The Incredible Hulk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Incredible Hulk

My wife and I snuck out to see this last night. We liked it. A solid summer popcorn flick, and another good entry in what's obviously going to be a successful movie franchise for Marvel. No, it wasn't as good as "Iron Man," it was almost sunk by an excess of CGI, but it had a good mix of character and action. Oh, and Liv Tyler wasn't awful (it must be in her contract to be wet in at least 75 percent of her scenes).

I thought the "final battle" wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the fight earlier in the film (or maybe the "big fight at night in New York" was just overdone by "Cloverfield"). And there was a big plot hole that bugged me (relating to Dr. Sterns). But definitely worth a matinee, and probably a good pick for a fun night out.
    Last edited by pzarquon; June 16, 2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      And there was a big plot hole that bugged me (relating to Dr. Sterns).
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leader_%28comics%29

Comment

I think he means how did Banner and Sterns iniitially hook up via the Internet. Did Sterns publish a web site that Banner found? I doubt it that Banner created a Craigslist entry and said he was sufferring from gamma ray expourse and needed help from an expert.

Comment

Ah.

I didn't know who Dr. Sterns (aka The Leader) was, so I looked it up after watching the movie.

...and while I was looking up stuff from that movie...

I read that the Brazilian slums in the beginning of the movie were real, not a CGI effect. I went to Google Maps, zoomed in on Rio de Janeiro, flew around for a bit, and there are slums like that ALL OVER Rio. Check this out. Then fly NE a few thousand feet and check out the gigantic mansions in the hillside.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            I doubt it that Banner created a Craigslist entry and said he was sufferring from gamma ray expourse and needed help from an expert.
            are you sure? i think such entries are very commonplace on craigslist, although they're not in the Help Wanted section; they're more often posted in the Men Seeking Men section!!!
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

For what it's worth, here's my complaint about Dr. Stearns, and it has nothing to do with the history of his character or connection to Bruce Banner... it's a simple plot point from the movie that would annoy anyone.

Bruce Banner and Betty Ross are on the run, working hard to stay off the grid. As The General himself notes, Bruce was able to live underground for years, he's good at it. But Bruce Banner wants to send The Data to Dr. Sterns ahead of time, so he uses a random computer in a random place to fire it off. But, the hyper-sophisticated algorithms the government uses to monitor all traffic on the internet flags the transmission and brings it to the government's attention.

All this is well and good.

So the government knows that Bruce Banner is on his way to meet Dr. Sterns. And they are so intent on catching Bruce Banner, they implement roadblocks leading into New York City, inconveniencing thousands of people to find one guy... who just grabs a boat and floats across to Manhattan.

Next thing you know, Bruce Banner and Betty Ross get to the university and run into Dr. Sterns on the front steps. They make their way to his lab, and have all the time in the world to talk and start their little experiment. How is it that it is only at this point that The General and friends mobilize and head over to Dr. Sterns' lab?

Why weren't there snipers crawling all over Dr. Sterns' campus and lab the minute his name was "flagged" by the government? Especially since, earlier in the movie, the government set up a pretty damned spectacular campus ambush that somehow managed to surprise Bruce with an army's worth of heavy artillery?

My primary problem with this is that there's no reason the plot had to be set up that way. It's like they went out of their way to be ridiculous. If Dr. Sterns only popped up on the government's radar when he, say, flipped the switch on his gamma whatchamacalit, the timing of everything else would make sense.

In fact, it was Dr. Sterns' character that seemed out of place in the movie, backstory notwithstanding. I was sure it was Liv Tyler that was going to stick out like a sore thumb, but like I said, she managed to... not annoy.

Comment

To followup on pzarquon's point:

How did Bruce and Betty managed to get from Virginia to New York on $40, without using credit cards

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  My wife and I snuck out to see this last night. We liked it. A solid summer popcorn flick, and another good entry in what's obviously going to be a successful movie franchise for Marvel. No, it wasn't as good as "Iron Man," it was almost sunk by an excess of CGI, but it had a good mix of character and action. Oh, and Liv Tyler wasn't awful (it must be in her contract to be wet in at least 75 percent of her scenes).

