Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

I think driving and texting is so much worse than talking on the phone. When you're texting, you're not watching the road at all. You can't! And with cell phones now, you can email, watch things, look at pictures, check your Facebook, access the internet, find songs to play...all while driving (or instead of). THAT is what really scares me. People on the phone may not drive at their best, but people doing the other 1001 things on their phones drive worse than any drunk driver I've ever seen.

I really don't want to be taken out by someone checking their MySpace.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      Here's a PSA being aired in the UK aimed at drivers (esp. teens) who don't realize the risk and danger of driving and texting at the same time. And if you ask me, we need the same kind of PSA in this country.

As a warning, this is pretty graphic stuff to watch. But if watching this re-enactment upsets you, then think about how much more traumatic it would be for you or a loved one to be involved in a real-life accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBoQAueU-EI
      Opps, a dead link. Here's a link that currently works.

Looking back on this thread, I see there was quite a bit of discussion centering around the distinction of "hands-free" vs. "handheld" devices. But in light of the NTSB's recommendation that all such devices be banned while driving (except for use in emergencies), this debate could one day be rendered moot.

A federal safety official says a 19-year-old pickup truck driver involved in a deadly highway pileup in Missouri last year sent or received 11 texts in the 11 minutes immediately before the accident.

National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Deborah Hersman said this week it's clear the pickup driver was manually, cognitively and visually distracted.

In connection with the findings, the NTSB recommended on Tuesday that states ban all driver use of cell phones and other hand held electronics, except in times of emergency. The ban should apply to both hand held and hands-free electronics, the Board said.
      I believe it was the same agency's recommendation that convinced Hawaii (as well as almost every other state) to pass mandatory seatbelt laws for both adults and children, or risk losing out on federal highway funding. If the prospect of losing out on federal dollars is dangled, once again, I think most states will eventually capitulate to the safety board's recommendation. Which means, bye-bye to Bluetooth headsets in the car.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

More power to them! People don't realize how much danger they impose on society with their distractions while driving, most are totally oblivious.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

But in light of the NTSB's recommendation that all such devices be banned while driving (except for use in emergencies), this debate could one day be rendered moot.
          That was some time ago. The last I heard is no one is really considering changing anything. At least not in Hawaii. Banning handsfree is not enforceable. So the Police are against trying to do that.

As for the NTSB:
          A federal safety official says a 19-year-old pickup truck driver involved in a deadly highway pileup in Missouri last year sent or received 11 texts in the 11 minutes immediately before the accident.
          I think they picked a poor poster child. Yes, his actions caused the initial accident and set the stage. But it appears to me that it was the failure on the part of the bus drivers that made the accident deadly. From the NTSB's own report:

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the initial Gray Summit collision was distraction, likely due to a text messaging conversation being conducted by the GMC pickup driver, which resulted in his failure to notice and react to a Volvo tractor that had slowed or stopped in response to a queue that had developed in a work zone. The second collision, between the lead school bus and the GMC pickup, was the result of the bus driver’s inattention to the forward roadway due to excessive focus on a motorcoach parked on the shoulder of the road. The final collision was due to the driver of the following school bus not maintaining the recommended minimum distance from the lead school bus in the seconds preceding the accident.
          You can read the whole report here.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            That was some time ago. The last I heard is no one is really considering changing anything. At least not in Hawaii.
            Ah, these things take time, GG. Traffic safety experts were calling for mandatory seat belt use going back to the 1960s. But it wasn't until a couple of decades later that states finally came around to accepting these recommendations and passed them into law.

I never said that laws banning use of so-called hands-free mobile devices were going to be passed into law this year. Or even next. But I think it will be passed into law sometime in the future. Sooner, whenever the feds decide to make passage of such laws a requirement in order to qualify for highway funding.

Banning handsfree is not enforceable.
            Oh, I don't think anyone expects HPD to pull over motorists merely for the use of a hands-free device. But if he/she gets into some kind of accident or seems to be driving in an unusual/unsafe manner and the police officer suspects that a driver was pre-occupied by a call, all it takes is an inquiry to the cell phone company and,.... ta-dah! The exact date, time, and appx. location of a call can be provided. And that, GG, provides the evidence that is needed to prove that a driver's phone was being used at the time of the incident.

As for the NTSB:

I think they picked a poor poster child. Yes, his actions caused the initial accident and set the stage. But (SNIP)
            But nothing! The errors of other motorists involved in that terrible accident does nothing to excuse the actions of the distracted driver who triggered the whole thing in the first place.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

But if he/she gets into some kind of accident or seems to be driving in an unusual/unsafe manner and the police officer suspects that a driver was pre-occupied by a call, all it takes is an inquiry to the cell phone company and,.... ta-dah! The exact date, time, and appx. location of a call can be provided. And that, GG, provides the evidence that is needed to prove that a driver's phone was being used at the time of the incident.
              Unless there was a passenger. Then it can be claimed that the passenger was using the phone.

But nothing! The errors of other motorists involved in that terrible accident does nothing to excuse the actions of the distracted driver who triggered the whole thing in the first place.
              Except it was the errors of the bus drivers - drivers we normally hold at a higher standard, who made it deadly. All I'm saying is the facts don't live up the headline. If accidents due to texting were that common, I'm sure they could have found another better poster child. I'm just saying.

BTW, the link to the video is broken. I wanted to take another look at that to see how many people the second collision killed. Generally, smashing into a stationary car puts the driver of the moving car "at fault".
              Last edited by GeckoGeek; February 10, 2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2016/02/10/bill-wou...in-crosswalks/

Don't walk.

Comment

Working...
                X