Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"

Just wondering if anyone picked up the latest iteration of Apple's desktop OS. Please share your impressions, cheers and jeers here.

Here is the NYT's take on it.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Re: Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"

Not me! I'll stay with Calico or Cheshire or whatever cat is currently installed (10.4.10)! And I'll probably stay with it 'til Leopard is superceded. Then I'll upgrade to Leopard! I'm always the very last to make the transition. Heck, in addition to OS X, I still use OS 9!

Stop laughing!

Comment

I just set it up and been running for about 20 minutes now.

I cloned my old system to a ext hd, and did a fresh clean install. installed with no problems. now i'm starting to install all my apps, etc...

i really like to new fit and finish. the overall feel is great. now it's time to dive into the actual apps and use. from what i've seen on the videos, etc there are lots of great improvements to look forward to!

i'm sure i'll be up all night playing!!
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
        Just wondering if anyone picked up the latest iteration of Apple's desktop OS.
        Not me, not in a while too. For anyone who owns a G4 Mac, many models will be shut out from Leopard's upgrade path. The official requirement is something like a G4 with an 880mhz or higher clock speed. There are many G4 laptops, G4 towers, cubes and iMacs that will not run Leopard.

These computers work fine with OSX 10.4 or even 10.3.9 which I use.

10.5 does not support any Mac running a G3 processor which includes all the pre-G4 iMacs as well as all of the G3 iBooks.

If you have a G5 Power Mac and any Intel Mac, then Leopard 10.5 is for you.

For the few of us who need to use Mac OS 9 applications, 10.5 and all Intel Macs do not support "classic mode" which allows OSX to run most OS9 apps. For this purpose it is good to stick with 10.4 or lower or even hold on to older hardware that can still dual boot into Mac OSX or Mac OS9x.

I do plan to get an Intel Macintosh perhaps in 2008. I am always willing to let the early adopters use the newest version of OSX and have them tell us about any bugs that they may encounter. Apple is real good about continually upgrading the system with decimal point updates... so by the time I buy a new Intel Mac they will hopefully be like on Mac OSX 10.5.8 and by that time all the major bugs will be worked out.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel just answered my question I was about to post. I was down at the Salvation Army here in Hilo and picked up another Mac laptop. This is an older Powerbook G3 running OS9. I bought it for $10 and think it's a good deal especially since it boots up and all and the display is bright as well.

So the Powerbook G3 probably won't run OS-X Leopard, I wanted to buy another OS-9 OS for this laptop as it didn't come with any backup disks.

Is the older OS-9 still available for purchase or can the older OS-X run on this older machine?
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 26, 2007, 10:44 PM.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

$10 bucks for a Powerbook G3 is a damn good price no matter what OS is running... and yours boots too... great find!

That said the first few generations of G3 Powerbook can run Mac OSX up to version 10.4.x depending on what model you have. You can find this out by going to EveryMac.com. The site has technical information on every Macintosh ever produced.

Here is the link for the G3 series of Powerbooks:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...erbook-g3.html

All of the G3 Powerbooks can boot into Mac OS9. They're supposed to be dual booting though I don't know for sure as I never owned one. But if I do see one for less than $50 floating around, I'd sure buy it as much as you got your bargain book for $10.

Mac OS9 is not commercially available through Apple anymore. There may be a few vendors online that might have surplus copies of OS9.... one that may have it is Purplus Software. Also the Low End Mac Swap email list is a good place to find all kinds of second hand Mac stuff.
            Last edited by mel; October 26, 2007, 11:02 PM. Reason: added more info
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I have 5 Macs in my house, all running 10.4.

I am bummed, though.

Not one of them will run 10.5. Not one.

I won't be buying new hardware too soon either. These work just fine.

Oh well.
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I'm running Leopard now, on my MacBook. I just installed it in situ on my live system, with no prep work at all, and despite my foolishness all seems to have gone well.

Of course it's shiny and pretty and I love the little UI touches. Not sure if CoverFlow works for me in the Finder but, hey, some folks love it. Can't play with Time Machine, really, until I get a good external FireWire drive. I'm not really exploring Leopard per se... just stumbling into changes naturally. I like it, but wouldn't have gone out last night to buy it on Day One if it weren't for the chance to give away some T-shirts.

Here are my photos from the Ala Moana event, and you can even watch my archived live video stream of the festivities.

Comment

Thanks Mel for the links. I went to the first one you posted and found out this is the one I have.

So I find this place called Fastmac.com and they sell the OS-9 for $29.95 complete CD w/COA.

They also have a wireless 802.11b card for $109.95. Man that card is expensive. Is there a cheaper way to access a wifi spot? I'm assuming a standard PCM-CIA adapter should work as long as there are drivers for the Mac for it.
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 14, 2008, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Not sure, but Leopard has already been hacked.
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Link already dead due to the Digg effect...

