camera on TheBus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camera on TheBus

On my way home, I hopped onto a route 52 bus (circle island aka tourist bus) and I noticed there were 2 cameras onboard: one was at the front of the bus pointing towards the middle, and another above the handicap area on the drivers side, pointing towards the rear. I wasn't able to take a picture of them because my bus ride on that bus was short, but does anyone know what they're for?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: camera on TheBus

Was there a screen on the bus drivers console?

From what you describe both cameras seem to cover spots where the driver can't see the passengers. To do that either required a mirror for the first camera or having the driver turn around to face the back of the bus once in a while which seems to be the coverage of the second camera.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post

From what you describe both cameras seem to cover spots where the driver can't see the passengers. To do that either required a mirror for the first camera or having the driver turn around to face the back of the bus once in a while which seems to be the coverage of the second camera.
      could it be......................security for the passengers????
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

More and more transport companies are adding surveillance cameras. The recorders are often in a compartment behind the driver or under seats near the front. It's a security measure, meant to have a record of any "disruption" to the operation of the bus.

Comment

"Bus Confessions", a new HBO series coming this fall. Next time say/do something racey.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Works for me. I don't notice it on my daily bus commute (82 Express from HI Kai). I'll take a look. I think I see it when i get on the big eBus or those headed toward Waikiki. I hop one downtown to get to big stop at Punchbowl and walk to our van from there.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
              Next time say/do something racey.
              Who knows? Maybe Homeland Security will just go after him next time, for simply taking a picture of them taking a picture of him.
              Originally posted by adrian View Post
              I wasn't able to take a picture of them

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                I couldn't see when I was boarding the bus, nor when I was riding it. I'll probably catch another 52 to get more info (and possibly pics).

Comment

Security Cameras are used here in California also....
                  Does THE BUS have a WARNING Posted by the enterance doors THAT You May Be Recorded/Cameras Present when Boarding?

Yes its supposedly a security backup for the bus company to record anything that happens. I dunno if there is someone watching You 24/7 but who knows...
                  At least when I sneak a snack while sitting I try stay out of view of the cams.
                  The cams here are usually pointed at the doors front and back.

Comment

It's about time they added security cameras to the buses! After my nephew got mugged on The Bus in December, I've read of many other assaults on passengers. I have been reluctant to let my 15 yr. old daughter ride on The Bus ever since my nephew's incident. Hopefully this will deter the young punks from doing "hit and runs".
                    Last edited by alohacandy; July 26, 2007, 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                      Security Cameras are used here in California also....
                      Does THE BUS have a WARNING Posted by the enterance doors THAT You May Be Recorded/Cameras Present when Boarding?

Yes its supposedly a security backup for the bus company to record anything that happens. I dunno if there is someone watching You 24/7 but who knows...
                      At least when I sneak a snack while sitting I try stay out of view of the cams.
                      The cams here are usually pointed at the doors front and back.
                      Don't believe there is someone actually watching those cameras at that moment. Rather, I think they record to storage devices so should something happen, there are "tapes" to review and prosecute with. Overall, it helps because it makes all riders aware of their actions on the bus.
                      Last edited by joshuatree; July 27, 2007, 06:32 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Comment

Even if it is Flash memory as opposed to tapes, that is a lot of material to store and look thru considering you factor in the number of buses in the fleet which is around 500 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                          I didn't see anything unusual on the bus other than the cameras. Then again, since I've taken the bus for a few years, I just get on, flash my bus pass, sit down, and usually sleep.

Comment

The advertiser is reporting on this.

And it didn't look like how it is in the picture when I first saw it. The camera was housed in a protective (I think triangular) casing with the camera pointing out of the glass.

Comment

My former business partner has the contract to install those cameras on all county buses statewide. Interesting as it encompasses all islands.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X