Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Originally posted by nikki View Post
    I just started reading Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts. My first Nora Roberts book.

i like her novels...she also writes as JD Robb..try the death series

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      Special Topics in Calamity Physics...Lord, help me get through this awfully pretentious piece of brilliant writing (groan).
      I borrowed that book and tried, I swear I tried, but I could not get through it. Right now I'm reading The Sex Lives of Cannibals.

Comment

"Hitching Rides With Buddha" by Canadian humorist Will Ferguson. (Originally published in abridged form as "Hokkaido Highway Blues.")

While teaching English in southern Japan, he decides to follow Sakura Zensen (the Cherry Blossom Front), as the cherry blossoms appear across Japan. He starts at Cape Sata at the southern tip of Kyushu, and heads for Cape Sōya at the northern tip of Hokkaido --- hitchhiking for as much of the trip as possible.

Ferguson's writing style will appeal to fans of Bill Bryson's travel writings.

Comment

I just finished the audiobook of The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. It really should be listened to rather than read since the demon, Wormwood, is performed by the brilliant John Cleese. You'd think Lewis had Cleese in mind when he wrote this. As to the book itself, Lewis's Wormwood very effectively reminds us of the various methods the true enemy uses to lead us astray.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I just could not finish that other pretentious novel. (I cannot STAND when I cannot finish a book, but eh...) I picked up Lipstick Jihad which is so far interesting and surprising as well as a bit unnerving, considering how frequently the notion is being tossed about that we should attack them. That fact isn't the thrust of the book, but I cannot help but wonder about the humanity that lies in a country, which no other has held the place in my psyche growing up like Iran has.

pax

Comment

How We Die by Sherwin B. Nuland.

It is a fascinating book about what happens to the human body when it dies from various causes.

Comment

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I'm about halfway through and not sure if I am going to finish reading it. The writing and the characters are discordant. Even if it's supposed to be discordant because it's a depiction of madness, there's something lacking. I 'm halfway through the book and don't really care about the characters. It's not just that the story or the characters are repelling (because there can be compelling stories that are also repelling) but there's nothing engaging in the book so far.

Comment

The Cornel West Reader

I wanted to see how he has influenced Michael Eric Dyson, yet have different perspectives on contemporary social issues. I must say that West is more philosophical, but does not play throw words around like Dyson does.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Half way through Good Grief by Lolly Winston

Comment

Just started reading "Dreams from My Father" by Barrack Obama.

Comment

Don Quixote
                        Cervantes

Wow, dis bugga long!
                        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

eric and i are reading the captivating memoir, "the tender bar" by jr moehringer.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross.

An entire book about 20th Century composers may sound academic, but the writing is really riveting. It's interesting to read how the likes of Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Schoenberg and Debussy all reacted to each other's work.

Comment

Just starting Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz and Eat, Pray, Love by E. Gilbert.

Also, if anyone knows a 5th or 6th grade boy who doesn't enjoy reading, I can heartily recommend The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, and the other 2 books in this Olympians series. My son loves them.
                              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Outlaws by Kevin Sampson. I'm sorry I bought it and wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                                X