This is my concern from the trailers. I'm seeing it on tuesday. I may be going into it a little prejudiced because I did not like the over the top stuff you mention. Just from that, I prefered the Ang Lee hulk when hulk smashes the army tanks...the details there were very nicely done, especially the way Hulk handles the gun barrels.

Comment

Just saw it today.

It was okay. There were elements in this one that was better than the first...mainly the rendering of hulk. At least he wasn't lime green. But Ang Lee gave the hulk movement better "touches", like the way his hulk cradled the gun barrel before whacking the tank. It made the movements more "real". The IH hulk's movements were all action.

I kinda left the theater wondering where they're gonna go with the hulk. Seems like he can only fight equally tough monsters, so I think the story line has run it's course. The story line will always be the same,,,,Banner is his normal self, then situations occur that get him riled and turns him into hulk.

Comment

If the ending was a clue...Iron Man is starting "Avengers Initiative" (see the last secret scene at the end of iron Man) with General Ross. In the classic comic Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor, Antman and the Wasp were the original Avengers. This movie is coming out the summer of 2011.

I also got the feeling that Banner is learning to change into the Hulk at will....This would be awesome.
                      Last edited by alohabear; June 19, 2008, 11:09 AM.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

I used to own that issue.......long long ago.

I missed the secret ending to Ironman...WHAT HAPPENED?

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                        If the ending was a clue...Iron Man is starting "Avengers Initiative" (see the last secret scene at the end of iron Man) with General Ross. In the classic comic Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor, Antman and the Wasp were the original Avengers. This movie is coming out the summer of 2011.

I also got the feeling that Banner is learning to change into the Hulk at will....This would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by miltk View Post
                          I missed the secret ending to Ironman...WHAT HAPPENED?
                          Check out the thread titled Iron Man Movie in this sub forum.

Comment

One of the scenes I liked in this movie was the time Banner was in Brazil working in the bottling company. A group of men are harassing a woman at the company and Banner tries to intervene, he tries to warn them off but his Portuguese is not too good and he ends up saying:

Don't make me hungry, you wouldn't like when I'm hungry.

Comment

The Incredible Hulk (2008)
                              Edward Norton, Liv Tyler, William Hurt, Tim Roth, Tim Blake Nelson. Written by Zak Penn; directed by Louis Leterrier.

I didn’t think I’d care much for Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, now that I’ve gotten used to Mark Ruffalo, but it only took a few minutes for me to see the appeal of this casting. He reminds me so much of Bill Bixby in the television version that I felt comfortable and nostalgic with Norton in the role. I love the brainy quiet Norton brings, and he communicates the always-looking-over-his-shoulder vibe well.

There’s a little bit of playing around with Hulk’s origins, if I remember things correctly, but they’re minor enough that I don’t really care. I don’t remember Hulk having any love interests, so I went in with a blank canvas for Liv Tyler as Betty Ross, whose smart, loyal, kind of girlish silliness I took very quickly to. There is a scene, when Ross and Banner connect after a long time apart that pretty much sold me on the rest of the film just because it felt so great. I found myself wistful and nostalgic for reunions I never had, happy that these two characters were going to go through the next terrible hour together.

It’s this relationship that makes the tension in The Incredible Hulk bearable. Banner’s situation is so unspeakably terrible that it’s hard to imagine him finding any peace at all, ever again. Yet Ross’s unflinching loyalty makes it seem possible, even knowing the love story is likely doomed to failure.

While I’m neither a fan of extended superhero fight sequences nor urban chase scenes, both are interesting enough in this movie to keep me engaged, especially a rooftop-and-alley run through the slums of a Brazilian city that’s beautiful to look at. There’s a lot of running in Hulk movies.

The villain is a creature named Abomination, the alter-ego of a character played by Tim Roth. I didn’t find either incarnation especially intriguing, even though I generally love Roth. His enabler, a general played by William Hurt, is so two-dimensional he’s practically a line segment on the screen. If not for Banner’s own personal conflicts, this movie would have been dreadful. Thankfully, Norton and Tyler make it pretty dang good.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
                              74/100 (Criticker rating)
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                                To followup on pzarquon's point:

How did Bruce and Betty managed to get from Virginia to New York on $40, without using credit cards
                                They sold or hocked that pendant and necklace.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X