Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coral Infection

Coral infection of the sole of my foot.

I took some lessons on a long board and after quite a while I could even stand up --- sort of. ( I bounded forward like a gazelle and then would tumble off). Then I must have stepped on some coral on the way to the beach but thought nothing of it.
    The sole of my right foot became very hard by the time I got back to England. It wasnt painful but I was referred to the Royal Hospital where I was treated for two days. The sole was like a flat piece of wood and it was explained that I had growing coral beneath the surface of my skin.
    This was treated with anti-biotic cream and responded well.

On a fun note ? One of the doctors told me that she was going to report me to the Customs and Excise for trying to smuggle parts of Hawaii back to England.
    She said, "Don't try to object 'cause you won't have a leg to stand on."

Re: Coral Infection

I have heard (but maybe you better check it out on snopes first to avoid derision) that coral, or at least some kinds, actually shoot out some kind of stingers that can penetrate flesh.
    This is just from memory, though, and FYI.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I remember back in the 70s when I was out at a beach along the Waianae Coast and didn't know the "rule" about not having your back to the waves. I was sitting on a huge rock with a bunch of kids from our clinic when a huge wave came. All the kids knew better and jumped off the rock with the wave. The wave took me and smashed me against the rock and some coral. Luckily I got out with help from others but my legs were all cut up and bleeding. I went over to the dispensary at Barbers Point and remember them telling me that the coral could grow inside if they didn't scrape all of it out. The cleaning of the wounds hurt WAY more than the actual knocking against the coral.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
        I remember back in the 70s when I was out at a beach along the Waianae Coast and didn't know the "rule" about not having your back to the waves. I was sitting on a huge rock with a bunch of kids from our clinic when a huge wave came. All the kids knew better and jumped off the rock with the wave. The wave took me and smashed me against the rock and some coral. Luckily I got out with help from others but my legs were all cut up and bleeding. I went over to the dispensary at Barbers Point and remember them telling me that the coral could grow inside if they didn't scrape all of it out. The cleaning of the wounds hurt WAY more than the actual knocking against the coral.
        I am sorry that it was a painful experience for you. I know how painful the scraping can be but you must have suffered much more than I did. It was concern more than anything about my foot which made me go to the School of Tropical Medicine at the Royal hospital.
        The doctor took a lot of time telling me ( as if she was talking to a child) the water in my body contains salt, along with the ambient temperature that provides a safe haven for any coral spores.

If this happened to you in the 70's, then you must have made a good recovery.

Comment

Working...
        X