Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Eastside Bar and Grill at Puck's Alley is now closed indefinitely. Too bad they couldn't make it to the end of UH's football season.
    Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    If they closed for financial reasons then it appears football season might not have been much help to begin with. Still, it's sad to see the loss of another small business.
    eric and i might be able to provide some insight as to what ailed eastside. apparently, the original owner, roberto acoba, sold the business sometime in spring/summer 2008 to someone else. we found out because when we went to eastside to watch the UH-Fresno game in october, we were prodded into sending this email to the address provided at the original eastside grill website (we had not known about the ownership change or the name change to eastside bar and grill, which has its own website here). i think it says a lot that i was tapping this email out on my blackberry during the 2nd quarter of the game, while still in the bar:

We're sitting in your bar right now and we're really disappointed. We'd come here several times last year during the UH football season and were happy with the food, service, and drinks. While the service remains at the same quality level, the food coming out of the kitchen has tanked.

First of all, we ordered the fried rice, which we remembered being quite good last year, but this afternoon was unacceptable. There were at least three one to two-inch wide clumps of rice that were pretty much still just white rice. Your cook clearly made only a token effort to blend all the ingredients together. Secondly, the rice was oozing with oil and had very little flavor. We sent it back and asked for plain white rice and hiyayako instead. We were a little annoyed that the two scoops of rice clearly smelled a little old--as if they came from a batch cooked more than a day ago and simply reheated.

We also ordered the pork chops, which, by the way, came with two scoops of rice much fresher than the first, thankfully. The pork was overcooked and very oily. Clearly the pork was cooked in oil that was not hot enough. Cutting corners with canned or packaged gravy did not help matters either.

Additionally, for the price, the poke had way too much onion versus fish.

Sadly, the only thing good that came out of your kitchen was the waffle fries, which, unlike the pork, was cooked in oil at the proper temperature. Even the tofu's furikake tasted artificial and cheap.

We understand that in harder economic times, businesses need to cut back or raise prices. It seems you've done both. That wouldn't be so bad if the quality of your food were just as good as last year, but it's not. In some ways, while you charge prices similar to maybe side street or kochi, your food quality has tanked to being the same level as a hospital cafeteria. This is truly unfortunate. We enjoyed our visits here last year, but believe with today's experience that it's unlikely we'll return.

To be clear, the service we received was still relatively prompt and friendly. We appreciate that.
    we got a response the following day from the former owner, apologizing for our poor experience and informing us that he had sold the business. he told us that he had received other, similar comments and urged us to mail the email we sent him to the new owners. we never got around to it. however, i feel that if you care so little as to send out $8 fried rice with one and a half inch balls of plain rice clearly evident in the plate, then you probably deserve to fail.

for the record, the tab that night came out to $78. we couldn't bring ourselves to leave because of the game, and we just consoled ourselves with more beer even tho the food was so regrettable--two pitchers of primo, plus two or more pints. and they left the ghastly fried rice on the tab! *thumbs down* we just paid the bill, shopped for about an hour at ala mo (to soothe my irritation) and then had dinner at izakaya nonbei. the sanma sashimi we ordered was to soothe eric's irritation.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
      [...]we were prodded into sending this email to the address provided at the original eastside grill website (we had not known about the ownership change or the name change to eastside bar and grill, which has its own website here).[...]
      It's interesting to me that the original owner's web site is still up and the new, now defunct, owner's site is already down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        Went by Flamingo Kapiolani the other night, all dark and sad.
        Taken in the final nights.....
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          It's interesting to me that the original owner's web site is still up and the new, now defunct, owner's site is already down.
          to be honest, i sent the email i quoted above to the newest former owners of eastside shortly after putting up my original post. i wonder if that's why they took it down. *shrug* eric rightfully pointed out that i probably just poured hella amounts of salt into their very sore wounds.

i my defense, i did wish them well in future endeavors. it's just that i also told them they needed not only luck, but better cooks, cheaper beer, and a more attentive eye towards quality for the price.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

And now, Shogun at Pacific Beach Hotel is closed too.

UPDATE: It was actually last year! The flier said November 30th, so I thought it was the other day -- but I should have gotten a clue with Friday. Anyways, much delayed "aww bummers"
            Last edited by infinitypro; December 2, 2008, 10:13 AM. Reason: Update
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by infinitypro View Post
              And now, Shogun at Pacific Beach Hotel is closed too.

UPDATE: It was actually last year! The flier said November 30th, so I thought it was the other day -- but I should have gotten a clue with Friday. Anyways, much delayed "aww bummers"
              heheheh...

I was wondering. But still, doesn't surprise me.

Pacific Beach.
              Here's story from KHNL
              http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=9440764

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Went to the Dole Cannery Food Court for lunch today and seems that there are only 3 vendors left in the area, the Korean plate lunch is closed.

Comment

• Thanx, GG!

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  Taken in the final nights.....
                  Just now noticed that. Any more?
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Spots - now PHO/Dillingham Grill

The new proprietors in the old Spots joint accross from HCC on Dillingham Bl. at Palama Stream have hit on what will probably prove to be a winner. Combining the popular pho phenom with classic plate lunch offerings will bring in a large crowd for a mix of reasons/clientel, providing it's all good!

Comment

About a month ago, the Banana Patch Lounge in the lobby of the Miramar Hotel closed its doors. If you're a vet of the Waikiki nightlife, you may recall the likes of Freddie Morris, Andy Bumatai, and Pico Payne gracing its stage.

I do believe that Banana Patch's closure leaves only one karaoke bar left in Waikiki (GS Studio).
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Oh thank God...

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        I do believe that Banana Patch's closure leaves only one karaoke bar left in Waikiki (GS Studio).
                        Only one more to go!

Comment

• Re: Thanx, GG!

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          Just now noticed that. Any more?
                          I shot of bunch. Some actually came out. Anything you're looking for? All of them are from the outside.

Since I can't remember ever eating there, I didn't bother with inside. To me it was that neon sign that made it a area landmark. (Anyone else remember when the arrows were sequential?)

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                            Shung Chong Yuen, the Chinese bakery on Maunakea street, closed this week. They have been in business for a very long time.
                            I noticed that a new bakery has opened in the same location. It looks like most of the products are the same.

Comment

Sad to say, Taishoken (rated as one of the best ramen places in Honolulu by many) is no longer there. It shut its door in December. I never had a chance to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                                Sad to say, Taishoken (rated as one of the best ramen places in Honolulu by many) is no longer there. It shut its door in December. I never had a chance to try it.
                                Was taishoken was on koreamoku?

Comment

Working...
                                X