Where Did All The Nice People Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

She was doing 80 in a 45. Then she started playing footsie over the ticket on the side of a busy highway. People get hit and killed on the sides of highways. It's a dangerous situation. Her games end up causing the cop to bring her outside of her vehicle. Now that she'd played her game, she wanted to capitulate and go on her way. She should have thought of that before she forced the situation further. Now they're outside of the vehicle and he is responsible for her safety and his saftey. You can't say he knew she was not intoxicated. Her behavior suggested something was out of order. Maybe he planned to give her a breathalizer. If she had been drunk and then drove off and killed someone else, he would also be responsible for that outcome, at that point. I've been called to hospital ER's in the middle of the night to do crisis mental health evals. I've seen people who for all intents and purposes appeared mostly sober. Blood testing revealed alcohol levels 3 times over the legal limit. Persons who are addicted can have amazing tolerance and still walk around and talk when a casual drinker would be tossing cookies or passed out with the same amount of alcohol in their system. She might have bolted out and been hit by a passing car and killed. Then her family would have sued the police force. She had multiple opportunities to surrender and it was her responsibility to surrender. Could he have restrained her physically. I imagine so. I also imagine the police force he works for has instituted a policy about how to manage people who resist. I imagine she was the recipient of a policy decision made long before that day. She could have been high on meth for all he knew. It's disturbing to see an elderly woman stunned to the ground, but it was entirely within her control from start to finish. She elected to be tazed and was tazed as a result. I'd hate to be a cop.

Comment

Thanks for your input, Jim. I saw the video on The Today Show yesterday. Last night I saw edited versions of the video on the news, 2 separate stations...can't remember which ones. The video was edited in favor of the grandmother. It contained nothing leading up to her getting out of her car. Possibly the edits had to do with time constraints. Still, it showed the cop in a really bad light when, in fact, the grandmother started out acting like a royal a$$. By the end of The Today Show piece I was thinking the belligerent, testy grandma deserved what she got.

Comment

The highway trouper did what he had to do. Sad to say in this day and age, law enforcement officers cannot automatically assume that a belligerent acting senior citizen is harmless. Just a couple days after this story about the 72 year old getting tasered appeared on the Today show, a grisly shooting involving this 88 year old man occurred at the Holocaust Museum, taking the life of a security guard.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_w...um_guard_.html
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm still here! Have a nice day!!

Comment

Yay. I love it when our state is portrayed in such an awesome light. I'm just shocked no one in hair curlers and a bathrobe with a horrific accent was interviewed to give it that extra Texas feel. Oh, but there wasn't a tornado. Never mind.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Did any of the banned posters come back with another username? In those angry boards, there are posters with numerous usernames. You can tell by their writing styles and using the same insults with a slight variation. Then, it gets funny when they try to throw readers off the track by flaming themselves using their different usernames. Those boards don't last too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Did any of the banned posters come back with another username? In those angry boards, there are posters with numerous usernames. You can tell by their writing styles and using the same insults with a slight variation. Then, it gets funny when they try to throw readers off the track by flaming themselves using their different usernames. Those boards don't last too long.
                if i am not mistaken, someone did try to come back under a different name but was quickly flushed out.

you're right about writing styles shining through. one banned HTer became a regular on the star-bulletin's comments boards under an unfamiliar name and eric spotted him right away. not too many folk railing against plantation asians, i suppose.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post

I didn't think Mr Admin Ryan banned anybody ?

When I followed conversations instead of threads,,,,, my fault.

. Many members gently pushed me back on line
                  Some did not and I chose to avoid them.

I have a lot of fun here and pick up info from my adopted home.

Barry

Comment

I used to belong to a discussion board using a server at UH. It was about Hawaiian Independence and had many non-Hawaiians as members. One of our members was a man who professed to want to "be educated" about the issues. So, many tried to assist him. Then, he starting posting as another identity, arguing with everything. Most of us were able to figure out who it was and pretty much nailed him to the wall. The bogus identity ended up going away. and the real person is now very public in his distaste for the issues he purported to support all those years ago. He is also pretty much shunned in the Hawaiian community, but a eye is always kept on him. Never let your enemies think you're sleeping

You are very correct - writing styles really stick out here, like an online profile. They are not hard to spot. Thankfully, HT moderators are really on the ball and keep the few who have been banned from coming back. I was one of the ones who had a very, very unpleasant experience with one of the "ban-ees" and was very happy to see him go. One of his cohorts is still on here and I tend to keep my distance from him.

