Cats and Centipede Bites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats and Centipede Bites

I found two baby centipedes in my bathroom, over the past few days. I'm very scared that there's a nest somewhere in the apartment.

As I understand it, cats who are bitten by centipedes go into cardiac arrest because they can't handle the venom circulating in their blood.

I would LOVE to hear stories about cats being bitten by centipedes. Please tell me if your kitty died right away, I can take it. I need to know what to expect if my cats are bitten.

Also, what have people's experiences been with getting rid of centipedes through exterminators? did it work?

Thanks!!

Re: Cats and Centipede Bites

I don't have any stories for you, Makiki, but I wonder how easy it would be to diagnose a centipede bite unless you find the bug still attached to the cat. My bite above the knee was obvious but I'm not a furry creature! Have you contacted your vet for some first hand medical advice? How about an exterminator and/or the UH entomology dept. for best methods of extermination? Maybe an HTer can recommend a good exterminator or 2.

Comment

Thanks tutsue. I've consulted a lot of different people, including vets and exterminators, and they're all basically saying "i'm not sure". Can you tell me about when you were bitten? Personal accounts are going to better prepare me for what to expect when dealing with them.

Oh, and I looked at the zoology faculty at uh's webpage, but none of them specialized in entomology, so i wasn't sure who to ask.

Comment

Are you sure they are "baby centipedes"? There are a lot of critters that look like small centipedes but aren't. I have a history of close encounters with centeipedes (6" long) and scorpions, but fortunately have never been stung. However, my colleague Bill was stung by a centipede on the leg while in bed. It was a painful sting but he was no worse for wear. I think that a cat would be more wary of potentially harmfull bugs, insects, and animals than humans. I think it is an instinct thing.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          Are you sure they are "baby centipedes"?
          I was thinking the same thing. Many people mistake millipedes for baby centipedes. When I was growing up in the "boonies" of Aiea, we had lots of centipedes and scorpions, but fortunately, I never got stung. Since living in the city, I don't think I've ever seen a centipede here. People I know who have been stung by centipede say it is just about the most painful thing they've ever experienced.

I don't know about cats, but needless to say, I'd try to keep your cat far away from centipedes.

Comment

Originally posted by makiki View Post
            Oh, and I looked at the zoology faculty at uh's webpage, but none of them specialized in entomology, so i wasn't sure who to ask.
            http://www.hawaii.edu/zoology/faculty/womersley.htm
            This guy's my current Zoology professor. He may not specialize in entomology but he's still quite knowledgable on all things living. Call him, don't email, he hates computers.
            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
              http://www.hawaii.edu/zoology/faculty/womersley.htm
              This guy's my current Zoology professor. He may not specialize in entomology but he's still quite knowledgable on all things living. Call him, don't email, he hates computers.
              thank you!!!

Comment

If you break down the word "centi pede" it means 100 feet. If you count the amount of legs on a centipede, it has only 48. But don't get bitten by one, it is worse than a bee sting.

If you look at the head of the centipede, by the front it looks ling pinchers. If you take one of those "pinchers" off, it cannot bite you.

Comment

Working...
                X