Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is a Gorn always aggresive?

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I was a contractor for awhile; had to have a secret clearance, so I got to hear and see things I won't talk about. I guess you needed a TS! Rumor has it there's another above TS that doesn't even have a name.
    Plus there's always "need to know."
    Half the stuff I don't even know why they bother.

K
    Yeah Secret clearances won't get you past the elevator doors heading underground. Even at Top Secret, it becomes a "Need to Know" level to get you into the workshops. Heck you need a TS clearance just to get into the chow halls there too. Ever had a Top Secret Breakfast? I can't tell you what we ate...it's a secret...duh!!!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Gorn vs. Dick Cheney on Pay per Chew.

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36769422/?GT1=43001

Stephen Hawking thinks it's not a good thing to meet intelligent alien life forms.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          To be fair there wasn't a sign on Cestus III that said:

No trespassing
          Property of the Gorn Confederation
          Violators will be shot, blown up, stoned
          and whatever is left over will be served
          for next week's breakfast (yes we like to slow
          cook things too)

Star Trek Deep Space Nine made a few references to Cestus III during that series run and it seems to be accessiable to the Federation of Planets so one could infer that the Federation and the Gorn worked something up.
          according to the Star Fleet Battles strategy game series from the early 80's the the Gorn Confederacy was not part of the Federation but closely allied with the Federation due to the mutual alliance against the Romulan Star Empire. Their ships and weapons systems were more advanced than the Romulan ships but also had plasma based weapons. Less powerful than the type R plasma torpedos but less drain to charge and allowed for better balance with ships with many type I phasers. Star Fleet Battles isn't totally accepted as Trek canon but for a long while in the 80's and 90's it was the only thing that kept the series with new content and expanded quite a bit on the history of the Star Trek universe.

SFB was probably the most complex turn based tactical strategy game ever. In the heyday I was the errata master and won many a battle based on my intimate knowledge of the fine print of the rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Battles

If you're a star trek fan, the SSD ship design sheets were the best part about the game. check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36769422/?GT1=43001

Stephen Hawking thinks it's not a good thing to meet intelligent alien life forms.
            Well, I'm certain he's having difficulty meeting intelligent native life forms.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
              Star Fleet Battles isn't totally accepted as Trek canon but for a long while in the 80's and 90's it was the only thing that kept the series with new content and expanded quite a bit on the history of the Star Trek universe.
              More like the Star Fleet Battles Universe. There are new races in SFB that are not part of Paramount's/Roddenberry's ST Universe canon.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                More like the Star Fleet Battles Universe. There are new races in SFB that are not part of Paramount's/Roddenberry's ST Universe canon.
                yeah they took a lot of liberties with the universe but the game was so damn fun that i really didn't care.

one thing I thought was cool is that they had the kzinti. i think they came from the animated series but got cancelled due to some legal mumbo jumbo with larry niven's legal team.

I was even ok with the inclusion of the Andromedans, the Lyrans and the ISG - although now that I think about it, I don't even know what the species looked like. The ships were way cool. I loved the PA Panels on the Andromedans and the Hellbore cannon on the Lyran ships.

What was your favorite ship? I played the the Hydran Ranger a lot in small lt cruiser battles.

Comment

Larry Niven actually wrote the episode The Slaver Weapon for the animated series. Its just that certain parties never considered the events of the animated series as actually happening in the Star Trek history.

The Lyrans look like Kzinti, the ISC are made of various races (like the Federation) and the Andromedans just use robots for their boarding parties.

The Hellbore is a Hydran weapon not a Lyran one.

When playing Star Fleet battles I tend to use Kzinti starships.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    Larry Niven actually wrote the episode The Slaver Weapon for the animated series. Its just that certain parties never considered the events of the animated series as actually happening in the Star Trek history.

The Lyrans look like Kzinti, the ISC are made of various races (like the Federation) and the Andromedans just use robots for their boarding parties.

The Hellbore is a Hydran weapon not a Lyran one.

When playing Star Fleet battles I tend to use Kzinti starships.
                    Oop, that was a brain freeze. Yes. Hydran weapon. The Lyrans had that shield weapon that did damage when ramming or something.

I never got into playing with the Kzinti. Too many fighters and drones maybe.

Did you play with free movement or plotted? Early on we used free movement but the level of skill and forethought made plotted movement the only way to play the game.

When playing plotted, the Andromedians seemed to have such an advantage since the battles seemed to drag out for much longer and the pa panels just made taking potshots fruitless guess the drones were effective huh? but the advantage of the transporter bombs were devastating at close range almost too much to overcome with their flexibiltiy.

boy been a while since i thought much about SFB. nice thread.

Comment

What was your favorite ship? I played the the Hydran Ranger a lot in small lt cruiser battles.
                      Been a long time since I played SFB. I'm a Fan of All Things Klingons, so I always go for any modified D7 Cruiser.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The Lyrans had that shield weapon that did damage when ramming or something.
                        The Expanding Shield Generator (ESG).

I never got into playing with the Kzinti. Too many fighters and drones maybe.
                        I don't mind the drones, I think the amount of drones that a Kzinti ship can launch and control seem to be okay with me.

Did you play with free movement or plotted?
                        As a choice I would go with free movement, but I remember a time when the game only had plotted movement.

There was one SFB game that a group of us played a long time ago which involved each of us having a fleet of ships and a planet to defend on a kind of large map. I don't remember which race I was playing at the time but my planet was about to be attacked by a group of Gorn ships and somehow these ships ended their movement in the same space on which my planet was on. We was kind of wondering if that was legal or not so a check on the rulebook at the time said if that were to happen, the ship is destoryed.

From that point on we always made fun of Gorns, planets and how slow the Gorns react to things like that.

Comment

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...215155239.html

Oh, it's still on!

Comment

The first season of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (ST:SNW) had 2 episodes dealing with the Gorn.

However I won't say anything about how the Gorn were presented in ST:SNW. I am just adding to this thread for the search issue in vBulletin 5.6.5 in HawaiiThreads.

Comment

Working...
                            X