Here's something that may interest users of older Mac systems. Leopard's minimum requirements are an 866Mhz G4 processor and 512MB of RAM. And, some folks have decided to give it a shot on their older machines.

Leopard on an 8 year old G4 Power Mac -- can it be done?
                      Power Mac G4 (1GHz with 500MB of RAM and AGP Graphics)

How Fast is Apple OS X Leopard On Old Macs?
                      Installed on a Powerbook G4 (1Ghz with 768MB of RAM).

But hey, if what you got works, stick with it. The usable life of Macs, IMHO, far exceeds what I'd expect in practical terms on the PC side. Flaunt it!

Comment

Well, pzarquon it would seem to me that the prudent thing older Mac owners should do is just stick with what they have. The guy who installed it on the G4 tower had a computer older than mine, but he did say he had an add-on card that pushed his G4 to 1ghz clock speed. So I guess that is nice for Leopard if you have that card.... though not perfect since he reported issues with the DVD drive and some video playback.

The other guy with the Powerbook shouldn't have bothered, but then his Powerbook has been relegated to secondary status, so he has nothing to lose by just playing with unsupported installations. As that report indicated, one should also wait to see if and when more comprehensive tests are published for older Macs.

And yes, the hallmark of Macintosh ownership is that these computers are mostly built to last. If you know what their limitations are and don't try to push them beyond their limits, then surely they can be productive to the tasks for what they were intended for. I know a few people who use Mac OS9 as their primary system regularly on hardware way older than 5 years.

Craig, as for the Airport card you saw for the Powerbook, yes it is incredibly expensive... and that is because it is an Apple issue card. The cost of these spiked a few weeks after they went out of production. I think back in 2001 they sold for $79 each. They are scarce, hence the higher prices.

I have read that some third party wireless cards not made by Apple may work on older Powerbooks. I can't remember what they are, though I would surely be interested in trying one myself on my even older Powerbook 3400 running Mac OS 8.6.

You might want to keep in mind that the internet web browsing experience with Mac OS9 is not very satisfying these days with many enhanced websites that feature flash, cascading stylesheets, secure sockets and RSS. The Mac OS9 and earlier era browsers mostly supported basic HTML page rendering. No significant development in Mac OS9 browsers have occurred since around 2003.

You may want to look into installing a version of Mac OSX if you have enough RAM to handle it. 256 MB recommended, but I say 512 or more highly preferred for OSX, which of course leaves your Mac behind since it only has a 384 MB ceiling.

Still a good machine. You can plug it directly to your ethernet network for internet access and can use applications such as Eudora for email, WannaBe for fast but boring text only web browsing, Nifty Telnet for logging into Unix servers and even Telefinder for logging into the last Telefinder BBS on earth that I know of, which is Headgap.com over in Tennessee. If you need some older Mac OS 9 apps I can tell you where to get some.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Airport card much cheaper on eBay...

802.11b Originally manufactured by Orinoco. Lots of stuff just works in the PC Card slot, too. Got one lying around? Just stick it in and see if it works.
                          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Maybe I should just consider selling this G3. I still have the G4 iMac that's working just fine. I just found this site that sells a Mac G3 compatible wifi card but it says even for my model it will run only with OS-X.

That said will this G3 run OS-X? I'd rather upgrade to OS-X rather than keeping the OS-9 operating system. This G3 is running a 333-MHz processor but is limited to the onboard 128Mb RAM.

Is this G3 worth the upgrade (I want to use it to browse the internet as I can't see it being used for very much else). But I don't want to plunk any more money into it if it can't run OS-X hence run this wifi card.
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 27, 2007, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Here is a Mac wireless PC card that can run with OS9:

http://www.macwireless.com/html/prod.../11bPCCard.php

This powerful 200mW wireless card for Macintosh PowerBooks (see the list below) outperforms AirPort cards in output power and operating range. At 11 Mbps, you will have all the bandwidth you need for web surfing and file sharing - roughly 7 times the bandwidth of DSL. Supports Mac OS 7.5.5 up to 9.2.2. Also available at regular power - 32 mW.
                              They have 2 versions of this card, one selling for $99.98 and the other selling for $79.98. Still expensive given the age and capability of the computer.

I was just reviewing the stats again on your Powerbook at EveryMac.com, and noticed the thing has 2 USB 1.1 ports. They have a USB wireless stick for sale at $149 there... again extremely expensive but they say it works with OS9.

At this point I would try any PC USB wireless stick you may already have and see if it works. You may probably need to find some kind of USB wireless driver/extension for OS9 though.

As far as OSX goes, I would recommend against installing it on your Powerbook because you only have 128MB ram. I think it will run but probably as slow as molasses. Though you may have better luck with an older version of OSX, like 10.2.8.... but that one is slower out of the box than 10.3 on any Mac.

Finally if you think about selling this Mac, I'd be interested. I'll be on the Big Island during the Thanksgiving holiday using up my $19 airline tickets.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X