No announcement yet.

Are your kids hand sanitizer sniffers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your kids hand sanitizer sniffers?

While shopping, my youngest daughter often asks us to buy her a small bottle of hand sanitizer. Our kids aren't known for being overly cleanly, so my wife and I find it odd, but we just tell her no and forget about it.

Today I read about a 4 year old girl who got drunk from licking hand sanitizer. Apparently it's equivalent to 120 proof booze. Can't imagine anyone enjoying the taste, but then again some kids like to eat glue or boogers.

So I asked my youngest daughter if the kids in her grade use hand sanitizers a lot. She nods. Then I ask her if they sniff it. Her reply: "Lots."

I asked my older daughter the same question, and I got the same reply.

I'm not overly concerned about it. I told the girls it's only bad if they do it too much and it becomes a habit. I think it's popular because it's an exclusive product, in that only a few kids have it and other kids have to beg them for some. One of the many crazes and power plays which sweep through schools.
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; March 9, 2009, 06:08 PM.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Are your kids hand sanitizer sniffers?

Sniffing fumes is probably not a safety issue, according to this site:

http://inhalants.org/pipermail/partn...8-February.txt

From the NIPC Inhalant Prevention UPDATE (the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition's electronic newsletter):

"After checking with several PoisonControlCenter sources (a great resource -- to reach your local center call 800/222 - 1222) the NIPC determined that sniffing hand sanitizer would have almost no effect however, because of its high alcohol content, a danger comes from drinking it. According to Dr. Earl Siegel, co-director, Cincinnati Drug & Poison Information Center: "It (hand sanitizer) contains 62% alcohol so the practice is as likely to get someone "high" as sniffing a stiff drink like sniffing a shot of whiskey. Therefore it is unlikely to be a significant high and certainly not expected to have effects similar to sudden sniffing death syndrome, etc. There have been vapor bars (Alcohol Without Liquid or AWOL) around the country (banned in many states) that have a device for volatilizing ethyl alcohol. All in all I think that drinking hand sanitizer is the primary issue of abuse and not sniffing it."
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Gross!!

Hey, anyone remember how schoolkids used to sniff papers that were freshly printed at the mimeograph machines? (purple ink!!) Yick!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        likely to get someone "high" as sniffing a stiff drink like sniffing a shot of whiskey.
        That sounds reasonable. Thanks for digging that quote up, Amati.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        Hey, anyone remember how schoolkids used to sniff papers that were freshly printed at the mimeograph machines?
        Purple noses!
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Gross!!

Hey, anyone remember how schoolkids used to sniff papers that were freshly printed at the mimeograph machines? (purple ink!!) Yick!
          Your post brought back memories of when I was an office manager and had to run the mimeo machine for various things and I started to recall the clunking sound it would make as it went around and around and the smell!

Comment

I was at an office-supply store yesterday, and the clerk checked my ID before selling me a can of "compressed air" (to use for cleaning my computer). She said that kids have been huffing the propellant in the cans, and they keep names on file that police have said were involved in buying the stuff for kids.

Comment

When I was at Wal-Mart a few years ago with one of my friends who's a 5th grade teacher, they outright refused to sell her a Sharpie because she didn't have her ID. Not a big, fat stinky marker, but a fine-point Sharpie. And we were 25! I had my ID and tried to buy it, but they hasselled me, saying they knew I was just going to give it to her. I told them I would "supervise her" with it and they finally let me buy it. They didn't write down my info either. Just checked my ID.

I get that sniffing kills brain cells and all, but seriously? I don't ever get carded for cigarettes or alcohol, but I get carded for Sharpies?? I think this carding sh!t is getting too crazy. Kids that really want to huff are going to find ways to do it anyway, and I know I don't look 17.

Case in point- about 6 or 7 years ago, I used to date this guy who lived across the city. We'd always see cans of aeorosol Rightguard deodorant outside of his next-door neighbors' house. Every time I went over there, they would be more and more cans of it. We'd joke that they must be really stinky, but I finally realized that their kids were huffing Rightguard. That's really sad. Just give the kids back their Sharpies. They have to be better for them than Rightguard.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Gross!!

LOL! I used to do that too, and I was the parent aide at school... I sure didn't get high from it. I just loved that smell.

Oh, and some printer paper smells like Dolce & Gabbana cologne too; but it doesn't get you high either.

It makes me sad that they even feel like they want to get high. These are supposed to be the carefree days of youth for them. What will they be like, all grown up, with the full pressures of adulthood thrust upon them?

Oy.

Comment

We were talking about hand sanitizer abuse yesterday at work in the ED; seems the kids buy the large jugs of the clear gel variety, flavor it and have "jello shots" to get drunk. Very cheap way to get drunk and /or alcohol poisoned from 120 proof ethyl alcohol.

There are occasional problems with small kids ingesting it, but the older kids can be a bigger problem.

I haven't seen any cases myself yet, but other nurses have.
                  Last edited by cyleet99; March 11, 2009, 03:26 PM. Reason: needed another word

Comment

That. Is. So. Gross.
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I had a little bottle of Apple scented hand santi once. I bet that wouldn't have tasted half bad. Some Appletinis are pretty damn strong!

I don't know if this is better or worse than the lipstick parties of 5 years ago.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I would think that it tastes awful, with or without alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                          I would think that it tastes awful, with or without alcohol.
                          Kinda like your first beer?

Comment

Working...
                          X