Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caring for your parents

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
    [...]give and take give and take reciprocate. guess, it's my turn again. ooh, boy![...]
    Well...not really! Give and take isn't meant to be an equal exchange. It's not tit for tat, li'dat! You were there when needed. That's HUGE.

Comment

Sending you tons of cyberhugs!!!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Kani, do not take thought of your not "looking" for a pat on the back. The accolades for what you did today were sincerely said and justified.

Sue is so right about it not "being your turn." My dear auntie across the street and my family do for each other, she'll bring muffins still warm, and cookies not totally cool, we'll give her freshly made Taco Soup, and even a two year old stove because we bought the one we'd really wanted, but it isn't an obligation thing, and I pull back from the feeling that I've got to run do something simply because she just did, etc. We're cool with each other and don't care if one of us does three things in a row for the other, etc.

Gal, did ya get the windows done? I hope so. I didn't touch ours, today. I did everything but them. they are saying more rain, and higher humidity and that is gross weather to try to clean them in, and heck, why bother? That's the weather that mucks them up again. (excuses, I got excuses, lol)
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Wow Kani - what a day. And your post makes me believe what is sometimes
          not always certain: there are angels among us and you are one!

Comment

ah, shucks you guys and gals! you got me blushing!

what puzzles me about our neighbor is that when i called to check on her and the husband answered with a, "thanks ah", he didn't seem too concerned?! DENIAL? was thinking of taking her some miso soup with tofu in it today. not because it's my turn, but i'm genuinely concerned about her. maybe it's just not any of my business?! you know when i finally sat down to have dinner, i realized that i had a headache.

on a lighter note, mom enjoyed the brownies. this woman will hesitate to eat good food, but give her some sweets and she's the happiest woman in the world!

karen: i did get the windows done. even though more wet weather is forecasted, i just couldn't stand the sight of them. me thinks better to have wet "clean" windows than wet sludgey, mucky, muddy ones. we live on a main thoroughfare and the soot accumulates. then there's the salt build up. ugh!

tutusue: love your signature. i'll have to remember that one.

leashlaws: huggz to you and yours. hope you were able to find a florist.

turtlegirl: welcome to the neighborhood--kailua!

okay everyone. take care of you and yours and have a fabulous day! that's my intention, but anything could happen?! )
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Sending a cyber gardenia your way for a good day! I was out walking Manele & Koele and my neighbor has a bush that is absolutely snow white with
              huge gardenias. He told me to help myself so on the way back I grabbed
              a few and am sending gardenia thoughts your way!

I am now going to look for a florist. I am thinking Picket Fence in Kailua
              could help, I've got PT in a bit over there so I'll stop in on my way home.

Comment

Kani-lehua, you got the windows done too! Am glad for ya and I should......be ashamed by comparison, ha.

Yes, it is "some of your business" because the sweet lady makes it so everytime she brings you into her home and her life. The Miso is a good idea.

Gardenias.....oh man, they are wonderful and even grow well in Texas. I grew up with a large one outside our front, livingroom window. Of course it was either cold or hot there and windows open only 3 or 4 days of each year but I sure did bring them indoors and enjoy them. I don't have any now but do have those hedges that have the tiny, white flowers that are very aromatic. Darn, I never have learned the name of these.

Our aunty is on island at her daughter's housesitting this week. I'm getting her mail and paper, and she says she'll be home this weekend. She hasn't been dizzy anymore and is driving everywhere. Amazes me she drives from Central Oahu to windward side, and downtown to docs offices. She tells me she even use to backup their boat into the water, and at home to park it at times and I do believe that she has been a very good driver for many years and yet these days I do get a bit concerned for her, but! she has several kids on-island that visit every week, and take her a places, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                  [...]Gardenias.....oh man, they are wonderful and even grow well in Texas. I grew up with a large one outside our front, livingroom window. Of course it was either cold or hot there and windows open only 3 or 4 days of each year but I sure did bring them indoors and enjoy them. I don't have any now but do have those hedges that have the tiny, white flowers that are very aromatic. Darn, I never have learned the name of these.[...]
                  Mock orange?

Growing up in SoCal we always had gardenia bushes. Sometimes the smell was overwhelming but it was still nice. One flower in a glass of water could diffuse a whole house!!!

Comment

leashlaws: thank you so much for sending me the "virtual gardenias." it just so happens to be my most favorite blossom. the puakenikeni is a close second. i just invested in the native hawaiian gardenia plant. hoping to plant it soon. the blossom is the size of a puakenikeni. picket fences has great stuff. a little on the expensive side though.

karen: yep. ah hah! got the windows done, too. man am i tired today. did a lot of runing around and took mom on a downtown/chinatown tour. she loved it. went to nearby mccully shopping center for chinese food. go figure? anyway, someone recommeded a buffet there. it was so so. but mom did enjoy the almond jello. keep an eye on aunty!

tutusue: "dad" loved gardenias, too. when he passed, everyone place a single flower on his casket. i can never get enough of them. i just don't have luck growing them. hopefully, the native plants i mentioned above will bless me with some blossoms?
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    order shall return."

Comment

Sue, that name does not sound at all familiar, but I dunno. It's a plant that is commonly used as hedges and makes a darn good fence. I'll ask some neighbors and maybe find out the name of it.

Kani, I got maybe 100 jalousie pieces cleaned today. I then decided I have a life and said 'nuff! I think this house has too many windows, when cleaning, but on a hot day I'm so glad for the flow-through.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                        Kani, I got maybe 100 jalousie pieces cleaned today. I then decided I have a life and said 'nuff! I think this house has too many windows, when cleaning, but on a hot day I'm so glad for the flow-through.
                        we had to replace the jalousies because lots of them were frozen shut. mom and dad didn't keep up with them so switched them out to the awning type. ooh. the neighbor lady has a ton of them! hope she doesn't ask me to clean those! hubby should do it instead of spending his hours on the golf course?!
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

Kani gal, ahhh, you got smart windows! LOL dangme, not yet. Money money....windows and we have a ton....I am seeing dollar signs. Well, I'm very glad for you that y'all got those changed out. Jalousies and living without AC is like having rooms full of shelving and they have to be dusted regularly, except with humidity and all that the dust sticks to the........oh sorry, must be giving ya a headache with all of this rambling.

I think I will seek out breakfast, err lunch. That little pouch of oatmeal bites and tea just didn't do it.

One more day and Aunty will be home. I am glad because we watch out for each other and our houses. I actually feel better when I leave the house and know she's across the street and watching the place.

How's your Mom and your precious friend across from you?

Comment

karen: windows do cost a fortune! but, we opted for the awning type instead of keeping with the jalousies because like you, we had thousands (exagerated).

talked to mom's hospice nurse today about our little neighbor across the street and my eyes filled with tears recounting the story. she was speechless when i told her about the husband being on the golf cours. when she was leaving, their garage door was open and i could see that their car was there. so, that means that at least the husband is with her for now.

as far as your aunty: it's always important to get to know your neighbors. our immediate neighbors have all lived here for decades. everybody's waiting for the mangoes to ripen. lol. we have been sharing them for just as long.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            order shall return."

Comment

just found out that the friend i mentioned on 4/14 that was moving from palative care to hospice care is more than likely going to be admitted today. he's gotten way worse.

while this situation doesn't have to do with the original post of, "caring for your parents", it's also important to take the time for friends and neighbors.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

My parents passed away quite awhile ago. Its good to plan for medical insurance for your parent's later years because not everyone leaves this earth without medical help.

Comment

Working...
                                X