Cloverfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cloverfield

I haven't seen The Bourne Ultimatum or The Blair Witch Project so I can't compare Cloverfield to them. Two other movies that did use handheld camera work that I have seen are Narc and Three Kings. For those two movies the handheld camera work is very limited in it's on screen time (no more than 15 minutes) and is meant to show the point of view just behind of one character in the movie.

Cloverfield on the other hand with the exception of the ending credits and about 10 to 15 seconds worth of screen test patterns and some text that says Department of Defense, found Digital SD card and other text at the beginning of the movie the entire movie is shown from this handheld camera operated by one of the characters in the movie. For the most part you don't see the operator but the operator is saying stuff.

Hud who operates the camera for the bulk of the film says a lot of things and is normally in back of the group during the disaster part of the movie. During the party scene he is not operating the camera very well so you get to see people's head cut off, camera tilted, that sort of thing. It's during this part of the movie that it's the most humorous.

I just came from seeing the 5:40 pm showing of Cloverfield at Ward (#8) today. This time around I sat in the near the top of the middle section.

Two things to watch out and pay attention to in this movie. First of all are the clocks. The other is Rob and Beth's trip to Coney Island which is the events on April 27 while the main focus of the movie is May 22/23.

The Coney Island scene, the hint is look at the boat on the right hand side of the screen, something happens behind of the boat (to the left of the boat).

As far as staying to watch the credits, the ending music is pretty good and while there is no ending scene there is some sort of audio clip at the end and oh yeah a lot of people worked on this movie.
    Last edited by helen; January 21, 2008, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Man I dug this film. It did produce one vomiter in the audience though. All were warned at the ticket window. The inside scoop says they have as many as five stories all taking place simultaneously during the attack. Look for multiple sequels. I may just have to go see it again.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I threw up when I saw Blair Witch at the theater.

At least I made it to the car this time when I threw up. The boy said that he noticed a lot of people were closing their eyes during the movie because they started feeling sick too. You guys were lucky if you were warned at the ticket desk. We didn't get any sort of warning!
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

When I saw the movie for the first time I was verbally warned by the ticket office that the camera moves. Thing is for me I have been waiting 6 months for this movie to come out, looking at the previews, visiting at one of the web sites and I am going to wimp out from not seeing this movie because of jerky camera movements. No way.

Then again if they made a version of this movie without the jerky camera movements I wouldn't complain either since one could explain it as another feature of Rob's camera.

I didn't get any sort of warning when I saw the movie the second time.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            When I saw the movie for the first time I was verbally warned by the ticket office that the camera moves. Thing is for me I have been waiting 6 months for this movie to come out, looking at the previews, visiting at one of the web sites and I am going to wimp out from not seeing this movie because of jerky camera movements. No way.

Then again if they made a version of this movie without the jerky camera movements I wouldn't complain either since one could explain it as another feature of Rob's camera.

I didn't get any sort of warning when I saw the movie the second time.
            But did you enjoy the film Helen?
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Like I said before I have mixed feelings about this movie. Do I hate it? No. Tolerate it? Sure. Enjoy it? Enough to see it at least one more time. Comes out on DVD? Depends on what the extra features has to offer.

Comment

This is one BIG monster, It's parasites are scary enough. I liked this movie a lot because it was done different.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

The camera movements made my fiancee a little ill, this film is certainly not for those with a low tolerance to motion sickness.

But I thought it was pretty good. The acting wasn't the greatest, but then again if I were to put myself into that situation I'm sure that some of my reactions would seem like real cheesy acting, too.
                  Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Picked up the DVD today at Costco for $18. Package says they have deleted scenes but I suspect it would be from the hand held camera's point of view.

Comment

Cloverfield *LOL* is a movie you just watch ONCE its good enuff.
                      no need to see again.
                      Now a movie equivalent to Cloverfield lets saaaay

I do not mind seeing OVER and OVER

ID4 touches all bases where the udda one IMO seemed lopsided

- I was booooooooored to death at the begining
                      - The movie FINALLY starts rolling when the explosions are seen in the movie
                      - I wished "Hud" the cam guy would shut the #$@ Up

Comment

The Coney Island scene, the hint is look at the boat on the right hand side of the screen, something happens behind of the boat (to the left of the boat).

As far as staying to watch the credits, the ending music is pretty good and while there is no ending scene there is some sort of audio clip at the end and oh yeah a lot of people worked on this movie.
                        While this scene is watchable on a big movie screen you can barely see it on 21" TV screen. Had to zoom 4x to see the effect.

Mostly I have been listening the ending score a few times since that is not available anywhere else at this time.

Picked up the DVD today at Costco for $18. Package says they have deleted scenes but I suspect it would be from the hand held camera's point of view.
                        Only had 4 deleted scenes and 2 alternate endings. The interesting parts of the DVD were the behind the scenes of shooting the movie, the effects of the creature and the director's commentary.

Comment

Working...
                        X