Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Very limited internet options

Originally posted by amagab View Post
    Sorry, just a guess....majority of the people I know have RR.
    Nah, I was one of the last few dial-up users holding out for a better deal. The same goes for Digital Television (I'd rather go Free OTA, if possible, unless there is Free cable around the corner).

I have 4Mbps at home and 10Mbps at work. The 10Mbps connection is blazing fast. I can handle 4Mbps but would like to have 10. It's all about saving time. I do a lot of up- and downloading online so if I could get things done faster I'll have more time for other things.
    Does Roadrunner have other rate plan than 4Mbps? If so, how much does Roadrunner offer for something around the neighborhood of 10Mbps.

I know that Hawaiian Telcom is offering 11Mbps for $50/month.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The 10Mbps we have at work is provided by Time Warner but I think that is a business package and it's expensive as hell. I'm not sure if they have anything other than 4Mbps for residential.

Comment

The 10Mbps we have at work is provided by Time Warner but I think that is a business package and it's expensive as hell. I'm not sure if they have anything other than 4Mbps for residential.
        Well, you can take Hawaiian Telcom 11Mbps package or wait for the price to go down.

I know there is the Time Warner Roadrunner, but isn't there an Earthlink cable broadband service?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          I know there is the Time Warner Roadrunner, but isn't there an Earthlink cable broadband service?
          Earthlink is pretty much the same as RR. Earthlink in Hawaii is sold by Time Warner and runs on their infrastructure. The price is slightly different though. It's a couple of dollars less than RR but if you get bundle pricing then RR is less.

Comment

Not anymore. I just took the $20/month 3Mbps deal from Hawaiian Telcom.
            Ahhrrrggg!!! I so would have taken this deal if I wasn’t tied down to Clearwire. I find it very interesting that Hawaiian Telcom sales reps never told people about this. I’m sure 99% of the people out there assume you have to buy phone service from them to get DSL. Where was Konaguy when I was signing up for ClearlyExpensiveWire?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Yes, ClearWire is clearly not the way to go. My friend got sucked into their contract and truly regrets it. They're expensive and slow. Only good for people who do not have access to cable or DSL.....still then I'd probably get a Verizon or AT&T wireless card instead.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Ahhrrrggg!!! I so would have taken this deal if I wasn’t tied down to Clearwire. I find it very interesting that Hawaiian Telcom sales reps never told people about this. I’m sure 99% of the people out there assume you have to buy phone service from them to get DSL. Where was Konaguy when I was signing up for ClearlyExpensiveWire?
                Well, the Hawaiian Telcom 3Mbps deal only started June last month, and according to their web site they're extending the offer through July 31.

Sorry to hear about your ClearlySuckWire deal. I nearly got roped into it until I asked if they covered the neighbor islands (mainly Moloka'i).

You're better off getting wireless broadband service from cell phone providers (e.g., Verizon Wireless).

Comment

Does Roadrunner have other rate plan than 4Mbps? If so, how much does Roadrunner offer for something around the neighborhood of 10Mbps.

I know that Hawaiian Telcom is offering 11Mbps for $50/month.
                  Oceanic is offering 15Mbps/1Mbps service for 69.90. But I'm sure if you bundle with their other services the overall price drops.
                  Also there is caveat to this speed tier. Its only available in certain areas of Oahu.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

For the sales person standpoint selling dry DSL service is probably not as lucrative as selling everything and the kitchen sink with a full blown landline
                    and DSL. But on the flip side, not everyone wants the kitchen sink. So they are losing out on customers such as you that just want Internet access only.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm using DSL without the phone.

Comment

[...]I find it very interesting that Hawaiian Telcom sales reps never told people about this.[...]
                        I have Htel's bundled MyChoice service (phone/dsl/long distance), offered initially last year at $65.95/mo. I saw it advertised last month for $55.95/mo. Hrrrrmph! It's now less than what I'm paying...so I called Htel and asked if I could get the reduced rate. Yep! Of course there was no advertising to the effect that current customers could get the new rate. One had to ask. And, it's good for only 12 months. New rate was supposed to take affect within 3 business days of my call 3 weeks ago. I just received my bill and I'm still at the higher rate! I guess they're gonna make me work for the lower rate!

Comment

another vote for Hawtel DSL bundle

I've had the Hawtel bundle with the higher 7mps speed and love it! It's very reliable,unlike RR.
                          One thing to be aware of with tw's bundle-when the power goes out,so does their phone service

Comment

Well, at least we should be happy we don't have Comcast in Hawaii:

http://www.wired.com/politics/online...portfolio_0711

Comment

Re: another vote for Hawtel DSL bundle

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                              One thing to be aware of with tw's bundle-when the power goes out,so does their phone service
                              Does that include VOIP like Vonage?

I keep chuckling at there commercial jabbing at telephone companies. Then again, maybe their customers are mainly cell phone users who simply do not want to waste their minutes when they're at home, yet won't invest in landlines themselves.

Comment

Re: another vote for Hawtel DSL bundle

Does that include VOIP like Vonage?
                                Yes, unless you get your Internet from Hawaiian Telcom and have your router and phone equipment hooked up to a backup power source.

One good thing with DSL is that if the power goes out (like recent earthquake) you can still use internet if you have everything plugged into a backup power source.....it be either a battery or generator.

Comment

Working...
                                X