Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Boatbuilders?

Now this is neat!

I'm getting the secondary, electric outboard motor off of "Miha".
    Denis and I only used it 3 times and he had bought it brand new. I've become friends with Steve that bought her from me too.

Isn't life amazing?! So, I'll actually have a part of that boat aboard this one.
    Will have to create a whole brand new electrical system from...
    batteries, charger, switch panel, wiring, et al. No fuel or maintenance costs!
    I can then lock it below with no fuel fumes. Of course electric outboards are a lot lighter weight too. That's another plus.

Making lemonade here folks!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Don't know how I missed this thread!

MM this is exciting. Great looking boat with a remarkable history. Pacific crossing in 28 days in 18 Feet? WOW! A friend of mine just crossed from Cabo San Lucas to Ala Wai marina in a 58 ft trawler in 18 days. At one point he encountered 15 foot seas on the nose at 5 seconds for almost 48 hours! That is definitely an "E" ticket ride.

MM keep us posted with pictures as work progresses. And then you can take us on a virtual ride along.

Malohi!
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

First off... I truly love this boat. No complaining here.

I have to seriously attend to everywhere aboard.
          But what a boat when I'm done. It's my complete project to create as Denis did with Miha.

Just to show the extent of neglect and bad boatmanship by previous captains.
          Here's a photo of the bent pulpit, rusted fore stay, chain plate, etc...

I bought some new white dock lines and added the hose chafing gear.
          I am really happy and Mrs. Menehune is happy for me too!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            I bought some new white dock lines and added the hose chafing gear.
            West Marine or POP at Pier 38? Nice job with the chafing hose, and I assume you'll add some where the line goes over the deck too. And nice job of cleating the blue line too! The roller furling gear and sail look like they're in good shape.

I am really happy and Mrs. Menehune is happy for me too!
            And it doesn't get any better than that!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              1)Nice job with the chafing hose, and I assume you'll add some where the line goes over the deck too.

2)The roller furling gear and sail look like they're in good shape.
              1) I'll add bow chocks for the dock/anchor lines soon.
              Perko+Chrome+Skene+Bow+Chocks

Would really like to have cleats amidships also.
              For use of the spring line(s). Blue line in photo above.
              Presently, only 2 at the stern and 1 at the bow.

2) Yes, good condition. Will replace the thin line for the drum though.

Comment

Okay! I've got the 12v MotorGuide saltwater outboard now. Equals 54lbs thrust max. http://sites.mercurymarine.com/porta..._schema=PORTAL

And I decided to create a blog concerning the restoration of my little vessel.
                http://a1986catalinacapri18restoration.blogspot.com/

The entire interior has had a once over cleaning.
                Still need to use goo gone for leftover adhesives and rust stain remover for spots.

Comment

Re: Restoring a small sailboat

This morning I started on the electrical system and have everything needed for the outboard wiring installation,
                  along with a new 105ah deep cycle battery and 15amp 'smart' battery charger.

The Blog

Comment

I have the building plans for this sailboat MICRO and hope to make it happen someday.
                    I still have these plans...
                    Just told my wife that the next place we move into has got to have a driveway or parking area. I'm willing to get a vehicle to have a small boat on a trailer.

Check out this recent ad "Micro for sale" from Yakima, Washington.
                    http://yakima.craigslist.org/boa/1368086797.html
                    Only $1,800 including trailer. That's cheap!

Comment

Just wanted to share the joy of some Captain that built a "Pelican" Sailboat.
                      http://www.smallboatforum.com/PDFfil...scoPelican.pdf

The Maiden Voyage!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcnukf9VaaI

Whoa...
                      Last edited by Menehune Man; September 25, 2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

My friend Don bought a Alberg 30 sailboat hull and cabin.
                        It had been gutted by previous owners so the good part is that he has added hull stiffeners and has also started on the interior. Don has many of the necessary large ticket items already, diesel engine, stove, head(toilet), etc.
                        Luckily he works in the marine industry in Idaho so gets everything at super wholesale prices. The boat will be extra stout in every aspect. He has sailed to Hawaii 3 times along with many other stops across the Pacific. He and I have sailed inter-island here and around Vancouver island together. And been friends over 20 years. Should be ready to go by the end of this year and I'm invited! Mrs. Menehune has always said I can go if I get the chance!!!
                        Here's a link to a blog on his boat restoration. More has been completed since.
                        http://alberg30.blogspot.com/
                        Don is in touch with a guy on the East Coast who also restored an Alberg 30.
                        Real sweet sailboats! Here's a video clip... http://www.roundthecorner.com/vid/sail1.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Likanui...
                          "Did you (or anyone else here) go down to Waikiki and get a shot of that 72' sailboat that went aground? Turns out the owner lost another sailboat here the same way just six months ago. Hmmmm..."

Read in the Advertiser that the owner said 'The anchor line broke.'. What!!!
                          First off we haven't had any hurricane force winds lately, even if alittle blustery.
                          So something wasn't tied properly or a shackle(connector) failed.
                          The boat sure looks like a beauty! And no I haven't got there to take photos. The one in the newspaper was classic though. Glad no one got hurt.

Comment

My friend Don bought a Alberg 30 sailboat hull and cabin.
                            Here's a link to a blog on his boat restoration. More has been completed since.
                            http://alberg30.blogspot.com/

Don was here for a week and something cool is that I gave him a Festool hand-sander vacuum combo that I had scavenged off of Denis' boat before I sold it. Don bought a large luggage at the swap meet and got it home safely. The tool costs around $600 and had another $100 worth of disks.

He's going strong on it again!
                            Next summer is the proposed sail from San Fran with me aboard!

Comment

Nice gift, MM. Well done. Denis would approve.
                              And if you guys need crew next summer, you know who to call!

Comment

I just reread my post above and forgot to mention the most important point...
                                Don and Denis were buddies for many years and Don had been aboard "MIHA" on previous trips here. They both had a lot in common. Adventurers and skilled boatmen.

Festool sander

Festool vacuum

Comment

Working...
                                X