Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another reason to eat locally grown food

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Are there really people who post with the goal of increasing their count in mind? People who look at their number as a source of satisfaction?
    Earlier in the day, I requested to have my Post Count to be set back to Zero so no moa Pilikia. I LOVE HT! I don't care about how many Posts I have. I get no satisfaction from it. My satisfaction comes from sharing Aloha and Love.

Ok..ok...sometimes I get pisst. I'm only Human.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

This time it's products made by Castleberry Foods:

State officials yesterday warned retailers and consumers to avoid opening or eating 92 different products made at a plant linked to a botulism outbreak.

At least two of the items, which range from chili sauce to corned beef hash to dog food, were found in Hawai'i yesterday, according to local officials. The canned meat products made by Castleberry's Food Co. were included in an expanded voluntary product recall announced by the manufacturer over the weekend.
      The products being pulled are canned chili sold at Costco and supermarkets like Foodland:
      Cattle Drive chili, one of the recalled products, is sold at several Hawaii stores, a state Health Department spokeswoman said. Costco has removed the cans from shelves.

Foodland, which carries Best Yet chili, another recalled product, has also pulled the cans from shelves.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Nice to know that the State of Hawaii's Department of Health and local supermarkets are on the ball with this outbreak of botulism.

So what about other locations around the country (or world) are your local Health Departments and stores dealing with this crisis as well?

Comment

Helen, that's an excellent question. Sigh, dang watching the news about this, what came to my mind was the dollar stores that often have brands of food even and it'll be brands that are a bit obscure and they are selling them cheaply. Are these stores "on the ball" about this?
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Free movie about high tech farming

Anyone who's interested in knowing how and where big business is producing most of the food you eat today should try to make it to a free screening of
            "Our Daily Bread" up at the UH next Wednesday evening.

The Austrian documentary by Nikolaus Geyrhalter explores industrial food production and high-tech farming, set against a soundtrack of the sounds of conveyor belts and giant machines. The observations are presented without comment.

It will be shown at 7 p.m. next Wednesday at the University of Hawaii-Manoa's Yukiyoshi Room, Krauss 012 as part of the Sakamaki Extraordinary Lecture Series.

"Our Daily Bread" won the jury award at the 2005 International Documentary Festival in Amsterdam, was named best film at the 2006 ECOCINEMA Film Festival, took the grand prize in the 2006 Paris Festival International of Films on the Environment and was a selection in the 2007 New York Film Festival.

Admission is free. Call 956-8246.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Free movie about high tech farming

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              Anyone who's interested in knowing how and where big business is producing most of the food you eat today should try to make it to a free screening of
              "Our Daily Bread" up at the UH next Wednesday evening.
              that sounds great. we'll be in town by then, so we'll try to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalalinder View Post
                that sounds great. we'll be in town by then, so we'll try to make it.
                Lucky you! Wish I could go see it too!

Miulang

Comment

Lucky you! Wish I could go see it too!

Miulang
                  it might be on netflix if you have that.

Comment

You can find a couple of excerpts on YouTube.

Comment

You can't even trust the labels

With the recent tainted food scares, the whole issue of "truth in labelling" is rearing its ugly head again.

The Agriculture Department, bowing to pressure from the meat lobby, the grocery industry and a Republican-dominated Capitol Hill, postponed the launching to 2004, then 2006 and finally to 2008, with the exception of seafood, which has been labeled since 2005. But the litany of recent reports on tainted food -- E. coli in spinach, salmonella in peanut butter, botulism in chili and the still-growing list of tainted Chinese products -- has prompted action.

Last month, the House Agriculture Committee updated the labeling law and the full House included it as part of a complex and long farm bill.

But don't expect labels to immediately sprout throughout grocery stores. The Senate still has to weigh in, and then the Department of Agriculture has to write rules telling everyone in the food supply chain what the law actually demands. Also, President Bush has threatened a veto of the entire farm package because of its tax and farm-subsidy implications.

...The updated law would require that beef, pork, lamb, goat, fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables carry a label with the origin of the food. The no-man's-land of labeling would be the grocery store aisles of processed food in cans, jars and pouches. Labeling country-of-origin for processed food is voluntary and the new law would not change that.
                      Miulang

Comment

Re: You can't even trust the labels

and the full House included it as part of a complex and long farm bill.
                        Let's put the blame where it belongs - putting a bunch of marginally related things into one "package" so the pork has to be passed with the essentials.

Comment

Working...
                        X