Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bored at the Doctor

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
    My problem isn't when doctors take the time to chat and learn about you. I enjoy BSing with the doc as much as the next guy. My problem is when these doctors try to squeeze in as many patients as possible and then BS with the patients as if they only had one appointment per hour. Keep learning about the patients but don't be greedy - realize that you can't schedule as many in a day.
    The problem with scheduling is that you can't account for the emergencies that come up. If docs are late for the first appt, it's usually because they were doing rounds at the hospital and something urgent came along. Same for scheduling patients for visits. There are always those urgent cases (aka sick crying babies or whatever) that end up being crammed in because you don't want to turn away someone who is suffering, even though you hate inconveniencing those who scheduled in advance but whose medical needs aren't as urgent. When possible, I know our office would try to cancel appts if we knew the doc wasn't going to make it for a lengthy time. But sometimes, in the heat of treating people, you lose track of time altogether. It happens. I know that docs would call our office, tell us they'd be here late and give us an estimated time they could be there, but usually their actual arrival time was later than whatever time they gave us.

I agree that the wisest thing to do was what someone else suggested--call before you come in to see if things are running on time. And if they aren't--you can either delay coming in or make sure you bring things to do to occupy your time while you wait.

Another issue affecting timeliness of appts and getting seen is patients themselves. Many times they schedule an appt but the show up late. Then you try to juggle patients by moving up those who are already there, but it still throws a wrench in the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
      my simple solution for appts @ md offices that often come with long waits is to call an hour in advance of the appt to ask if they're running late and how late they are running.
      What a really good idea! I'm going to try that next time I go see my ortho surgeon.

Thanks Gecko, BS = bull***t or talk story, shoot the breeze, chew the fat, etc.
      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Meeeeehhhhh! I have a DR appointment today, and this thread luckily reminded me of the importance of bringing along something to do, especially in my situation today, where they squeezed me in last minute and I know I've been 'double booked'. Homework it is!! PS - I just found out I got a(nother) A on my last test! Yay!!
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Yay! Congrats! Hope you get in faster than I did.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Not so bad...was all done with the Dr. appt. within an hour and a half, which seemed to fly by because I was doing my homework. Finished the assignment right before the doctor came in, and all was well. yay!

My Dr is sooo cool and such a great Dr that I don't mind waiting at all.
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
            X