Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: laptop recommendation?

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-70 - Bronze/Chrome Model: dv7-1135nr
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218010538308
    Here's a funny story...
    I went to Best Buy to investigate this laptop (and others). It was the same price as online with no shipping or waiting, so I bought it. That's not the funny part!

When I got it home, I tried to open it but it felt locked. I looked for a button and then read through the paperwork it came with, researched online and finally called HP IT help. Rajiv convinced me that there was no button and to just lift the screen harder.
    Oh boy!

I've now set up the 3 users... Me(admin), Wife, and guest.
    Won't take it online till Feb when I get Mobi "Hele" mobile broadband.
    Yippee!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Haha, I have the hp pavillion laptop too, and I was also afraid to break it the 1st time I tried to open it the hinges loosen up in time. I love my laptop, and altho I dont necessarily tote it with me often, I have had no problems shoving in a backpack and bringing it with me sometimes. I will recommend that you do all the warranty stuff - mine broke 7 months or so after I got it due to a manufacturing defect in the memory. SuperGeeks took 3 weeks to get it finished..., but at least it was free...
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        I've now set up the 3 users... Me(admin), Wife, and guest.
        If you want to keep it safe from viruses and stuff, you might want to create another non-admin account for yourself. That way if you get something while browsing the web, it won't have the admin privileges it needs to do a serious infection on your machine. It's a royal pain, but it's secure.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          If you want to keep it safe from viruses and stuff, you might want to create another non-admin account for yourself...
          I really like that idea. So I'd only surf from the second account.
          Great suggestion! Mahalos.

Comment

Did it!
            So now there's an actual 'Menehune Man' user account on my new 'puter.
            HaHa! "Beat that!"

Comment

The following holds true for any Windows based computer (be it a desktop, laptop or netbook) that is used by more than one person:

By any chance are those accounts are password protected? The last thing you want is someone else to use the admin account without your knowledge or consent.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                If you want to keep it safe from viruses and stuff, you might want to create another non-admin account for yourself. That way if you get something while browsing the web, it won't have the admin privileges it needs to do a serious infection on your machine. It's a royal pain, but it's secure.
                A Non-Geek here. Are you saying to set up a user account that does not have admin privileges, and by using that for web surfing it will prevent viruses? Can viruses only attack via an admin account?

Should I have non-admin accounts on all my computers? Would I, for example, then connect to HT using the non-admin account? Ditto for accessing my email accounts.

More info please, for this non-geek. I can use all the computer hints that I can get. Thanks!
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Using an non-admin account will not prevent your computer from being infected with viruses. That's the job of the anti-virus software and with that you need to be aware that piece of software is working and up to date.

What running in the non-admin mode will prevent is installing software that is trying to be done without your knowledge. A good example of this is you are trying to access a site that use Adobe Flash and you don't have it on your computer. If the web site you are using can not start Adobe Flash it will attempt to install for you. This will not happen if you using a non-admin account. Of course to fix this situation is to log on to the admin account and load the Adobe Flash yourself.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Helen. Seems my computer(s) already ask me if I want to have new things installed ... I think it is a Windows feature. I have to pre-approve changes to my computer like program downloads.

Is this the sort of thing you are talking about?
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      Are you saying to set up a user account that does not have admin privileges, and by using that for web surfing it will prevent viruses? Can viruses only attack via an admin account?
                      Rule #6 from 10 Immutable Laws of Security. "A computer is only as secure as the administrator is trustworthy". You can add to that, a computer is only as secure as the admin is wise. The bottom line is that the administrator has full power over the computer. S/he has the power to make any changes to the operating system they wish. If the administrator runs a program that does something nasty, what's to stop it? After all, it's being run by the Admin.

However, if you are running as a non-admin, you are limiting your powers. And limiting the range of actions a rogue program can do. A non-admin is not allowed to change system files. So malware that infects by changing system files will find it's access is denied. Since most people operate their computers with Admin privileges, most malware assumes you have that. It's not impossible to get around, but so few follow that basic idea that it will probably block the majority of the malware out there. Or at least the ones that will do a serious number on your computer.

While anti-virus software is a good idea, note that it's always a response to things that are happing. In order for there to be a vaccine, someone has to get sick. That's small comfort if that first one is you.

Comment

Oh my!
                        Reading these posts makes me feel as I'm on an adventure. Or...
                        "Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          So the questions begs? What do you think is the best laptop for gaming for under $1,000? Obviously $1,500 to $2,000 is getting too expensive for my boy to fathom.
                          That depends on what kind of games you want to play in a $1000 laptop.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            That depends on what kind of games you want to play in a $1000 laptop.
                            HAMURABI: I BEG TO REPORT TO YOU,
                            IN YEAR 1, 9 PEOPLE STARVED, 13 CAME TO THE CITY
                            POPULATION IS NOW 106
                            THE CITY NOW OWNS 1000 ACRES.
                            YOU HARVESTED 3 BUSHELS PER ACRE.
                            RATS ATE 200 BUSHELS.
                            YOU NOW HAVE 2800 BUSHELS IN STORE.
                            LAND IS TRADING AT 24 BUSHELS PER ACRE.
                            HOW MANY ACRES DO YOU WISH TO BUY?

Comment

Working...
                            X