Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" - HT Edition

Cinnabuns(The legal kind)
    Brownies(The not so legal kind) It's better to feel good than to taste good.

Comment

The absolute best thing I've ever eaten was Lamb Shanks braised in Red Wine and a Rissotto made with Porcini mushrooms. The dinner was served with a very fine Cabernet Sauvignon. 3 friends on a Saturday night.

oh, and I cooked it in my own kitchen.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

OK Scriv', so I "whimped out" and let down my standard, submitting not what I thought was the BEST OF THE BEST, bust some of the best. But really, each and every dish I submitted here at the very moment I consumed them? At that VERY MOMENT in my world, on my palate, and in my mind really was "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". Honestly!

Actually, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" Food Network program has a number of different episodes now, with each "Best Thing I Ever Ate" based on a particular topic. There are episodes titled "Totally Fried", "Bar-B-Que", "With Bacon", "Sugar Rush", "Between Bread", "Pizza" and a few more.

So say we had a topic on this thread titled "In a Bowl", and I had to choose between the Pig's Feet Soup from Violet's Grill and the Oxtail Soup from The Alley or Pho Bistro 2, I'm going with the Pig's Feet Soup from Violet's Grill. As stated in my blog write-up, "This is by far the BEST Pig’s Feet Soup I’ve ever had. Possibly the best bowl of soup in general I’ve ever had."

That in mind, since we're tightening the rules here, let's create a list of "Best Thing I Ever Ate" (in Hawaii) topics to fall under so it doesn't go "all over the place".

Playing off The Food Network show's topics, here's a starter list...

The Best Thing I Ever Ate - HT Edition TOPICS:
        • "Oodles of Noodles" (includes pasta too)
        • "Aloha in a Bowl" (Not sure whether Ramen should fall either here or under "oodles of noodles"; any suggestions?)
        • "Sandwich Islands" (anything between or on bread)
        • "Hit on the Hibatchi" (anything barbecued, grilled or smoked)
        • "Cow Cow" (get it, "kaukau"; anything made with what else? Excludes dairy foods like cheese)
        • "Hawaiian Hometown" (what you remember from your hometown as being "TBTIEA")
        • "Hawaiian Holiday" (mom's ultimate Thanksgiving Day Ham, grandma's amazing New Year's Mochi...that kine stuff)
        • "Gold Coast" (anything, regardless of its topic, from a restaurant that was more than $50 for the dish or entire meal for 1 person)
        • "Sugarcane Train" (hey, gotta' have some Hawaii plantation flare to it!)

I'm still trying to think of creative names for the topic of CHEESE, BACON, FRIED, FILLED, MADE BY HAND, BREAKFAST, OBSESSION and PIZZA. Also, there's probably a few more topics that are exclusive to Hawaii that we need to think of.

I'll certainly submit that AMAZING and unforgettable prime, dry-aged 1800º seared Ribeye Steak from BLT Steak in Trump Tower Waikiki as my choice for "The Best Think I Ever Ate" - "Cow Cow".
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          The absolute best thing I've ever eaten was Lamb Shanks braised in Red Wine and a Rissotto made with Porcini mushrooms. The dinner was served with a very fine Cabernet Sauvignon. 3 friends on a Saturday night.

oh, and I cooked it in my own kitchen.
          This sounds delicious! Recipe please!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            Two of my memories:

--My grandma’s shoyu pork (rafute). She made hers thin (about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide) and always with the rind, which for me was important. Lots of fat, a little bit of meat, but it was cooked so long the fat and meat simply melted in your mouth as you chewed on the rind. Heavenly! A little went a long way.

--My mom’s sparerib soup (sokibuni ni shimun). This sounds like it’s going to be really greasy and fatty and unhealthy, but it’s not. The preparation is very similar to pig’s feet soup, but the result is something that is surprisingly light and refreshing, very different from the hearty and savory pig’s feet soup (which I also like). With sparerib soup, the vegetables really stand out (carrots, daikon, Chinese mustard cabbage, shitake mushrooms, konbu, and the hint and aroma of ginger). The meat is almost an afterthought. Perhaps this is because my mom used country style ribs. Hers is the only sparerib soup I’ve ever tasted, so I can’t testify about the use of other styles of rib, or other recipes. But then again, as far as I know, Okinawan sparerib soup is not on the menu at any local restaurant or available at any other outlet. It is only available at home. Correct me if I’m wrong.
            I have yet to "master" making rafute. While mines comes out good, it just doesn't seem to be as good as how an Okinawan neighbor of my mom's made his.

That sokibuni ni shimun sounds oishii! I think Utage (next to Young's Fish Market) has that dish.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

How about giggling small kid time when you heard that the botoniko was being cooked?

Comment

Breakfast - a bowl of oatmeal with tons of butter/raw Hawaiian sugar, covered in coconut milk. Served with mom's crepe-ish cottage cheese pancakes. This will allow me to forget the side bacon.

Lunch - My burger. Mix Lays sour cream & onion tater chips into the ground beef and grill in an iron skillet til fairly burnt. Serve on a buttered pan toasted quality bun, with mayo and Bullseye BBQ soz.
                Maybe two.

Dinner - Candied Boston Baked Beans. Mix a can of pork & beans w/plenty onion, bacon, and maple syrup. Dump onto a flat pan and into the oven to broil (top heat). Stir occassionally to allow moisture to dis until it comes real thick. The last and most important thing - Beano.

Repeat every day.

Sticking to the rules - ribs from some caterer. I didn't get the recipe and now I've forgotten the name. So melt in-yo-mouth succulent you'd wanna eat the bone too.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

My wife's cooking! Anything else would be cause for divorce
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Pho Bistro Oxtail Soup! Glad I saw someone else post it too!

This thread is going to increase my need for hiking to burn off the calories I'm going to eat as a result of seeing all these tasty food suggestions!
                    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Working...
                    X