Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Very limited internet options

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    I am also seriously debating turning off our house phone, as we all have cellphones.
    Yup, that is the way to go. A recent article estimated that 8% of Hawaiian Telcom's customer left last year for cell phones only.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
      the other thing to think about is you'll end up have the majority of people choosing what channels everyone watches... meaning a lot of the specialty networks and channels are supported because they are being subsidized by their larger counter part.

for example, in a la carte world A&E may no longer produce the Biography channel because they wouldn't have enough people paying for it to make it justifiable to keep.
      That is called the FREE MARKET. Supply and demand.

If demand slacks off for a channel, then the company knows, "hey we're wasting time and money putting this stuff out". End product produce something else.

I don't like having to subsidize shopping channels, fashion channels and other specialty channels that I don't watch. And if the specialty channel that I do watch is not supported, well so be it.

In this world of DVDs and internet, programing can and will always be found somewhere else.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
        Wow, you're getting away "cheap". I didn't know you could get cable and rr for that little money. However, then you don't have digital cable, right?
        What he probably has is what most people call "Lifeline service", Oceanic calls it "Basic Service". What most people call "Basic" Oceanic calls "Standard Service".

Basic is just the local broadcast channels, gov't/p.i. channels(C-SPAN/O'lelo) and TBS. Oceanic charges $13.28+fees and taxes for the service. Oceanic installs a line filter the screen out the standard service channels.

However, per FCC rules even basic subs are entitled to premium services(HBO, etc.) without sub'ing to standard or digital cable. Judging from Oceanic's website NGN would qualify, but HD service does not.

In a way this is ala carte, it's just that Oceanic never publicizes it and very few ask or know that it exist.
        Ditto for it's "Family Choice" package which is basic plus 14 digital channels(DIY, Food and Disney as example) but you have to specially order it from Oceanic and it's existence is nowhere to be found.

Comment

Internet provider or not, its hard to compare a country or countries in Europe vs. a small group of island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Pickings are just slim here.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Well if you can afford DSL (the most expensive form of personal household internet access), you obviously aren’t in a position to appreciate the budget-balancing act of those in the lower income brackets.
            Eh, no need sarcasm. The Oceanic cable at the top of our street floods at the slightest rainfall, and after three years of squabbling with them I left for the next-best operational alternative.

If you have a cheaper (yet functional) Internet-access rate than DSL with comparable bandwidth then I'd appreciate hearing about it.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
              How is DSL 'the most expensive form of personal household internet access'? I have it and don't pay even close to half the quoted $200/mo (in fact, I only pay close to $200/mo for internet, phone, water/sewer and electric combined).
              So exactly how much do you pay for (D)igital (S)ubscriber (L)ines? I know Hawaiian Telcom has been advertising some pretty competitive rates. But my understanding is that unlike RoadRunner, which is a cable modem service, DSL had additional “usage fees,” as has always been the case with that technology. I could be wrong, but please elaborate.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
              I get my HDTV over-the-air and reception is fairly reliable for all stations - although the stations do have recurring glitches, especially 5.1 and 13.1.
              I’ve been contemplating getting an HD OTA receiver, which would cost a pretty penny at Best Buy (around $180.00?). My Sony HD monitor, unfortunately, did not come with the receiver built-in. I’m assuming you use a built-in HD receiver, but do you also use an aftermarket HD signal booster?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

So exactly how much do you pay for (D)igital (S)ubscriber (L)ines? I know Hawaiian Telcom has been advertising some pretty competitive rates. But my understanding is that unlike RoadRunner, which is a cable modem service, DSL had additional “usage fees,” as has always been the case with that technology. I could be wrong, but please elaborate.
                You might want to look into Hawaiian Tel's DSL. We've been paying a bit over $31/month ever since we bailed on Oceanic's $39.95 "service".

