Any Boatbuilders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Boatbuilders?

Looks good! Is he going to put solar panels on that hard dodger?
    Also, I see single-course lifelines instead of doubles. Combined with the unusually long distance between the stanchions, perhaps the lifeline arrangement is temporary and unfinished? As I'm sure you know, the height and the gap would let any lowered headsail wash over the side, and the single-course and missing stanchions do almost nothing to prevent a man overboard situation. On the other hand... it sure makes the cabin look good! Nice job on the ports, too! Probably the best looking Columbia 28 I've ever seen. Well done!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The boat is totally self-sufficient now. There's a fairly large solar panel mounted on the rear of the cockpit railing. Hard to see on the previous photo, but next to the new 5HP Honda outboard. He also has an electric trolling motor and it's set as back up.

The complete electrical system has been redone. Deep cycle batteries, converter for 110v, panels, wires...
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        1)I see single-course lifelines instead of doubles. Combined with the unusually long distance between the stanchions, perhaps the lifeline arrangement is temporary and unfinished?
        2)As I'm sure you know, the height and the gap would let any lowered headsail wash over the side, and the single-course and missing stanchions do almost nothing to prevent a man overboard situation.

3)Nice job on the ports, too!
        4)Probably the best looking Columbia 28 I've ever seen. Well done!
        1) Very good eye buddy!
        There are two stanchions missing, one from each side. Unfinished.

2) When completed... lower lifeline and netting installed. Think big playpen. Works though.

3) I know! Thick and secured.

4) I agree whole-heartedly!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          My friend Denis owns/lives aboard a Columbia 28 in Keehi.
          His woodworking skills are incredible! A real perfectionist.
          The first shot of "Miha" is outdated. A lot of work has been done since then.
          The interior shots... EVERY piece of wood you see is new, along with the sink & stove. WOW!

Told you he was good. And a good friend too!
          Hello everyone,
          My close friend Denis past away today. It was okay. I was there.
          He was only 53 and had stomach cancer though. Bummer.
          We've been friends about 12 years now and have helped each other out as friends do along the way.
          Yesterday he officially gave his sailboat to me. Wow, I know!
          What an incredible gift, eh?

A quote by Denis: "Thou shalt not hassle. That's the 11th commandment". And he lived it.
          Really cool guy and Great friend. I'll miss our conversations...

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend. Words are meaningless in this situation R.I.P.

Comment

WOW, what a sad piece of news. I'm sorry for your loss, MM. Happy for your gain too, but sorrier for your loss.
              Got any big plans for the boat? Gonna re-name it in honor of Denis somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                WOW, what a sad piece of news. I'm sorry for your loss, MM. Happy for your gain too, but sorrier for your loss.
                Got any big plans for the boat? Gonna re-name it in honor of Denis somehow?
                Thanks Lika and the rest for condolences.

I told Denis back in Feb. when he told me what he was going to do, what I would.

There are big fancy blue lettering on the transom of "MIHA"
                I'll put smaller blue block letters just below it "by Denis" soon.

Completed the DLNR paperwork and informed Keehi Small Boat Harbor of the change in ownership today.

Comment

Due to recent financial woes for both my wife and I, I'm selling Miha.
                  Made a craigslist ad yesterday. Immediate contact and should be sold tomarrow. I'll try and make buddies with him.

What's better than owning a boat? A friend with one. HaHa!
                  Oh well. I still had helped my buddy Denis out and feel good about that.

Comment

That last post was "looking at it the wrong way!".

Had a Great day meeting Steve. He's got the ambition and finances to complete Miha. We went for a fun motor all through the boats at moorings and out the channel a ways. Then on to the bank, DOBOR, and back to Keehi Harbor office. Whew! Completed everything today.

Back up to Tuesday, when I placed the ad.
                    Immediately received an email of interest.
                    I sent my phone #. 15 minutes later received a call.
                    He's moving here at the end of May. Presently living in Alaska.
                    Lots of banter back and forth... and He arrived last night at 6pm!!!
                    Totally meant to be.

BEST PART!
                    I've made a new friend for sure.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Okay... I did it!

I now have a sailboat that I can afford. I bought it yesterday morning 7/08/09.
                      It's a 1980 Catalina Capri 18' and I got it for $1,800. (He was asking $3,000)
                      She needs some work, though did actually sail here from California 2 1/2 years ago.
                      So I have a project and as I told Sulu... "It's Menehune size!" HaHa!
                      Presently named TINI (tiny), after some love and money it'll become "Menehune Man".
                      Here's a brochure of new ones. Same basic boat, but no wing keel.
                      http://catalina18.net/c18_brochure.pdf

I'm headed down this morning to Keehi to clean the bottom and get ready for the boat inspection on Saturday by the harbor office. Wish me Happy Sailing!

Comment

Good luck to you MM and congratulations! This sounds like a great project for you and I know you'll giver her lots of love and care! Happy sailing! LL

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS, MM!!!! You should have tons of fun on that one. (Especially after you clean the growth off the bottom. Consider moving the winches closer to the tiller, too. You probably thought of that already.)
                          I should finally have the electrical system fixed on my boat this coming week. I haven't been able to use it for almost three months. ACK!

Comment

Right on Lika!

Hey, I'm now in touch with Shane St. Clair. http://www.sailscovare.com/bio.html

- 28 day solo Pacific crossing of 2,500 miles to Hawaii aboard an 18' Catalina, 1987.

The guy I bought it from had no knowledge... about anything concerning the boat really. But Tini will be a great boat again!

Comment

Went down to the boat this morning...
                              Someone cut the lock and stole my 5hp Nissan Outboard. They left the fuel tank and hose though??? It needs work and now I won't worry 'bout that and just buy a brand new outboard motor soon. Nothing will deter me or bring my spirits down concerning this boat!

Comment

Darned sorry to hear that, MM. When you buy a new one, consider either keeping it at home or at the least keep it below decks, locked up in the cabin.
                                Three or four years ago there was rash of outboard engine thefts all around Kaneohe Bay. They got about a dozen or so before they were caught. They were stealing them from marinas and from boats tied up in front of private homes too. Sheesh.

Comment

Working...
                                X