There are too many other very nice folks on here to worry about those others. I have made some good friends IRL from here and they are valued parts of my life.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      I used to belong to a discussion board using a server at UH. It was about Hawaiian Independence and had many non-Hawaiians as members. One of our members was a man who professed to want to "be educated" about the issues. So, many tried to assist him. Then, he starting posting as another identity, arguing with everything. Most of us were able to figure out who it was and pretty much nailed him to the wall. The bogus identity ended up going away. and the real person is now very public in his distaste for the issues he purported to support all those years ago. He is also pretty much shunned in the Hawaiian community, but a eye is always kept on him. Never let your enemies think you're sleeping

You are very correct - writing styles really stick out here, like an online profile. They are not hard to spot. Thankfully, HT moderators are really on the ball and keep the few who have been banned from coming back. I was one of the ones who had a very, very unpleasant experience with one of the "ban-ees" and was very happy to see him go. One of his cohorts is still on here and I tend to keep my distance from him.

There are too many other very nice folks on here to worry about those others. I have made some good friends IRL from here and they are valued parts of my life.
                      I think I know that person...KC yeah?. If it is him, I've played hockey with the silly puck a time or two as well.

Only someone who has real multiple personality issues or went in to a board with a planned oppositional alter ego from the get go (so that one can be banned and they can relax as themselves later), can pull off a return for any length of time. The latter is really hard to pull off for any length of time since the 'play acted' character has to be fully developed in order to be convincing.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                        you're right about writing styles shining through. one banned HTer became a regular on the star-bulletin's comments boards under an unfamiliar name and eric spotted him right away. not too many folk railing against plantation asians, i suppose.
                        Ah, yes --- he tried a "dual personality" bit here on HT, but was easy to spot (at least, I thought so).
                        Originally posted by Barry View Post
                        I didn't think Mr Admin Ryan banned anybody ?
                        Usually just spammers, but there is a very select group of folks who were banned after given warnings/opportunities to adjust their behavior. It's unfortunate when it gets to that level.

Comment

honestly, i'm ambivalent about this whole "being nice" thing. in a lot of ways, it's a good thing. but a--perhaps unintended--result is that certain ones of the not-nice people are now being sneakily not nice: you go an post an opinion about something; someone else posts an opposing opinion that contains thinly-veiled sneering at you; you call them on it and they plead innocence with the sincerity of a weasel.

i would rather that discourse on HT were such that people truly owned what they said. i don't necessarily agree (as some believe) that making your real identity is a requirement for that. i think if you're a person of true integrity, whether you're on here as "joseph chang" or "peanutlover808," you'll stick by your words in the sense of taking responsibility for what you've said, regardless of whether someone later shows you an error in your reasoning, flat out proves you wrong, or maybe you realize on your own you've made a mistake in judgment.

that, to me, is a million times more valuable than false niceness, and lends all discussions with a level of credibility, veracity, and authenticity. i'll not hide from the accusation that i've name-called in the worst possible way on HT. i've owned it every time i've done it. i'd rather have someone come out and call me a name or make ad hominem attacks versus hide behind disingenuous pleasantries while attempting to aim a rhetorical howitzer at me.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I prefer posting here over other forums just because of the general attitude. It's fun, it's relaxing (for the most part!), and there's always some interesting thread opening. You get a good variation from "How Do You Eat Your Popcorn?" to "Orchids" to a serious discussion about world news.

Just as an example, here are some of the current thread topics on another forum that I post on from time to time:

"Why do so many people in XXXXX like that 'Small Town' Mentality????"
                            "First Impression of Black People"
                            "Why are people in XXXX so rude and pretentious?"
                            "Comments About Neighborhoods"
                            "XXX as a destination city"
                            "If you're down-to-earth, non-yuppie, 30s, and single, THEN where is the best place to live??"

And then they argue back and forth over and over for PAGES about these topics. It's like- what's the point? There are over 50 different threads about XXX city being rude or snotty. And the admins do nothing. I quit posting there because of this. And the people...whoo. Nasty.

HT may have some occasional flare ups, but it's the friendliest forum out there by far.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                              i don't necessarily agree (as some believe) that making your real identity is a requirement
                              I'm in that camp. My "handle" here (and in other forums) is just meant as a bit of projection of who I am. I'm easy to find IRL, many people here know and use my given name, and I'm fine with that. I don't consider myself as "hiding" behind a name on a forum - just as I have no proof that people who claim to be using their given names as forum names are telling the truth. Nor does that matter to me a whit.
                              Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                              it's the friendliest forum out there by far.
                              It's one of the few that does a decent job of policing itself, to a degree. And with any forum or thread that bothers someone - no one is being forced to read, post, or in any way participate. Close the box and look away.

Comment

I've pretty much always used Peshkwe as my online nym.

At first it was a promise to my Dad to protect the kids from any possible freaks out there, he was chief of probation for the eastern side of Michigan and there were a couple three or so that carried a grudge. There were kidnapping attempts on my sister and I when we were little kids and a guy who's nickname was 'Time Bomb Charlie' who showed up on the doorstep just to say "Hi" (freaked my mom right out)...so he was a bit protective of his grandkids and really didn't trust this newfangled internet thingy.

That kinda got tossed to the wind when Pali's first CD came out and we were saying I did the art...and my real name was on the CD as artist. So it's more habit now than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X