No additional usage fees here. Never heard of the "as has always been the case with that technology" issue.
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                  You might want to look into Hawaiian Tel's DSL. We've been paying a bit over $31/month ever since we bailed on Oceanic's $39.95 "service".

No additional usage fees here. Never heard of the "as has always been the case with that technology" issue.
                  I've had DSL through Verizon Hawaii and Hawaiian Telcom.I've never been changed any usage fees on top of their regular rate.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                    Actually, it still is the case with LavaNet. (They call it a “telecom fee”) It’s important to remember that Hawaiian Telcom has only been marketing DSL to residential customers for about 5 or 6 years. Since they have a monopoly on our phone lines, they can offer the cheaper rate. 15 years ago, they had zero expertise in residential DSL. Back then, RoadRunner didn’t exist in the islands and internet pioneers LavaNet and Hawai‘i Online were the only game in town.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Actually, it still is the case with LavaNet. (They call it a “telecom fee”) It’s important to remember that Hawaiian Telcom has only been marketing DSL to residential customers for about 5 or 6 years. Since they have a monopoly on our phone lines, they can offer the cheaper rate. 15 years ago, they had zero expertise in residential DSL. Back then, RoadRunner didn’t exist in the islands and internet pioneers LavaNet and Hawai‘i Online were the only game in town.
                      If you use a third party ISP for DSL, Hawaiian Telcom charges a circuit fee and the ISP charges a Internet access fee. For this reason,third party ISPs offering DSL service is a dying breed. Flex (Del Wong) recently decided to cease offering DSL service because it has become a money losing proposition.

LavaNet DSL is more geared toward the business DSL niche. Especially since they have usage caps also (e.g if you exceed 6GB's a month you have to pay more).

Lastly Verizon Hawaii started offering DSL service here in 1998, not 5-6 years ago. Road Runner was introduced to Hawaii in 1997.Kailua-Kona on the Big Island was the first neighbor island to get cable modem service in 2000. Hilo was one of the first locations in 1998 that Verizon rolled out DSL service.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                        Verizon Hawaii started offering DSL service here in 1998, not 5-6 years ago.
                        Yes, it was available then, but if you read my post carefully, I said they did not begin marketing DSL to residential customers until about 5-6 years ago. By that I mean, offering specials, advertising on television, setting up booths at Blaisdell events, etc. Like most telcoms, they dragged their feet with DSL and only began ramping up efforts because of brave pioneers LavaNet and Hawai‘i Online who had the customer service expertise at a time when HawaiianTel (precursor of Verizon) was clueless.

All this is besides the point I was initially trying to make: DSL is more expensive, because you can’t purchase it unless you buy Hawaiian Telcom phone service. Many consumers (like myself) have no need or desire for a “home phone” and are perfectly satisfied with cellular as our primary point of contact.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

All this is besides the point I was initially trying to make: DSL is more expensive, because you can’t purchase it unless you buy Hawaiian Telcom phone service. Many consumers (like myself) have no need or desire for a “home phone” and are perfectly satisfied with cellular as our primary point of contact.
                          Actually you can get DSL service from Hawaiian Telcom without a landline.Its called dry DSL service. The cost is only 5.00 more per service
                          tier.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

A device called a wireless internet client bridge lets several families share a common link.
                            A large antenna expands ones range of links.
                            With the use of aluminun foil and some cardboard and spray adhesive one can make hi gain wireless internet antennas
                            A parabolic dish is a good place to start.
                            Download grocery coupons.

Comment

I just read a recent study by the OECD that says that the US ranks 15th out of 30 countries for broadband penetration and US consumers pay more than people in more than two-thirds of the countries studied. Also, the US ranked among the last regarding speed increases.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                                Actually you can get DSL service from Hawaiian Telcom without a landline.Its called dry DSL service. The cost is only 5.00 more per service tier.
                                Really? Even though Hawaiian Telcom is the one that installs the landline in your home?

How many ISP offer dry DSL service in Hawaii?
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X