Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    Last night Kim Gennaula told us all that she'll be going up with the Tbirds on Saturday.
    Hmmm. That should make for a good video.

I remember Michael Perry hosting Hawaiian Moving Company from the back seat. Didn't miss a beat when going straight up. It was cool watching the reef runway in the background.

Comment

Re: Thunderbird over the North Shore

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      I am so excited about this! Last night Kim Gennaula told us all that she'll be going up with the Tbirds on Saturday. So, while I don't officially hate Mrs. Guy Hagi, at this point I am so jealous I'm ready to write a column about it, haha!
      The closest I've gotten to pulling that many Gs was a couple of flights in a Pitts S-2B out at Dillingham Field on the North Shore with Top Gun Tours.

Take the most extreme rollercoaster you've ever ridden and multiply that times 100 and that give you an idea of the sensation and adrenaline rush pulling aerobatic maneuvers up to 6 Gs in a high performance aircraft. There's no "track" and no limit, except the capability of the aircraft itself. The Pitts is a beast.

Inverted loops feel like you're gonna' be ripped right out of your seatbelt. The Pitts is a snappy little sucker, and with its short airframe, landing can be tricky, as it requires an approach speed near 200mph; which doing so on a taildragger is "interesting" to say the least! Landing was actually the only part of the flights I really prayed. lol

Here's the Advertiser coverage of the Thunderbirds, including a graphic of the "show box".

I took the day off tomorrow just for the two "preview" shows. Yay!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Lavagal, I was out and about and in central oahu there were a lot of puffy clouds, like right over head and further away, blocking my view of the horizon. from maybe 2:03 to 2:12 I could hear them, then it would get faint, then hear them again and I even looked directly up when it was the loudest and I never saw a thing....it was even funny cuz at times the sound was pretty dang obvious, and then would get distant again.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
          Lavagal, I was out and about and in central oahu there were a lot of puffy clouds, like right over head and further away, blocking my view of the horizon. from maybe 2:03 to 2:12 I could hear them, then it would get faint, then hear them again and I even looked directly up when it was the loudest and I never saw a thing....it was even funny cuz at times the sound was pretty dang obvious, and then would get distant again.
          That wasn't the Thunderbirds. That was Steve Fossett, surveying the island in a flying saucer (UFO).
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Some of you should be able to see and hear them right now. Pics, anyone? (yeah, guess they'd just be a blur, lol)

Comment

Dig this! My home office is on the ridge up St. Louis Heights, and the Thunderbirds have been flying right by my office window for the past 15 minutes. So low they fly, those buggas! Just now they look like they were headed into Palolo Valley and ZOOM, off to Waimanalo side. If this isn't awesome, I don't know what is. I feel like I'm 10 years old again!!

It was great to see that at least one female pilot is here for the show (pulls out the binoculars to see if I can read her name on the side of one of the planes)....nope, too fast already! And my kitten's head is going back and forth, back and forth watching them, too.

Comment

OMG, now they're circling over Palolo Valley. I swear one of the pilots winked at me. Hi, cutie! (Waves wildly from window...running to upper deck to catch Waikiki view.) Four flew over from Manoa side in formation...one behind them taking it easy...

This belongs in the "Best Part of Today (So Far)" thread!

Comment

OK, one plane...into the deep part of Palolo Valley and straight up, up, up... almost vertical climb. I'm thinking a rainbow will appear any second, as it starts to drizzle blessings up here...(waving umbrella...hana hou, TB's...hana hou!)

Comment

This flew right over my workplace.

A few more at this link.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Now, I feel just like a kid just seeing this pic and how you got it without any blur, and you SAW this, and heard it, etc! Way to go, Mel! You're rockin it, as usual, thank you.

A lot of excited folks called KSSK and their calls were of course put on-air. Too cool we get the thunderbirds, next month is it, too?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

This flew right over my workplace.

A few more at this link.

Wow, Mel! Thanks for posting these. That's some camera you have!

Comment

Wow, Mel. Those are some impressive shots, especially from a digital camera. No blur.

Comment

I was driving down Koko Head Ave. this morning on my way to work and I saw them flying over Wilhelmina Rise.

It was really cool to see them fly over so close, but after a while the sound got too much for us to bear.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                              Too cool we get the thunderbirds, next month is it, too?
                              That would be the Blue Angels. They'll be performing on October 13 and 14, 2007 at Marine Corps Base Hawaii on the windward side of Oahu.

I attended both their Sat. & Sun. shows in 2004 at MCBH. Actually, the Hawaii Air National Guard's F-15 demonstration was more intense! Still, any air show involving jets always is.

Well, watching this morning's "preview" was disappointing. At least from the vantage point I was at, standing near Ft. DeRussy right on Waikiki Beach. Here's some spectactors finding a spot there this morning...

Actually I moved from DeRussy to the beach in front of the Shorebird restaurant...

Not to really expect much though, as it was an early performance, and seemed the pilots were mostly just surveying and getting a feel of Honolulu's terrain. If you look at the first shot I took, notice Diamond Head crater. While oblivious to most, to a pilot heading east in the "showbox", you could get in trouble REAL QUICK. ....

Image courtesy of Honolulu Advertiser

Look at the showbox's trajectory heading east. At that speed, you'd slam into that easily if not careful.

My observation was that the pilots were taking that into account, as they often did circles around Diamond Head.. the most prominent obstacle in their flight path.

What WAS disappointing is that they spent too much time burning gas out in the ocean, when they could have done that circling Honolulu. Sure, safety is a concern, but they were circling Honolulu anyway! They didn't do much aerobatic stunts. Just inverted and knife-edge, and multi-point rollover passes. Formation flyovers are cool, but not as gripping as the "play chicken" stuff!

My girlfriend watched this morning's "warm-up" from the rooftop of our building in Waikiki, where she said it was AWESOME, as she could see them from every vantage point as they circled around over Honolulu city, including some low-altitude passes. Absolut C, if you wanna' great spot to watch it, just go on our roof! That's where I'll be at 2pm sharp!

If you live in a high rise in Honolulu, or up on the mountain, you should have a great view if you go on your roof. IMO, better than on the beach in front of the showbox.

You'll know when the show starts and ends, as there will be commercial aircraft taking off and landing immediately before and after the show, when the restricted airspace is open.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai, which building in waikiki are you referring to?

i'm still not sure where i'm gonna watch the show from (today) and time is running out! gatta make a decision soon!
                                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                                X