noticed that it contains "shrimp, crab, lobster, crayfish". I have a mild allergy to shellfish, although I still eat it. Should I be concerned about taking glucosamine?
              If you're allergic to those kinds of shell fish and if Glucosamine has it, common sense tells me that you shouldn't take it. I'm allergic to pollen and guess what happened when I took some Bee Pollen extract? I had an allergic reaction. Of course back then in my 20's I somewhat lacked common sense

As for your symptoms, like anapuni808 said, it could be carpal tunnel. But do check out holistic methods in great detail as a cure. Operations should be a last option. I had a carpal tunnel operation from Kaiser, and now my right hand is in more pain than before the operation and with more limited range of motion. Now six years later arthritis is setting in on this hand making it worse.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

craig - having carpal tunnel syndrome doesn't always mean surgery is required. when i got that diagnosis i didn't have surgery - treatment was a brace on my hand for 3 months, 24 hrs a day. it's been about 10 yrs now and it has never come back.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                X